U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 04:20 PM

52 posts, read 233,645 times

Advertisements

Hi there!

I live in a small converted apt. in Murray Hill. I'm not on the lease. I just found my roommate on craigslist and she seemed to be nice and relatively normal. So, I just pay her rent and she pays the landlord (I don't know the total rent! I feel like I'm kind of being screwed, anyway). Apparently, her brother is living in his car and needs a place to crash! I'm very uncomfortable with the situation but she keeps arguing with me about it. She says that people in NYC have friends and boyfriends/girlfriends over all the time (I just moved here from So. Cal). I understand the occasional overnight visitor, but not for four weeks! Can someone advise?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2008, 04:51 PM

151 posts, read 470,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chooks View Post
Hi there!

I live in a small converted apt. in Murray Hill. I'm not on the lease. I just found my roommate on craigslist and she seemed to be nice and relatively normal. So, I just pay her rent and she pays the landlord (I don't know the total rent! I feel like I'm kind of being screwed, anyway). Apparently, her brother is living in his car and needs a place to crash! I'm very uncomfortable with the situation but she keeps arguing with me about it. She says that people in NYC have friends and boyfriends/girlfriends over all the time (I just moved here from So. Cal). I understand the occasional overnight visitor, but not for four weeks! Can someone advise?
According to most leases, a visitor is allowed to stay up to 7 days before he/she is considered another tenent and must go through the review process, etc. Even though you are not on the lease you still have rights and if this roommate would want to evict you, would still have to go to court if you refused. She may also have been illegally subletting the apartment to you. Do you have any proof that you paid rent? Cheques? Receipts?

Anyway, back to your question: 4 weeks is totally inappropriate. Tell your roommate that if he/she wants to let them stay for a whole month, you would like to pay less rent -- pay whatever it would be if the rent was split among 3 people, not 2.

Old 07-28-2008, 04:53 PM

1,413 posts, read 4,678,879 times
Not to be harsh, but if you aren't on the lease and you two didn't work out if/when overnight guests would be allowed when you moved in you are kind of in a tight spot. This is a lesson everyone must learn - work this stuff out before you move in. Looks like it's time for you to find a new place or deal with the uncomfortable situation and ask for a rent reduction for his split.

Old 07-28-2008, 04:57 PM

10,757 posts, read 25,571,932 times
That's a difficult situation. What is happening in four weeks that he will suddenly have a new place to live? That's what I'd be concerned about, that the four weeks could turn into a longer stay. Is he going to share a room with your roommate, or is he sharing a common area such as the living room? I'm assuming that you're in a converted junior 4 by the way you described the apartment. So, you would have to share a bathroom and common facilities? It's a common thing for people to have guests in NYC, but four weeks is pushing it, for certain, especially with roommates to consider. And, I agree that a reduction in rent is an acceptable concession, and get it in writing, so that after the four week period, there's actually a reduction to the point of splitting another way, since that will get the roommate on the ball to get him out the door, unless he has money to pay the rent. I would also think that you might have to look for another place if you cannot work this out, since it would seem that this roommate is not taking everything into consideration with regard to the concept of a paying roommate versus a long-term guest.

Old 07-28-2008, 05:05 PM

Yeah, I'm kind of in a tight spot. At this point, I think I'd rather find another place to live, maybe Astoria where's it's more affordable. Also, what about the security deposit? I paid her $1200 (one month's rent). Can I ride that out as the last month's rent? I have a feeling that she won't have enough $ to give it back to me at the end of the month! She offered to give me a $200 discount on the rent, but I figured if rent was equal and split three ways, it would be $800 total.

Old 07-28-2008, 05:21 PM

Also, I've never lived with a guy before, and I'm not comfortable having a guy over so much- someone I've never even met! He would be staying in her room, but we have a tiny bathroom that we would be sharing! Not cool.

Old 07-28-2008, 05:29 PM

2,742 posts, read 6,747,363 times
Wow,,1200 for a room,,, you must be living in Manhattan..

Old 07-28-2008, 05:41 PM

10,757 posts, read 25,571,932 times
Yes, that's not a good situation to have to share a bathroom with someone that you do not know. It would be one thing if she had her own bathroom to share, but in this situation, if it makes you uncomfortable, you're better off looking to remove yourself from the situation.

Old 07-28-2008, 05:47 PM

1,275 posts, read 2,081,162 times
Well let this be a lesson to you, don't find roommates on craig's list Seriously though something sounds fishy, are you sure this is her brother, and not some guy she likes and wants him to stay with her, so she just told you it's her brother?

Old 07-28-2008, 05:55 PM

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's her brother. Thing is, their mother lives on Staten Island! So, I don't understand why he has to crash here. Anyway, where else to find roommates instead of craigslist? I thought it was ok to find roommates and such.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City