U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2008, 06:41 AM

318 posts, read 976,551 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
two words: public housing.

as you can see with gentrification in park slope, and williamsburg around bedford avenue, there's no public housing in those areas.
The South Bronx has a lot of public housing, but the Northwest Bronx, including Norwood, Bedford Park, Fordham, University Heights, Kingsbridge Heights, has little to none. I'm sure the Bronx's stigma has something to do with it, though I think the stigma dissipates with time.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2008, 06:45 AM

536 posts, read 2,091,211 times
^^^ It's also rather distant from Midtown and especially downtown Manhattan. The quickest gentrifying neighborhoods in Brooklyn are west and north of Prospect Park while the quickest gentrifying hoods of Queens are west of the BQE. Not a coincidence.

Old 08-11-2008, 07:34 AM

318 posts, read 976,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysocks View Post
^^^ It's also rather distant from Midtown and especially downtown Manhattan. The quickest gentrifying neighborhoods in Brooklyn are west and north of Prospect Park while the quickest gentrifying hoods of Queens are west of the BQE. Not a coincidence.
In some of these areas, public transportation is better than to Upper Manhattan (Wash. Heights/Inwood) and have a similiar look and feel. I don't know that you should really compare the Bronx to Brooklyn/Queens. It has much more similarities to Upper Manhattan.

Old 08-12-2008, 07:51 AM

1,302 posts, read 4,004,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by analyticalkeys View Post
Depends how you factor it.. houses are typically cheaper, but transportation is a little more difficult, and some people would prefer to have a car which would probably make it more expensive if you have a car.. if not, then it should be cheaper.

What about rent?

Old 08-17-2008, 11:52 AM

What other places can you give up a little transportation options for more affordable rental places in nice areas?

Old 11-01-2008, 08:25 PM

I figured I would bring this thread back to see if anybody new would see it and add some opinions on this or people who have already replied would have any new information. I am still looking into all five boroughs(a lot in Bk, and Queens), and Hudson, Essex, Bergen, Passaic, and Union counties in New Jersey. Still looking for ideas so suggestions will help a lot.

Old 11-02-2008, 01:36 AM

185 posts, read 651,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post
Yeah but I wouldn't consider 90% of the Bronx Middle class. The major issue with the Bronx for your average middle class family is that most of the public schools are horrible. At least in most of Queens, Brookly, and Staten Island the public schools, are usually decent.

Eh, that all depends. When I lived in Queens, I was zoned to William C/ Bryant High School which was awful, and that zone had some pretty nice areas mostly suburban small homes, but the kids were just downright scary

Washington Heights was MUCH safer for schools.

A better example perhaps, ASK ANYONE the hell that is Washington Irving High School. It is absolutely FULL of gangs, many rivals, completely falling apart, broken elevators, dark stairwells, major fights, and security issues, and numerous administration firings and rearrangements have done practically nothing. This school is a nightmare by any standards. Ask ANYONE who lives in Gramercy Park, or any of the local businesses around the school (One of the nicest neighborhoods in Manhattan, also where this school happens to be)

Another example, compare Martin Luther King H.S to La Guardia H.S. on the upper West Side. They are next door.

At least at the High School level, there aren't zones anymore, so this doesn't matter so much.

Though I have seen VERY bad middle schools in nice neighborhoods in Queens, and great middle schools in poorer working class neighborhoods.

Its all subjective I guess.

Old 11-02-2008, 11:49 AM

821 posts, read 788,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eco-Prof View Post
My suggestions are:

1) Rego Park, Queens
2) Kew Gardens & Kew Garden Hills, Queens
3) Bayside, Queens
4) Bellrose
5) Fresh Meadows, Queens
6) Carrol Gardens, Brooklyn
7) Cobble Hill, Brooklyn
8) Bay Ridge, Queens
9) Floral Park -
10) Elmhurst - (select areas)
11) Inwood, Manhattan
nice suggestions, but Bay Ridge in Brooklyn.
Carrol Gardens and Cobble Hill are getting very wealthy now.

Old 11-03-2008, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bama! View Post
nice suggestions, but Bay Ridge in Brooklyn.
Carrol Gardens and Cobble Hill are getting very wealthy now.
I thought I heard that Bay Ridge was in Brooklyn, when I saw that I started thinking maybe I was crazy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or