U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 07:29 PM

40,057 posts, read 29,713,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by page3000 View Post
What's the big deal about publishing anyway? Is it really realistic to think you will make it big?
Publishing has a phenomenal reputation; if you're with a group of people and you mention that you're in the industry, guaranteed most of the others will immediately go green with envy. Don't ask me how this got started; the publishing field is largely non-unionized, and unless you're a high-profile editor at a big house (or the owner of the company) the chances are that you're going to be treated like dirt, and then tossed aside when either 1) you're of no further use to the company, or 2) you have enough experience to expect a decent raise--which, of course, isn't likely to be forthcoming.

If this sounds bitter, I assure you, it's not. It's just a statement of the facts.

Actually, the best thing that ever happened to me was my second experience with a company being bought out. It was the push I needed to find a job elsewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2008, 08:51 PM

52 posts, read 233,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by page3000 View Post
WOW that's crappppppy! What's the big deal about publishing anyway? Is it really realistic to think you will make it big?

Also, suggestions to chooks: Get a waiter/bartender job to cushion you. Can I ask where you live and what your rent looks like? If you want to stay you have to ration....and very hard at that!
Well, writing and getting work published is what I really love and what I feel fulfilled doing. I'm not expecting to make it to editor-in-chief status, but I would definitely like to make it to an editor position, or at the very least, support myself freelancing. I live in Murray Hill and I rent a room for $1200, but I'm moving somewhere cheaper next month, since $1200 is steep and my roommate is wacked! I'm actually doing beer/liquor promotions at bars/restaurants to helps pay bills and I'm still pitching articles to magazines. I eventually want to move back to San Diego to be closer to family. Even if my NYC experience doesn't turn out as planned, my family is very supportive and would welcome me back with open arms, no problem.

Old 07-30-2008, 08:56 PM

1,413 posts, read 4,673,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalonian4life View Post
Just move to Buffalo NY - you will be employed immediately in any position you desire, AND Buffalo has the shortest commute times and cheapest cost of living than any other city in the US! - not to mention the cleanest city as well. Buffalo, New York is the city that never sleeps on the other side of New York State - (and it's the second largest behind NYC)!

Come share the Greatness of Buffalo!

This is completely off topic, but I have to say that although I have never been to Buffalo the few people that I have met from there LOVE the place. Thanks for the lovely pictures. It's too cold for me up there, but maybe you'll get a taker...

Old 07-30-2008, 10:23 PM

922 posts, read 3,405,893 times
Quote:
This is completely off topic, but I have to say that although I have never been to Buffalo the few people that I have met from there LOVE the place. Thanks for the lovely pictures. It's too cold for me up there, but maybe you'll get a taker...
My hometown. It really is a nice place to live.... if you have job. Great housing stock and architecture, good livability, and a surprisingly large amount of cultural amenities for a city its size.

As for the weather - I've found that at any given moment, year-round its about 5-10 degrees cooler than NYC - which means winters aren't as bad as people think and the summers are fantastic.

OK, Sorry... back on topic.

To the OP -- one word of advice: NETWORK. Sending out piles of resumes is not enough. You need to get out and meet people in the industry. Someone mentioned informational interviews which are great networking tools. But also get out to events and meetings. You're here in the city. Take advantage of the proximity. Next best kind of networking: Online, you can interact with people on industry message boards and blogs.

I know its easier said than done, but it truly is the most effective way to get a job. It worked for me.

Old 07-31-2008, 12:08 PM

1,576 posts, read 4,713,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpsonDowns View Post
COLD!? Hmphf. Cant change that one - except for the fact that NYC is too hot! Haha, jk

Go Buffalo!!!

Excuse me for being off topic. Ehem.

Last edited by Buffalonian4life; 07-31-2008 at 12:35 PM..

Old 07-31-2008, 04:48 PM

348 posts, read 1,109,521 times
Default If you stick with it, you will have a great time

Hi Chooks,

I've been where you are - in the early 90's. I'm originally from Ojai, California and when I came here, let me just say it was very, VERY tough. I arrived and immediately met people who were in the same boat as me - and many went back to where they came from (a couple from San Diego, actually). They just couldn't handle the stress, the struggle, the faster pace of life, the NYC "attitude", and the bias that many employers have about people coming in from other parts of the country. (Probably, because they've had experiences where employees all of a sudden couldn't hack it and quit to return home.)

Let me just say that not giving up was the best thing I ever did. This is a great place to live (although, being offered a job at Vogue by the publisher at the time in the mid-nineties and having to turn it down, I can tell you - there is no way to live decently IN Manhattan on the entry level salary these companies pay).

Can I make a suggestion? If you can do light secretarial work and answer phones, there is decent money to be made as a temp in the financial industry. That's how I started out (well, after waitressing for a while). Last time I checked, I think the going rate was $18-25 an hour. That should get you by if you combine it with what you are doing at the bars/restaurants. If you are interested in the names of some good agencies, just send me a pm.

Good luck to you!

Old 08-04-2008, 01:12 PM

Thanks, NYCwoman, for the advice! I'm definitely going to take you up on your offer to vent. I have the opportunity to possibly INTERN at a magazine. Should I bother? Am I too old, at 33, to intern? I also might not be able to afford interning and working just at night. What do you guys think?

Old 08-04-2008, 08:48 PM

190 posts, read 730,387 times
Were you able to get in contact with my contact? Do you still need some assistance?

Old 08-04-2008, 10:36 PM

Hi, schiphol! I sent her my resume, but haven't heard back yet!

Old 08-05-2008, 07:48 AM

190 posts, read 730,387 times
I'll give her a call today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City