U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 04:19 PM

838 posts, read 902,529 times

Advertisements

Wow, BUFFALO looks absolutely gorgeous! If I had a car I would be there in a heartbeat. The thing is....it is better economically right now..but if you have to buy a car don't you think it would be a waste? Like in NYC I can save money riding the train.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2008, 07:17 AM

37 posts, read 170,943 times
I LOVE Buffalo!! I'm from NY originally but went to college up there. I swear I've never met nicer people or lived in a prettier city. I was kinda in the same position as the OP when I left Buffalo and came back to NYC- couldn't find a job that'd offered NYC $$$. Now I'm down in Philly (what a mistake) but returning to Buffalo is a thought that frequently passes through my mind...

Old 08-07-2008, 03:11 PM

435 posts, read 1,414,178 times
I would be mad at your college institution. These intitutions set up people for failure by offering majors that in the real working world wont pay much. Its sort of like getting a degree in theology or philosophy, its like anyone can get a degree now a days.

Old 08-07-2008, 04:38 PM

81 posts, read 378,037 times
Yeah, it makes me think of that song from "Avenue Q":

"What do you do with a B.A. in English?
What is my life going to be?
Four years of college and plenty of knowledge
Have earned me this useless degree.
I can't pay the bills yet
'Cause I have no skills yet
The world is a big scary place..."

Good luck to the OP!

I think the terrible economy is making things a lot harder too. I graduated back in 1986 with a B.A. in English, then got a magazine internship while taking night classes at NYU for two years to get a Master's in journalism. Once I finished that, it was really easy to get an entry level magazine job - the New York Times was FULL of them back then.

I left full-time work in 1997 when my first child was born to be a stay-at-home mom and do freelance writing. Over the past 11 years, I've found that the freelance opportunities have dwindled a LOT. Two magazines that I wrote for regularly recently went out of business. One magazine that I still write reviews for USED to pay $60 per review...then lowered it to $40 per review...and now they've just emailed us reviewers to say that with the terrible economy, they now have to lower it to $25 per review.

Times are really tough right now. I wish the OP good luck though!

Old 08-07-2008, 10:55 PM

11,145 posts, read 13,531,616 times
OP -

I think sending out "millions" of resumes is a horrible way to get hired.

As someone who hires, I can tell you that if I get a generic resume from someone, it's in recycling faster than it took their printer to shoot off copy 57 of 125. If they can't take the time to understand the specific needs of my organization and craft a letter and resume explaining how they can specifically serve those needs, then I don't need to take the time to care about them.

I had a similar situation in DC when I moved there out of college. Took about 6 months before I actually landed a real "college" job. I did internships for free to bolster the resume (that helped) and worked as a waiter. 4 months is not unusual.

When I found the job I knew was for me, I started saying to myself over and over "I need to get this job. I need to get this job." A voice literally came into my head and said "Don't worry, you will".

Now, I'm not crazy. I'd never heard a voice in my head before and wasn't sure what to make of it. But, I knew enough about metaphysics to know that it's how Indigenous people have been guided for thousands of years and figured I'd test it. So, I stopped throwing my application around everywhere and focused on that one position. I spent days crafting the perfect cover letter, honing each word of the resume to reflect the position and organizational needs. I created a mock business plan for the program I was to build. I never used it once hired, but it demonstrated what I could do for them and how I could think systematically.

Well, as my savings dwindled down to $0, I beat out people with Ph.D.s and law degrees and it was an incredible job for some 22 year old. I wasn't hired because I was the most qualified (though I did not lack qualifications), but because I showed the most passion. Or, on a deeper level, maybe the voice was telling me it was just my destiny and all i had to do was position myself to meet it.

Good luck.

Last edited by Bluefly; 08-07-2008 at 11:11 PM..

Old 08-08-2008, 05:29 AM

7,079 posts, read 33,727,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jflores View Post
I would be mad at your college institution. These intitutions set up people for failure by offering majors that in the real working world wont pay much. Its sort of like getting a degree in theology or philosophy, its like anyone can get a degree now a days.
I think that the point of why people go to college was missed. It's not to get a job afterwards. College is where you learn HOW to learn. The field of study is irrelevant. Whatever one's area of concentration, the point is that by delving deeply into one area, one acquires the skill set to explore and investigate ANY problem or interest, regardless of the overarching category into which the interest falls.

Even if the student has one of the professions in mind for a future endeavour, any area of study is fine, because the end product, in a successful venture through higher education, is a person who has the capabilities, resources and knowledge of how to tackle any issue. It would be a sad day when people didn't follow their passions and study English or philosophy or religion or WHATEVER because it wouldn't eventuate in a job upon graduation.

Old 08-08-2008, 07:13 AM

435 posts, read 1,414,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
I think that the point of why people go to college was missed. It's not to get a job afterwards. College is where you learn HOW to learn. The field of study is irrelevant. Whatever one's area of concentration, the point is that by delving deeply into one area, one acquires the skill set to explore and investigate ANY problem or interest, regardless of the overarching category into which the interest falls.

Even if the student has one of the professions in mind for a future endeavour, any area of study is fine, because the end product, in a successful venture through higher education, is a person who has the capabilities, resources and knowledge of how to tackle any issue. It would be a sad day when people didn't follow their passions and study English or philosophy or religion or WHATEVER because it wouldn't eventuate in a job upon graduation.
I think you missed the point or maybe I need to express myself a bit better.

Going to college isnt a career, as a youth it was instilled in me that people go to college to get a foot in the door, that we need that paper that says one has graduated.

Learning how to learn? The field of study is relevant, look at all those english and religion majors that end up working at Starbucks because they cant find a job.

Old 08-08-2008, 08:20 AM

7,079 posts, read 33,727,881 times
Things have changed since then.

Old 08-08-2008, 05:55 PM

Quote:
College is where you learn HOW to learn. The field of study is irrelevant.

Uhm no, college is where I go to get my degree and advance at my goal career. If I wanted to just learn for the heck of it I would probably take an art class because I love ceramics etc. Realistically, most of us aren't willing to pay 10-40k a year just to "learn to learn".

And there is a BIG difference in people who get their degree in English and one who gets it in Biology. The ones who get an English degree will work at a retail store as a supervisor, maybe, and the ones with a Biology degree will be in demand and therefore have a wide range of careers to choose from.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE ENGLISH..psychology...the arts....but I'm definitely not willing to force myself to go for 4 years at 10-40k a year just to get a piece of people that says I "learned". If those cotton candy degrees (that taste soooo sweet {I say this b/c they are very fun degrees}) actually paid something or could afford me a halfway decent living I would probably consider your statement again.

Unfortunately society puts a higher value on degrees than what a person can really do. I got my first job at Citadel and they originally wanted a person with a Bachelors for the position...obviously they went thru a lot of waste-of-four-year-airheads and ended up choosing me because I had character and drive.

Old 08-08-2008, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Things have changed since then.
How I wish this was really true! If it was I would be majoring in Theatre (my 1st passion) or dancing (my 2nd passion) instead of Nursing (my 3rd passion).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City