Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 06:49 PM

52 posts, read 256,811 times

Advertisements

Bluefly-- thanks so much! A friend referred me to a non-profit PR position that is the perfect combination of writing, media relations and contribution to society. I'm going to focus all my energy on this job, learn as much about the company as possible and craft a perfect cover letter/resume and nail the interview. About the metaphysics, I'm going to use the law of attraction and visualization to realize my dream. Thank you for sharing your experience!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2008, 08:36 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,699,990 times
Chooks -
Wow! I'm really excited for you. I really hope it works out for you.

I should mention that I was biting my nails taking that gamble on one job. I had no savings left, waitering wasn't bringing in enough, and if that job didn't come through I was royally screwed. After two interviews, I didn't hear back the day they said I would. I panicked and started scrambling to try to find some other position. Two days later I got a call that I was hired. I would soon learn that's just how the manager worked.

I tell you that just so you know that it's not necessarily easy or peaceful getting to where you really need to be - but if it feels right, stick it out. Even if this isn't your actual job, it may lead you to the one that is.

As for the convo on the value of college degrees - when college became a middle class necessity rather than an upper class privilege, it became far more pragmatic rather than intellectual. But I know plenty of people who have theatre degrees and are making fine livings - a few work as actors, but many as stage managers or on tech crews. So, maybe you should have followed you passion for theatre.

Old 08-08-2008, 08:46 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,382,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chooks View Post
Bluefly-- thanks so much! A friend referred me to a non-profit PR position that is the perfect combination of writing, media relations and contribution to society. I'm going to focus all my energy on this job, learn as much about the company as possible and craft a perfect cover letter/resume and nail the interview. About the metaphysics, I'm going to use the law of attraction and visualization to realize my dream. Thank you for sharing your experience!

That is good news! Best of luck in the selection process. Go get 'em!!

Old 03-03-2009, 08:05 PM

9 posts, read 26,746 times
any one have advice or contacts? I'm in the same boat of finding a job in communications/publishing with 2.5 years experience (1 yr editorial internship & 1.5 yrs of college newspaper & magazine).

thanks!

Old 03-04-2009, 07:47 AM

2,312 posts, read 7,522,983 times
Eew, I spent 13 years working in book publishing and it was a horrible dead end experience. I tell everyone to just say no and find a real career--by that I mean something you can actually do for a living as an adult, not as a glamour seeking 20 something.

It's a tough industry to work in for longer than five or ten years--there are very few long term growth opportunities. It's a crazy triangle with thousands of entry level workers and very few upper level positions with real responsibility and the kind of salary an adult can live on. Sure you'll get little promotions and eventually be called some kind of manager, but the pay absolutely stinks for the amount of stress and lack of job satisfaction many people experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City