U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 07:46 AM

294 posts, read 965,255 times

Advertisements

We have just relocated to Connecticut recently and would like to take a daytrip into New York City, we have never been to New York City before and were not sure of where the best or safe places are in order to make the most of our trip, we have two children 2 yrs and 4 yrs.

Any help or advice would be greatfully appreciated, we would like to be able to walk around the city without worrying about ending up in a bad area.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2008, 08:03 AM

536 posts, read 2,091,490 times
Depends on your kids. My mom tells me that when we were kids she could take me anywhere on the subway, on planes, to museums, wait on long lines, anything and I was well-behaved. My brother on the other hand would throw a scene anywhere, she didn't even want to go food shopping with him in tow anymore, he was so bad with the tantrums.

Oh yeah, and the popular tourist areas are safe, you just have to be aware because tourists are often targeted for petty crimes like pickpocketing, etc, especially in Times square and Herald square. That's the truth about any big city though, I hear the same things happen in Rome, Paris, everywhere.

Old 07-29-2008, 09:10 AM

2,541 posts, read 10,190,782 times
Take em tehdeh brongz zu (bronx zoo)

or you could go to ellis island

Or watch a musical

Old 07-29-2008, 09:23 AM

459 posts, read 1,260,248 times
Take them wherever you wish. You probably will find it easier to get around on a weekend day rather than dealing with commuters on the subway. Go to the Statute of Liberty, or Ellis Island, Times Square, take a ride on the SI Ferry. Walk around, see the sights. Don't worry about packing it all in. Once you have been here, you will be back, maybe without the kids.

Old 07-29-2008, 09:57 AM

1,413 posts, read 4,673,890 times
What are your children interested in? I'm not a fan of the corporation, but a friend brought her 4-yr-old to American Girl and she LOVED it. The Museum of Natural History often has interactive exhibits and an amazing dinosaur display. I second the Bronx Zoo, it is amazing. The Metropolitan Museum of Art has a few touchable items in the Egyptian Art section, but one of the best things is the Ancient Playground nearby in Central Park:
Central Park Conservancy : Ancient Playground

Old 07-29-2008, 10:22 AM

Thanks for the great info, sounds like we should be okay, our kids are not too bad in the behaviour dept but the youngest still has her 'terrible two' tantrums, not so much but still enough to drive us crazy.

We've lived around big cities before, San Fransisco and London, and can handle the hustle and bustle of big cities, but we just needed a New Yorkers perspective about where the safe areas are and what to avoid. Thanks again.

Reps to you all.

Old 07-29-2008, 10:39 AM

10,750 posts, read 25,526,667 times
Central Park is great for children with the zoo, playgrounds, Victorian amusements, and the carousel. You should also consider taking a boat ride to see the city. The Circle Line can be long for young children, but the water taxi and even the Staten Island Ferry can offer some perspective on the city. And, the Bronx Zoo is a great outing, and I have been there with children in the two range and they were excited and entertained.

Old 07-29-2008, 11:12 AM

Thanks, I was thinking about the Zoo for our first trip into the City.

Old 07-29-2008, 06:30 PM

371 posts, read 990,646 times
trust me you have to worry about congestion in NYC. Take them to the children's museum of manhattan ( Children's Museum of Manhattan ), toys r us times square ( Toys"R"Us - Times Square (http://www9.toysrus.com/timessquare/ - broken link) ), Nintendo world if they like video games ( Nintendo World Store ) Ripleys believe it or not odditorium ( Ripley's Believe It or Not! Odditorium New York (http://www.ripleysnewyork.com/index.php - broken link) ) for a cool restaurant take them to mars 2112 ( The Mars 2112 Restaurant - A Themed family restaurant on Broadway, New York (http://www.mars2112.com/about.htm - broken link) )

Old 07-29-2008, 06:41 PM

72 posts, read 233,042 times
More of a side note but you DEFINITELY want to visit Rockefeller Center around Christmas time. It's beautiful, and has a great holiday vibe. I would say even more so in recent years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City