Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 10:13 AM

3 posts, read 5,662 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I recently had a piece of writing about concepts for the NYC subway system that was published in a book called "Collective Intelligence: Creating a Prosperous World at Peace". It's online here - smart-city.re-configure.org

Any feedback from anyone here would be appreciated.

Jason
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2008, 03:00 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,589,115 times
That's some very high-end thinking. And, I'm afraid, it has very little bearing on the reality of a mass transit system that carries five million people a day. What people in New York City need are trains and buses, not lessons about why they should do this or that.

As I've mentioned in various other posts, I don't make comments about mass transit in New York as a completely uninformed individual. I work for MTA as a tower operator, so I'm literally inside the system on a daily basis.

Old 08-13-2008, 07:54 AM

3 posts, read 5,662 times
Thanks, and yeah, your MTA experience in regards to the ideas is useful.

I do think the most feasible and immediate idea that could be implemented is the text messaging updates to people above ground prior to their walk to a station to estimate how much time before the next train arrives. The theme of the writing was not for people to learn lessons.

And other ideas are simple to see like using the above ground large screens for what's relevant to commuters at that particular station instead of stupid TV commercials. The reality to that issue is that commuters don't need commercials blaring from an over-sized outdoor TV before entering a station.

I just think we should be using existing technology above ground to "see" below ground (foreknowledge) just as a submarine uses a para-scope to see above water.

If this can reduce the tension and crashing of bodies on a daily basis throughout the system, I would imagine that would provide a great deal of relief that is currently not circulating/spreading.

Any extra addition to public life that relieves tension in this city seems worthy of more consideration.

Old 08-13-2008, 09:07 AM

1,278 posts, read 4,098,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
That's some very high-end thinking. And, I'm afraid, it has very little bearing on the reality of a mass transit system that carries five million people a day. What people in New York City need are trains and buses, not lessons about why they should do this or that.

As I've mentioned in various other posts, I don't make comments about mass transit in New York as a completely uninformed individual. I work for MTA as a tower operator, so I'm literally inside the system on a daily basis.
Just want to say I think NYC public transportation is pretty amazing, and for the most part, I get to wherever I want to go without problems. Of course sometimes I find myself wanting to *itch b/c I am waiting for a train or bus, but overall I think the system works very well.

It would be nice to have the computerized screens, similar for the L-train, in every station just so you know when the train is coming.

I would be happy to never have to own a car again.

Old 08-13-2008, 09:12 AM

12,115 posts, read 33,670,625 times
I would love to see all NY subway stations refurbished like the "new" (1989) station at E 63rd street and Lexington Ave on the Q line.

And, curious, how long has the 49th street/7th Ave station(N line) been orange/red tiled? I first noticed it in 1979 but I wonder how long before that was it tiled?

Old 08-13-2008, 09:21 AM

1,085 posts, read 2,291,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
I would love to see all NY subway stations refurbished like the "new" (1989) station at E 63rd street and Lexington Ave on the Q line.

And, curious, how long has the 49th street/7th Ave station(N line) been orange/red tiled? I first noticed it in 1979 but I wonder how long before that was it tiled?

How about 59th Street Station on the 4/5? I remember that station before it got retiled many, many years ago - it wasn't a pretty sight. I still think that station is awful (it's boiling HOT in the summer and freezing cold in the winters) but it's more pleasing to the eye now.

Old 08-13-2008, 09:27 AM

I haven't been in there recently. By "tiled" do you mean like the 50th street and 66th street stations on the 1 line?

The Lex/63rd street is really nice and the benches are cool, the 49th street is less so but still OK

Old 08-13-2008, 09:33 AM

1,278 posts, read 4,098,132 times
Someone told me that certain stops on the #4/5 , the platforms are air conditioned. Is this true? I have never noticed, but it would be great if they would do this at the 96st 1/2/3 stop, it is miserably hot.

Old 08-13-2008, 09:37 AM

never thought about platforms with ac. i wouldn't be surprised if the 63rd/lex platform had ac however

Old 08-13-2008, 09:45 AM

1,085 posts, read 2,291,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudbeckia View Post
Someone told me that certain stops on the #4/5 , the platforms are air conditioned. Is this true? I have never noticed, but it would be great if they would do this at the 96st 1/2/3 stop, it is miserably hot.
I believe Bowling Green is the station with A/C. Grand Central has air cooling but not air conditioning. I know for a fact 14th and 59th most certainly do not. Not sure about Fulton, Wall, Brooklyn Bridge, 86th and 125th though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: