U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 05:49 PM

30 posts, read 73,591 times

Advertisements

If he gets me evicted it will not be because of any debt owed. There will be no entry on my credit report that will follow me around for years or even a day.

The car scenario you present is not the same as my situation at all. When a car is leased there is a specific date of termination of that contract. At the expiration date of the contract if the person in possession of the car refuses to give it back, that person is stealing the car. As a stabilized tenant I have the right to renew my lease until I am dead... unless he can show cause to evict me. I own the right to live in the apartment; this is a right afforded me by my stabilized status. I own the right to renew my lease. This status has nothing to do with the landlord or his ownership of the building. If he didn't want to deal with stabilized apartments he ought not have purchased the building. It is he who is asking me to give up my right to renew the lease. Like in any other contractual negotiation, the person wishing to break the contract must pay the other party a mutually agreed upon amount. He doesn't get to make the edict that "this is how much I will pay you and you will take it or I will simply unilaterally decide that the contract is void". That's simply not how it works. And if you feel the need to accuse someone of extortion, you are pointing a finger at the wrong person. It is he who wants me out and has threatened me. He brought it up, not me. I'm perfectly happy to keep our existing contractual relationship intact. I'd just assume not talk about it at all. No extortion coming from me.

By the way, I am the perfect tenant. I keep my place in good condition. I always pay my rent on time. I'm considerate of my neighbors and happily help them with stuff when asked. The landlord and I don't even have a hostile demeanor toward one another. I understand his point of view. He wants to maximize the profitability of the property, but that doesn't mean he can steamroll over me and my rights given to me BY LAW. The simple fact is that it isn't up to him. He can try. He will lose this round. Two years from now he might win. MIGHT! I'm no pushover. I'm not even against the idea of leaving, but if I take what he has offered I'd be a moron. Sleeping in the park ain't my thing.

Last edited by philiptries; 07-30-2008 at 06:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2008, 07:25 PM

2,742 posts, read 6,739,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by philiptries View Post
If he gets me evicted it will not be because of any debt owed. There will be no entry on my credit report that will follow me around for years or even a day.

The car scenario you present is not the same as my situation at all. When a car is leased there is a specific date of termination of that contract. At the expiration date of the contract if the person in possession of the car refuses to give it back, that person is stealing the car. As a stabilized tenant I have the right to renew my lease until I am dead... unless he can show cause to evict me. I own the right to live in the apartment; this is a right afforded me by my stabilized status. I own the right to renew my lease. This status has nothing to do with the landlord or his ownership of the building. If he didn't want to deal with stabilized apartments he ought not have purchased the building. It is he who is asking me to give up my right to renew the lease. Like in any other contractual negotiation, the person wishing to break the contract must pay the other party a mutually agreed upon amount. He doesn't get to make the edict that "this is how much I will pay you and you will take it or I will simply unilaterally decide that the contract is void". That's simply not how it works. And if you feel the need to accuse someone of extortion, you are pointing a finger at the wrong person. It is he who wants me out and has threatened me. He brought it up, not me. I'm perfectly happy to keep our existing contractual relationship intact. I'd just assume not talk about it at all. No extortion coming from me.

By the way, I am the perfect tenant. I keep my place in good condition. I always pay my rent on time. I'm considerate of my neighbors and happily help them with stuff when asked. The landlord and I don't even have a hostile demeanor toward one another. I understand his point of view. He wants to maximize the profitability of the property, but that doesn't mean he can steamroll over me and my rights given to me BY LAW. The simple fact is that it isn't up to him. He can try. He will lose this round. Two years from now he might win. MIGHT! I'm no pushover. I'm not even against the idea of leaving, but if I take what he has offered I'd be a moron. Sleeping in the park ain't my thing.
I am 100% sure you will be in this apartment 2 years more.. your next lease is going to the last lease...
Listen,, trust me, is really easy to get you out,, and his son, brother, mother, who ever,, is going t live in it and then sell it...

Old 07-30-2008, 08:16 PM

I've researched the man thoroughly. He has a son living overseas in a position that earns him a very large income, and this son is his only child. The wife of the son is from the place where they live, and she has a large family living in the same country. The owner is an only child and his parents live in a very swank resort-like place in another part of the country. The average condo in the living community where his parents live cost well over a million dollars (that's saying something in this real estate market). He simply doesn't have a large immediate family. They are all well-off and wouldn't want to spend one night in this building let alone years.

I'm not so sure he even really wants to try to take it over for personal use or the use of a family member. I think it's just a tactic to get me to take his offer.

Old 07-31-2008, 08:07 AM

40 posts, read 22,202 times
Good luck to you Philip...but your next lease is your final lease. All the research and excuses will only waste your time, money and add unnecessary stress in your life...and you can say bye bye to the payout you think you are owed.

You will lose in court, you will not get a payout, and you will get a judgement against you on your credit report. It is in fact HIS home that he allows you to rent, let him have it back for god's sake! Good grief.

Old 07-31-2008, 09:04 AM

You're point of view is coming from a narrow perspective. It is not as simple as it being his property.

I have not spent one dime on this issue since the landlord brought it up. Yes, I have spent a lot of time researching issues and talking with people about it. I don't see this as a waste of time. I find it all fascinating.

The math disagrees with the point of view you express. Taking his offer will not even cover my increased housing costs for one year. Why would I take that when I have the option of staying in the apartment for two more years plus the time during the legal fight that will likely take place at the end of those two years. The legal fight could take a year to resolve. That puts me in the apartment up to three more years. On one hand I take his offer and am on the street in a short time because I cannot afford the increased rent, and on the other hand I stay for possibly three more years at the end of which I will possibly be out with no extra money in my pocket, OR I could win and get to stay in the apartment. The choice that makes sense is glaringly obvious.

I don't think I'm owed anything. This is his idea, not mine. I don't want his money.

Last edited by philiptries; 07-31-2008 at 09:27 AM..

Old 07-31-2008, 09:20 AM

Have it your way....you will stay for 2 years..and the courts will allow you about 7 months after...at which point you will have spent 2 years and 7 months stressing about it, losing sleep, wasted time, and who knows how much money in legal fees/court costs, no pay-out, and a possible judgement against you on your credit report that will follow you for years and years, all to stay in your apt 7 more months (realistically you will get the 2 year renewal anyway..so this issue is really about the extra 7 months).

OR you can take the payout AND find a new place and relax, enjoy your life, and move on. The choice is clear to me.

Old 07-31-2008, 09:35 AM

I don't know why you are so preoccupied with me having a judgement on my credit report. That isn't the issue.

I'm not stressed now that I know my rights as a stabilized lease holder and the process the owner must go through to implement his threat. I will sleep comfortably for two years. That's better than sleeping in the park in a few months, right?

Find a new place and relax? Enjoy my new place? Um, have you read the thread? The offer extended to me makes that impossible. The owner leaves me with no choice but to stay. The legal situation after the next two years, I have been advised, will take longer than 7 months to resolve should I exhaust all the options that are extended to me in the process, including an appeal.

Old 07-31-2008, 09:43 AM

Lol...the idea that you are "sleeping comfortably for two years" when you are going through a fight in the courts with your landlord, and possibly be homeless because you won't be getting a payout at all and you claim you could not afford another place on your own is laughable. You are already on these threads thinking, researching, reading, discussing....and it will only get worse.

The reality is take the money now and find a new place...and I am confident that if you knew anything about NYC..there is a place for the very rich, the very poor, and everything in between..however if you feel you deserve to stay in Manhattan, or live the same lifestyle you have now (or better), then that is where you will have a problem. If you believe you cannot find a place now WITH the payout, how exactly will you find a place in 2 years when you are evicted, no payout, spent untold sums on legal/court costs? And somehow this knowledge helps you "sleep comfortably."

Whatever offer extended to you now is better than the 0 offer, eviction, wasted time, and monumental wasted money come 2 years from now!

Old 07-31-2008, 10:14 AM

730 posts, read 2,543,466 times
lol

I'm beginning to think Lukewarmer is the landlord.

Old 07-31-2008, 10:22 AM

Lol..nahh....I would never give anyone a payout to vacate a building/unit. I will just take them to court and have them tossed if they are like him, or I would work with them to help them find another place..but never pay them.

I think if I had more clarity on the payout I would understand better...what is the LL offering you Philip? And what amount do you think you deserve? Once we know the two amounts..it will be clearer...if the LL is offering $1,000 then that really isn't much...but if Philip is expecting $100,000, then that is ridiculous..so let's hear the numbers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City