U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 02:00 AM

30 posts, read 73,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypnotizzed View Post
I for one would starve him out of the apt ( ie no heat, water,repairs etc)before I would give someone a dime so that I can live in MY building that I own. Nonetheless sounds like it is an ending and got him out.
I wish he had tried that. I'd file for a rent reduction for reduced services and end up paying less rent and do the repairs myself.

You pro-landlord folks don't seem to understand the law here. Stabilized tenants OWN the right to live in their apartments no matter who owns the building. I know landlords wish it were not the case but life is a b**ch sometimes. No one made him buy the building.

The funny thing is he thinks paying me off will get rid of me and cause me to stop helping other tenants in the building. I don't know why he thinks that. Living ten blocks away doesn't mean I'm going to abandon my cause to stop him from screwing the other tenants (now my friends thanks to him), especially now that I know how much he will really pay.

I've written many times in this thread that the landlord has no intention of living in the building. That was all a bluff. He will have the apartment gutted starting the week I leave. After the renovation it will be rented for about twice the rent I was paying. He will try to drive the new tenants crazy to get a couple cycles of vacancy leases, causing the apartment to no longer be stabilized within a few years. That is exactly what he has done with other apartments in the building.

Last edited by philiptries; 08-16-2008 at 02:09 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2008, 02:20 AM

30 posts, read 73,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quelinda View Post
Oh perish the thought that the owner would want to enrich himself on his OWN property. You dont own the unit he does. And if he wants to live there or take the unit for his family, trust me he doesn't have to justify it to anyone. It doesn't matter how big of a place he already has and that you view him as being greedy.

Enjoy living in your "dumpy" apartment which I am more than sure has "seen better days" as you put it.
As I have written, I have no problem with the landlord being enriched. My only problem was that he wanted to achieve that goal at my expense without adequately compensating me for doing him the favor of giving up my right to renewal leases. Ignoring all the peripheral noise of bluffs and threats and concentrating on the real issue, his desire to break a contract, settled the issue to mutual satisfaction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City