U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-29-2008, 04:24 PM

30 posts, read 156,963 times

Advertisements

After doing some searching I found something that seemed right up my alley The Hotel Chelsea, New York City (aka The Chelsea Hotel) that offered rooms (with a shared bathroom) for $1,000 a month. I know that this would not appeal to everyone... ..but for me it sounded right up my alley... Sure I know there are things you must deal with in this situation that you wold not have to deal with renting a room in a private apartment. However, it seems to resolve a lot of problems of moving to New York for me. No credit check, no income requirements (I will be a student) not having to come with security, just the first months rent to move in...

Living in Chelsea for $1,000 a month are you kidding me? I thought it was too good to be true to exist... I did some searching and found a blog for the hotel maintained by one of the resident... Apparently, it did exist, but only if you live there... No new residents! There is new management and a new majority share holder that wants the residents gone and only wants tourists...

Then I found the Morningside Inn - Discount Hotel In New York for $875-$950 (actually told today 900-1700) but I called today to inquire and was told they are all full and could not accept any monthly reservations to Jan '09. I've done some searching, found a few that I will call tomorrow, but it seems like a majority of the time I will find one, do a google search only to find an article on them trying to evict tenets or a mega corporation has bought them and plans on turning it into a 5 star hotel...

Does anyone know of any still left? As I said I will be a student and can only really afford $1,000 a month... Yea I know, I know, I know... I could rent a room "easily" for that amount easily in another borough, that was actually my plan, but if I can find a residential hotel in my budget that is ACTUALLY taking people I'd to live in one maybe for a year. I would do this for two reasons to move into some place rather easily and simply for the experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2008, 05:38 PM

2,806 posts, read 11,874,480 times
There are privately run dorms scattered throughout the city geared towards college kids. You might want to look into that.

There are also a couple of YMCA's that still accept some residents, but I think they kick you out after 3-4 months of staying there.

Old 07-30-2008, 01:05 AM

46 posts, read 129,956 times
The Chelsea doesn't have long term rentals anymore.

Old 07-30-2008, 01:12 AM

317 posts, read 748,779 times
Are you male or female? There are still some affordable women-only residences. Read about them here.

Old 07-31-2008, 02:45 PM

56 posts, read 247,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkFan View Post
The Chelsea doesn't have long term rentals anymore.
I know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurrstoneCaz View Post
No new residents! There is new management and a new majority share holder that wants the residents gone and only wants tourists...
It is to bad... I wish I found out about the place a year ago, or even a few months ago... Seems like a nice place... When I called I was put on hold and the music/recording was bragging that the Chelsea was proud to be the home of many historic writers, poets, musicians, actors, artists, transients, etc. when they first moved to NYC. lol I guess they are proud of that, just too good for that now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post
There are privately run dorms scattered throughout the city geared towards college kids. You might want to look into that..
Out of curiosity do you have the website to them? I've seen the one run by the 92ndst, CCNY towers (to late for me to into), 3 eats 3rd corp., and the very overprice studenthousing.org... Are there other affordable ones I am missing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by citychik View Post
Are you male or female? There are still some affordable women-only residences. Read about them here.
Male.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: