U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 04:57 PM

2,954 posts, read 10,792,683 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lxl View Post
There's also a poll on the Journal - Is bicycling a realistic commuting option for you?
WSJ.com Forums :: View topic - Is bicycling a realistic commuting option for you?

So far, accordingly to 654 WSJ readers, 376 (57%) voted Yes, and 278 (43%) voted No.
I go to Europe a lot for work these days and in a lot of the cities there (outside some of the biggest, like Paris, Rome, Berlin, London, where it can be tougher) there are dedicated bike lanes and bike racks all over, and it is very, very common to bike to work. You see a decent amount of tan, fit people on bikes with briefcases strapped on back, in suits and the like. I would bike to work here but it's a bit dangerous (though I've biked through midtown streets plenty and could do it). The main impediment, though, is the lack of a secure place to lock up the bike. I can't bring it in my office building and up in the crowded elevator with me. It would be a good thing for us to start making it easier for people to use this option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2008, 07:15 PM

1,121 posts, read 5,918,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by holden125 View Post
I go to Europe a lot for work these days and in a lot of the cities there (outside some of the biggest, like Paris, Rome, Berlin, London, where it can be tougher) there are dedicated bike lanes and bike racks all over, and it is very, very common to bike to work. You see a decent amount of tan, fit people on bikes with briefcases strapped on back, in suits and the like.
Yeah and the huge back and armpit sweat stain visible.

Old 08-06-2008, 01:23 PM

838 posts, read 902,194 times
I don't understand the few people who hate cyclists so much. Do you realize how high gas is right now? Even the MTA is trying to raise their price. I am actually going out to buy a bike today. I don't want to have to rely on gas (and fueling terrorists nations) in any way. Plus, it keeps the air cleaner (although NYC is already polluted) and it keeps your body in great shape. I don't see what the big deal is so long as one stays in their designated bike lanes or on the right side of a large sidewalk.

Old 08-06-2008, 01:37 PM

125 posts, read 98,935 times
Has anyone heard what has happened to this officer? I know he is on "desk duty", but have they actually disciplined him yet? And by disciplined I mean FIRED...any info?

Old 08-06-2008, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypnotizzed View Post
Has anyone heard what has happened to this officer? I know he is on "desk duty", but have they actually disciplined him yet? And by disciplined I mean FIRED...any info?
I doubt he will get anything more than a slap on the wrist. Pretty awful huh?

Old 08-06-2008, 06:44 PM

40,057 posts, read 29,709,520 times
I'm trying not to take sides. When you watch the video carefully, it seems to me that there are two possibilities for what happened. 1) the cop was picking and choosing for a target...in which case disciplinary action isn't enough. For that he ought to be fired. Or 2) there was some kind of verbal exchange, and the cop overreacted. You can't tell if anything was said, because no matter how high you turn up the volume, all you get is ambient noise.

Old 08-07-2008, 10:49 AM

939 posts, read 1,566,916 times
The fact that he was not "suspended without pay" speaks volumes. An officer engaging in serious misconduct is usually suspended without pay while the investigation is conducted. That didn't happen; he was reassigned to desk duty. That tells me that there's more to the incident than the video depicts. Let's wait until the investigation is completed before making any judgments, including what punishment is or is not appropriate.

Old 08-07-2008, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdcnret View Post
The fact that he was not "suspended without pay" speaks volumes. An officer engaging in serious misconduct is usually suspended without pay while the investigation is conducted. That didn't happen; he was reassigned to desk duty. That tells me that there's more to the incident than the video depicts. Let's wait until the investigation is completed before making any judgments, including what punishment is or is not appropriate.
LOL, do you really think the NYPD is going to tell the public the truth? Regardless of the outcome, corrupt stuff like this is happening EVERY SINGLE DAY. Unless that bicyclist was yelling something like " I have a bomb and I am going to kill you all" I have already taken my stance. Thing is, if that were the case , with ALL of those witnesses, don't you think the public would have heard about it by now? COME ON.

Old 08-07-2008, 05:02 PM

939 posts, read 1,566,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by page3000 View Post
LOL, do you really think the NYPD is going to tell the public the truth? Regardless of the outcome, corrupt stuff like this is happening EVERY SINGLE DAY. Unless that bicyclist was yelling something like " I have a bomb and I am going to kill you all" I have already taken my stance. Thing is, if that were the case , with ALL of those witnesses, don't you think the public would have heard about it by now? COME ON.
As a matter of fact, yes, I do believe that the NYPD is going to tell us the truth. We need to wait for the results of their investigation and then we'll all know the truth.

Please tell us about all the corrupt stuff that happens every single day. You seem to have some intimate knowledge of the corruption in the NYPD and I think we'd all like to know what firsthand experience you have with it. You've spent a lot of time ranting about police corruption on this board, yet you've never given us any information to substantiate your allegations. Perhaps this is something you've made up or some story that someone told to you. I, for one, would like to know how a 22 year old female from California knows so much about the inner workings of the NYPD. How 'bout it?

Old 08-07-2008, 05:39 PM

1,810 posts, read 6,198,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by page3000 View Post
I don't understand the few people who hate cyclists so much. Do you realize how high gas is right now? Even the MTA is trying to raise their price. I am actually going out to buy a bike today. I don't want to have to rely on gas (and fueling terrorists nations) in any way. Plus, it keeps the air cleaner (although NYC is already polluted) and it keeps your body in great shape. I don't see what the big deal is so long as one stays in their designated bike lanes or on the right side of a large sidewalk.
Hello,anybody home? It is illegal to ride a bike on the sidewalk in NYC. Even though the law is never enforced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City