Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 05:15 PM

7 posts, read 24,876 times

Advertisements

Hello all. I just found this forum and it looks really cool. I am in the second year of my MA and will be applying to doctoral programs within the next year (probably not this year, but the next year). As far as schools in NYC I am looking at Columbia TC and NYU (both for Education). I want to teach ESL (to adults) and that would be my focus at university, in addition to creating teaching materials.

If I were accepted to one of these schools and was able to go, I would want to live outside of Manhattan. i don't drive and would want a place with a roommate in a safe, quiet neighborhood with a commute that's not too unbearable. I would just want everything that I need within walking distance of my apt. Grocery stores, restaurants, shops, bars, and so on.

I want a place that's culturally diverse and safe for a young, single lady who will probably be leaving early and returning late during the week. Do you have any suggestions for some places? I am originally from the suburbs of Southern US but have lived in Sicily, Southern France, Germany, and more recently, Pittsburgh. I speak French and Italian and love to practice those languages. I would also love oppertunities to tutor ppl in English or do volunteer work nearby.

What say you to a prospective doctoral student?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2008, 06:22 PM

348 posts, read 1,248,059 times
I, of course, say Parkchester. I believe it would meet all of your criteria. Do a search on the community and see what you think. If you need further info on the complex, feel free to ask.

www.parkchesternyc.com

Old 08-03-2008, 06:33 PM

wow, parkchester looks amazing but expensive......where is this place exactly? And what do the 1 and 2 bedrooms run? I bet there must be ppl beating down the doors to live in a complex such as that....wow....how are the landlords?

Old 08-03-2008, 07:03 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,117,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonaFide84 View Post
wow, parkchester looks amazing but expensive......where is this place exactly? And what do the 1 and 2 bedrooms run? I bet there must be ppl beating down the doors to live in a complex such as that....wow....how are the landlords?

It's NYC and the one-bedroom condos (not coops, which are usually less expensive) are 115K. Great Views and next to Everything! (broken link)

What does that mean? Many people don't want to live there, or the prices would be higher. Why don't people want to live there?

I'm not sure since I haven't been there myself, but it could have to do with the "social problems" in the larger neighborhood of Parkchester (the condos is a subset of this area) You can read about it in wikipedia
Parkchester, Bronx - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Then again, there are a few happy Parkchester residents who post on this board so maybe you would like it there.

from wikipedia
"Many social problems associated with poverty from crime to drug addiction have plagued the area for some time. Despite crime declines versus their peaks during the crack and heroin epidemics violent crime continues to be a serious problem in the community. [3] Parkchester has significantly higher drop out rates and incidents of violence in its schools.[4] Students must pass through metal detectors and swipe ID cards to enter the buildings, reminiscent of a prison environment which many feel encourages bad behavior. Other problems in local schools include low test scores and high truancy rates. Drug addiction is also a serious problem in the community. Due to the lucrative drug trade in the area many addicted reside in the community. Peer pressure among children who come from broken homes contributes to the high rate of usage. Many households in the area are headed by a single mother which contributes to the high poverty rate.[5] The incarceration rate in the area is also very high.[6] This has a direct correlation to aggressive policing tactics including "sweeps" due to the area's high crime rate. Parkchester is home to a significant number of inmates currently held in New York state prison and jail facilities."

Old 08-03-2008, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonaFide84 View Post
Hello all. I just found this forum and it looks really cool. I am in the second year of my MA and will be applying to doctoral programs within the next year (probably not this year, but the next year). As far as schools in NYC I am looking at Columbia TC and NYU (both for Education). I want to teach ESL (to adults) and that would be my focus at university, in addition to creating teaching materials.

If I were accepted to one of these schools and was able to go, I would want to live outside of Manhattan. i don't drive and would want a place with a roommate in a safe, quiet neighborhood with a commute that's not too unbearable. I would just want everything that I need within walking distance of my apt. Grocery stores, restaurants, shops, bars, and so on.

I want a place that's culturally diverse and safe for a young, single lady who will probably be leaving early and returning late during the week. Do you have any suggestions for some places? I am originally from the suburbs of Southern US but have lived in Sicily, Southern France, Germany, and more recently, Pittsburgh. I speak French and Italian and love to practice those languages. I would also love oppertunities to tutor ppl in English or do volunteer work nearby.

What say you to a prospective doctoral student?
What is the exact question here? Are you just looking for neighborhood suggestions? If so, it would be good to give your budget range for monthly rent. You would be commuting to either Columbia or NYU? Is Columbia's TC in the same location as most of the rest of Columbia?

Old 08-03-2008, 08:21 PM

Hey BonaFide84:

No, Parkchester is not expensive at all -that's the whole point if you are looking for a safe and relatively serene community (The Parkchester Condominium Complex is a city-within-a-city and completely separate and different from the larger, outer-lying Parkchester area. I myself have lived here for going on 2 years and there is no neccessity for me to venture out into the surrounding area. I take the bus or cabs to the Bronx Zoo, the Botanical Garden, City Island, etc. But, for all my day to day needs, everything is I need is in walking distance.)

Rents are around $1000 on average for a 650sq ft 1-bedroom and condo prices are anywhere from $115K to $129. Two years ago, I bought in at $93K, so prices are moving northward. Perhaps rent-wise, there are other places with amenities within walking distance to be found, but to purchase, I challenge people to give me alternative ideas. I looked for over a year and the only other place that even came close was Staten Island.

I don't have children so I cannot comment on the public school systems in the area, but I do know there are several Catholic schools nearby.

The management is strict but fair. If you rent on your own, you will need to make a certain amount in minimum salary (around $40,000), but you should be able to rent a room for $600+ with a roommate.

Parking is an issue, so I know many people to pass on the place if they have a car, but BonaFide, you said that was not an issue...There is no nightlife to speak of, so that might be an issue for a young person. Although the Fordham University area is a short 10 minutes away.

Henna, I disagree - I think the fact that prices for condos just not too long ago were around $25K and are now selling at the high point of $129K shows people DO want to live and can see the value and the fact that the complex has done an amazing 180.

Anyway, this is only one place (and the place I know best so that is why I can recommend it). I have also lived on the Upper West Side, the Upper East Side (which are great nabes, but not cheap), Williamsburg (which is great for a young person - again not cheap) and Montclair, NJ (lovely, but probably not what you are looking for).

Hopefully, others will give you advice on other areas.

Please pm me if you want further info. And good luck with your move!!!

Old 08-03-2008, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
What is the exact question here? Are you just looking for neighborhood suggestions? If so, it would be good to give your budget range for monthly rent. You would be commuting to either Columbia or NYU? Is Columbia's TC in the same location as most of the rest of Columbia?

Yes I'm looking for neighborhood suggestions and yes, TC is in the same area as the rest of Columbia. I would be a very poor grad student so my income would be nowhere near $40k :-O .....I would prefer to rent.....as far as what I'd be able to afford......probably $700-800ish max (as far as my portion) WITH ROOMMATES to pay the rest of the rent.

It's interesting the income requirement......wow. Where I'm at now, they don't even ask for income verification. It shocked me, actually.....I make crap for money as a TA but my apt is amazing.....lol. I'm sure if I do end up in NYC, it'll be a good cold slap of reality, but I think it would be good to have a diff experience, even if it's more difficult than what I'm used to......

Thanks for all of you all's insight, btw.

Old 08-03-2008, 08:48 PM

$700-$800 will get you a long way in many borrough neighborhoods if you are willing to live with roommates. You should have no problems. Good luck - I know from experience just how exciting of a time this will be for you!!

Old 08-03-2008, 08:51 PM

Also, in case you don't know this, Craigs List is a good way to go to find roommates (anywhere in the world, actually) without paying that horrid agency fee! I didn't have that option when I moved to the City and paid not only those standard fees, but "key money" as well - basically bribing the super to facilitate getting you the apartment. Oooh, I'm starting to break out in hives just reliving the memories...

Old 08-03-2008, 09:08 PM

There are plenty of decent neighborhoods where you can get a share for $700-$800. Probably would suggest going through your housing office at whatever school you end up at - or checking with people who are already in your program to find out if there are any openings in their apartments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City