U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-29-2008, 07:44 PM
 
10 posts, read 18,169 times
Reputation: 12

Advertisements

I'm planning on moving to Manhattan in a few months when I turn 20. I'm self-employed in central Jersey living with my parents and will make about $80,000 before taxes for 2008. The only thing is I most likely won't have much if any cash on hand when I move. I'm also hoping my age won't be a problem. I'm under 21 but I'm a responsible person.

I'm looking for any apt between 275 - 400 sq ft for around or less than $2,100/month in lower Manhattan. I really want to move anywhere below Central Park in Manhattan and not Brooklyn or anything. If possible I'd like to try and get my own place without roommates but this isn't a necessity. From looking around onlinell of this seems possible but on this forum some people make it seem like Manhattan is way more expensive than I'm thinking. Am I missing something?

Could people just give me some more info, comments, suggestions etc? Thanks

Last edited by adammagnus; 07-29-2008 at 07:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-29-2008, 08:33 PM
 
2,541 posts, read 10,189,375 times
Reputation: 946
Your 20 years old make 80k from self-owned business, and from central Jerz

Ashley Dupree might you be?

Nah just kidding

But seriously what is your business I have to know because your making 80K

Just look on craigslist for apartments

Last edited by NJ Chutzpah; 07-29-2008 at 08:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2008, 08:48 PM
 
Location: Concrete jungle where dreams are made of.
8,900 posts, read 12,703,440 times
Reputation: 1819
Yeah, how on earth do you make 80k when you're 19 years old? Only way I can think of is if you inherited a business or something. In that case, consider yourself lucky lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2008, 10:36 PM
 
Location: Bay Ridge, NY
1,915 posts, read 7,128,643 times
Reputation: 539
Actually, my friend is 18 and has a job where you get paid $500 for each deal you make with a customer, and depending how you work that can be up to $2,000ish a week, so.. if it's something like that, I can easily see this happening..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2008, 10:57 PM
 
43 posts, read 197,667 times
Reputation: 24
Your age will be no problem. There are TONS of young people in Manhattan.
And lots of university students. Even though you are not a student, I would contact the colleges in Manhattan (via internet) - they always have housing connections/boards/advice on where and how much. The neighborhoods differ a lot, and everyone will like sth different, so definitely visit them before you decide. $2100/mo will be tough, but you should be able to find a studio in lower Manhattan I think... craigslist is another option, but I would go with the universities' leads first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2008, 03:28 PM
 
Location: Newton, Mass.
2,954 posts, read 10,794,109 times
Reputation: 1483
Quote:
Originally Posted by analyticalkeys View Post
Actually, my friend is 18 and has a job where you get paid $500 for each deal you make with a customer, and depending how you work that can be up to $2,000ish a week, so.. if it's something like that, I can easily see this happening..
I know a couple people who get $500 each time they make a "deal" with a "customer" too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2008, 05:35 PM
 
10,604 posts, read 20,734,839 times
Reputation: 8145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tee11 View Post
Your age will be no problem. There are TONS of young people in Manhattan.
And lots of university students. Even though you are not a student, I would contact the colleges in Manhattan (via internet) - they always have housing connections/boards/advice on where and how much. The neighborhoods differ a lot, and everyone will like sth different, so definitely visit them before you decide. $2100/mo will be tough, but you should be able to find a studio in lower Manhattan I think... craigslist is another option, but I would go with the universities' leads first.
in my experience, most housing boards at universities are for their own students only.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2008, 09:07 PM
 
43 posts, read 197,667 times
Reputation: 24
Default universities - not for students only

Of course, there is always some housing for students only. However, not all of it - and you can usually find some great deals and nice people... that's just my experience. Some non-university people post on university boards on purpose because they want students to rent from them or because they look for professional graduate student roommates.... It varies with the university whether the online housing board is password restricted or not, however, the "hard copy" is something anyone may see. It's definitely worth looking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2008, 04:04 PM
 
10 posts, read 18,169 times
Reputation: 12
NJ Chutzpah, Rachael84, and analyticalkeys - I lucked out. I've been making websites for a few years and have been having good luck with them. Not so much fun right now but hopefully it'll pay off if I can move to Manhattan. Any tips you guys got with my moving would be great

And lol wasn't Dupree making 80k a month or something
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2008, 04:12 PM
 
10 posts, read 18,169 times
Reputation: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tee11 View Post
Of course, there is always some housing for students only. However, not all of it - and you can usually find some great deals and nice people... that's just my experience. Some non-university people post on university boards on purpose because they want students to rent from them or because they look for professional graduate student roommates.... It varies with the university whether the online housing board is password restricted or not, however, the "hard copy" is something anyone may see. It's definitely worth looking.
Interesting. When I try and contact these universities am I supposed to tell them the truth that I am not a student or do I pretend I am one? Not sure how many colleges there are in Manhattan but I know high school friends from Columbia and NYU. Maybe I can ask them for help.

Most of my online browsing has been from sites like rent.com and craigslist. I've found great things on Craigslist but I never know if I can trust it or not. Would you advise to get a broker or go straight for owner apts? Brokers charge alot but they do make things easier. Is 15% worth it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top