U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2008, 03:16 AM

1,121 posts, read 5,918,734 times

Advertisements

I've heard the contrary from many who attempted LaGuardia's Nursing program. From what I understand, and have been told, you must score straight A's in all of your academics to even be considered into the program. I do know they have the toughest EMT/Paramedic program in the city, so if you were heading towards that route, I would recommend that school for it.

I've had my fair share of ridiculously easy professors and those who teach at the "real college" level in there. It's all about choosing the right staff.

Last edited by 009; 07-30-2008 at 03:24 AM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2008, 09:56 AM

838 posts, read 902,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citychik View Post
Well, it says on BMCC's site that you qualify to take the RN licensing exam after just 65 credits -- so you can do that with just Community College credits. If you stay within the CUNY system, all senior colleges accept CUNY Community College credits. And it looks like there are Nursing programs at Lehman, Hunter, Medgar Evers, York (senior colleges). You're mistaken about Associates degrees not being accepted in senior colleges for transfer. I'm very familiar with BMCC and CUNY - the senior colleges from all over come down to the Transfer Fairs at the Community Colleges to court students, so I don't know who gave you that idea.

According to BMCC's Transfer page, their Nursing program has articulation agreements with the following senior colleges inside and outside of CUNY: Medgar Evers College, Mercy College, New York City College of Technology, New York University, Pace University, and SUNY Downstate Medical Center. Go to:
Transfer Information | Articulation Agreements (http://www.bmcc.cuny.edu/transfercntr/transferinfo/articulationByMajor.html - broken link) and click on the name of the school for their transfer requirements (scroll down to see Nursing).
This is extremely helpful! I am going to check it out. I find it crazy that those senior colleges might accept BMCC credits but NOT LaGuardia...since both are CUNY colleges. Doesn't make much sense, but this is helpful so I will look into it. My mind has been all over the place lately. I feel like you get so far then find out half your credits aren't excepted etc. It just seems so silly. Thanks again.

Old 07-30-2008, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 009 View Post
I've heard the contrary from many who attempted LaGuardia's Nursing program. From what I understand, and have been told, you must score straight A's in all of your academics to even be considered into the program. I do know they have the toughest EMT/Paramedic program in the city, so if you were heading towards that route, I would recommend that school for it.

I've had my fair share of ridiculously easy professors and those who teach at the "real college" level in there. It's all about choosing the right staff.
Yes, that's basically what they told me. That I should have straight A's to even be considered. I just really hope that if I have a 4.0 and all of my requirements are met that ONE college takes me somewhere. It feels like it's almost impossible to become an RN. I heard of someone who waited years to get into a NUrsing program..straight A student..which is pretty discouraging to know...they eventually switched their major to accounting.

Old 07-30-2008, 10:58 AM

1,915 posts, read 7,128,643 times
Oh, another thing is, and not to discourage you at all, but this is a very POPULAR program.. you will have a lot of competition, and it's not easy either. So definitely put your all into it, but it won't hurt to have a fall-back plan as well.

Old 07-30-2008, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by analyticalkeys View Post
Oh, another thing is, and not to discourage you at all, but this is a very POPULAR program.. you will have a lot of competition, and it's not easy either. So definitely put your all into it, but it won't hurt to have a fall-back plan as well.
Thanks. Well, I have other degrees I would be interested in. Criminal Justice is one of them..along with Biology. But I'm not sure if a degree in Criminal Justice would even pay me that well or provide job security and stability. Biology is just as hard as Nursing. The thing is..we all have to do what be love but when I decided what I wanted to do I made sure that it was something stable and that could provide me with a comfortable living. I am in no means money hungry, I just want a job that will resist economic downfalls more than other ones. I've seen way too many of my friends get their degrees in cotton candy types of fields (the fun kinds but the ones that are obviously easy) and none of them make much more than $15/hr and a lot of them are working in retail.
So I'm sitting on the fence about a few things. phew.

Old 07-30-2008, 12:12 PM

536 posts, read 2,091,490 times
Nursing is probably the most competitive thing here in the city--and since it's so competitive, even the community colleges can have high standards with the students in the program. I go to Queensborough, and all my life I had heard from many of my mom's nurse friends that Queensborough nursing classes were more difficult than the ones they would take later on at a private 4-year like Adelphi, simply because so many people are trying to be in the program. I don't know numbers, but it seems like at least 1/4 of my female classmates are in the nursing program, or trying to get into it.

Old 07-30-2008, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysocks View Post
Nursing is probably the most competitive thing here in the city--and since it's so competitive, even the community colleges can have high standards with the students in the program. I go to Queensborough, and all my life I had heard from many of my mom's nurse friends that Queensborough nursing classes were more difficult than the ones they would take later on at a private 4-year like Adelphi, simply because so many people are trying to be in the program. I don't know numbers, but it seems like at least 1/4 of my female classmates are in the nursing program, or trying to get into it.
It does seem like a lot. But I heard that about 1 out of 30 make it until the very very end. They say the class usually starts out around 25 and by the end of the year there may be 8-13..and by graduating time they say that it goes to 3-4 of those 25 actually walking the line. No wonder it pays 70k+...geesh I think it should pay even more.

Old 07-30-2008, 09:16 PM

1,413 posts, read 4,673,300 times
Thanks for this thread. I'm home recovering from surgery and had a visiting nurse come for a few visits. Before reading this thread I thought, "Wow what an easy job." How wrong I was!

Old 08-07-2008, 03:35 PM

9 posts, read 50,820 times
Default Cuny math skills test

I got accepted to York college, i got excempted from an English assesment tests, I had to do the Math. I failed, Pre Algebra, and Algebra. (I understand Pre Algebra I just gave up at a point). I passed the Pre algebra workshop, then failed the Algebra. Cuny is very cruel now, if I don't pass this Algebra again for the third time, I have to do Math remedials at a community college, and if I don't pass. Nothing...a private college will cost too much money, and....my parents say they can't afford it.

May as well kill myself, i've been thinking about it.

Old 08-08-2008, 12:45 AM

I'm looking into private colleges because I heard they are more willing to help you with financial aid, there are more scholarships available, and they usually accept more of your credits. THIS IS WHAT I HAVE HEARD FROM SEVERAL PEOPLE...so I guess we shall find out!
Cuny is RIDICULOUS. I couldn't believe they made me take that stupid Math class. I passed it, THANK GOD, but I was appalled at how they taught the class and how much work there was..I am good at math but I felt AWFUL for anyone who wasn't super good at it because it seems like the system BLATANTLY sets you up for failure. Especially for a community college. In my opinion, the more and more I see, the community colleges here seem to be a big moneymakingscheme. They don't seem too concerned about the students or anything else beyond that.
BTW, what are you trying to get your degree in?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City