U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-23-2007, 10:46 PM
 
2 posts, read 28,264 times
Reputation: 11

Advertisements

Does anyone know anything about the cost of living on Staten Island? I am thinking about taking a job there, and I really want to find out how expensive it is to live there. I have heard the horror stories of living in the city (Manhattan, etc.), but I would like an idea of how costly it will be to live on Staten Island.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-24-2007, 03:00 PM
 
Location: Journey's End
10,189 posts, read 24,460,221 times
Reputation: 3826
I would surmise that COL in Staten Island and working on the Island would cut down some of your costs (transportation).

I am only familiar with a few neighbourhoods in SI and they are either commercial or professional areas. The few people I knew that lived in SI worked off Island and I think they complained most often about transportation costs (over the Bridge, not the Ferry) and long commuting times.

Perhaps you can poll some of the employees of your prospective firm about COL if they live and work in SI.

Other board members may be better able to answer your questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassie1908 View Post
Does anyone know anything about the cost of living on Staten Island? I am thinking about taking a job there, and I really want to find out how expensive it is to live there. I have heard the horror stories of living in the city (Manhattan, etc.), but I would like an idea of how costly it will be to live on Staten Island.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2011, 10:23 AM
 
2 posts, read 19,471 times
Reputation: 10
Default Cost of utilities etc in Staten Island?

Can anyone help me find estimates of utility costs, etc in Staten Island. Going to be moving there....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2011, 03:31 PM
 
Location: 20 years from now
5,073 posts, read 5,416,786 times
Reputation: 3134
Like anything else it completely depends on your living arrangements and what amenities you're accustomed to.

Housing in "good" to above average areas is fairly cheaper than the other boroughs. Utilities, and other expenses are about the same. You do need a car for the most part, otherwise your transportation will be limited to multiple bus routes. If you do have a car, mobility is pretty easy, parking is above average for the city but the perk of that is NO alternate side parking, which is great. It's also MUCH LESS congested that the other boroughs, making food shopping or any other errand running much much easier. For example try going to the grocery market at the Brooklyn Pathmark over by Atlantic Station. It is a MAD house there all of the time, parking is a nightmare and the store lines go on for eternity. Next try the Pathmark in SI by Forest Avenue and it is a much smoother and easier experience.

The one major set back to living in Staten Island is the commute to the other boroughs. I would say that starting from the Ferry to almost anywhere in Manhattan, is atleast minimially a one hour commute (Ferry is automatically 30 minutes and the subway from there is anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour depending). It can add nauseum if you mis your scheduled ferry or IF the scheduling during the day is irregular. Either way it can tack on an extra 30 minutes to and hour on your commute giving you a grand total of 2+ hours to get anywhere door to door. If you decide to drive, the Verrazano is somewhere in the midst of $13 to reenter back (although you get a discount with SI residency and an EZ Pass), traffic can be hectic during rush hours and weekends as well.

Overall, I think Staten Island is moreso a balanced combination of inconvenience and being able to maintain your own peace of mind and sanity incomparison to other boroughs.

Last edited by itshim; 05-19-2011 at 03:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2011, 11:10 PM
 
Location: Planet Earth
3,849 posts, read 7,292,448 times
Reputation: 1562
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
I would surmise that COL in Staten Island and working on the Island would cut down some of your costs (transportation).

I am only familiar with a few neighbourhoods in SI and they are either commercial or professional areas. The few people I knew that lived in SI worked off Island and I think they complained most often about transportation costs (over the Bridge, not the Ferry) and long commuting times.

Perhaps you can poll some of the employees of your prospective firm about COL if they live and work in SI.

Other board members may be better able to answer your questions.
What a lot of people do when commuting to Manhattan is, rather than taking a bus or the SIR to St. George for the ferry is take the express bus. They go directly to Manhattan, but are more expensive than the subway (the fare is $5.50 per trip, or $50 for a weekly pass that is also good for the local buses and subways).

Some routes are well-used, so you may have to stand, but generally you'll be able to get a seat for the ride into Manhattan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
Like anything else it completely depends on your living arrangements and what amenities you're accustomed to.

Housing in "good" to above average areas is fairly cheaper than the other boroughs. Utilities, and other expenses are about the same. You do need a car for the most part, otherwise your transportation will be limited to multiple bus routes. If you do have a car, mobility is pretty easy, parking is above average for the city but the perk of that is NO alternate side parking, which is great. It's also MUCH LESS congested that the other boroughs, making food shopping or any other errand running much much easier. For example try going to the grocery market at the Brooklyn Pathmark over by Atlantic Station. It is a MAD house there all of the time, parking is a nightmare and the store lines go on for eternity. Next try the Pathmark in SI by Forest Avenue and it is a much smoother and easier experience.

The one major set back to living in Staten Island is the commute to the other boroughs. I would say that starting from the Ferry to almost anywhere in Manhattan, is atleast minimially a one hour commute (Ferry is automatically 30 minutes and the subway from there is anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour depending). It can add nauseum if you mis your scheduled ferry or IF the scheduling during the day is irregular. Either way it can tack on an extra 30 minutes to and hour on your commute giving you a grand total of 2+ hours to get anywhere door to door. If you decide to drive, the Verrazano is somewhere in the midst of $13 to reenter back (although you get a discount with SI residency and an EZ Pass), traffic can be hectic during rush hours and weekends as well.

Overall, I think Staten Island is moreso a balanced combination of inconvenience and being able to maintain your own peace of mind and sanity incomparison to other boroughs.
The SI discount is something like $5.76 to cross the Verrazanno-Narrows Bridge. The $13 toll is only for cash users.

As far as the commute goes, the trip times can be long, but the express buses can help cut down on the trip times (though, as I said, they're more expensive). For example, a trip from my neighborhood to Lower Manhattan is at least 60-70 minutes by taking the S62/S92 bus and ferry, but only 30-40 minutes on the X17.

Another option that might work if you live near the Verrazanno Bridge is to take the S53, S79, or S93 bus routes to Bay Ridge, and then take the (R) train to Manhattan. It isn't much faster than the ferry, but there is less of a chance for delays.

If you plan on living without a car, that is best done on the North Shore. There are some routes that run with above-average frequencies that you can depend on. They are the S44, S46, S48, S53, and S79. In addition, there are 3 corridors with multiple routes that add up to a good combined frequency. They are:

Hylan Blvd (S78/S79)
Richmond Road (S74/S76)
Richmond Avenue (S44/S59/S89)

Good luck!

Last edited by checkmatechamp13; 05-19-2011 at 11:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2011, 10:04 AM
 
Location: Staten Island, New York
3,674 posts, read 5,850,725 times
Reputation: 3553
What is your budget? How much living space do you needD Most jobs on SI don't pay very much. Housing is much cheaper than the rest of the city. Public transportation is good in most areas. Where is the job located?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2011, 02:55 PM
 
Location: Brooklyn,NY
1,961 posts, read 4,157,306 times
Reputation: 1174
Some houses in SI are really expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2011, 02:58 PM
 
1,290 posts, read 1,502,298 times
Reputation: 968
My parents moved to SI, it really is a mixed bag in terms of housing. As others have stated the commute to the city is a pain. Utilities im sure are on par with the rest of the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top