U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 08:58 PM

294 posts, read 752,414 times

Advertisements

The building I own is located in Norwood. The area is actually not that bad. The majority of the people that live there are either Spanish or Black. Very few whites.

For my taste, there are WAY too many children and teenagers in Norwood which contributes to the exceesive hanging out in the street during the summer when the weathers warm.

For the past 4-5 years I have noticed that more lower income, section 8 people with public assistance have been moving into the neighborhood which from my observation has causes a slight decline in the neighborhoods and the quality of people.

Overall though, it really isn't that bad of a place to live. Its affordable and pretty safe overall. Just don't let some of the bad apples that hangout discourage you from moving in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2009, 08:20 PM

731 posts, read 1,789,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Better_Bronx_2morrow View Post
The building I own is located in Norwood. The area is actually not that bad. The majority of the people that live there are either Spanish or Black. Very few whites.

For my taste, there are WAY too many children and teenagers in Norwood which contributes to the exceesive hanging out in the street during the summer when the weathers warm.

For the past 4-5 years I have noticed that more lower income, section 8 people with public assistance have been moving into the neighborhood which from my observation has causes a slight decline in the neighborhoods and the quality of people.

Overall though, it really isn't that bad of a place to live. Its affordable and pretty safe overall. Just don't let some of the bad apples that hangout discourage you from moving in.
I agree with you that there are too many teens hanging out in Norwood. This also happens in nearby Fordham, Bedford Park, and Kingsbridge. I think it's because of all of the nearby high schools like Roosevelt, Clinton, Walton, and Kennedy.

Old 01-07-2009, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotb16 View Post
I agree with you that there are too many teens hanging out in Norwood. This also happens in nearby Fordham, Bedford Park, and Kingsbridge. I think it's because of all of the nearby high schools like Roosevelt, Clinton, Walton, and Kennedy.

High school kids hanging out is a big issue to but what I meant was there are way too many kids densely living in the Norwood area that creates "hang out city" during the summer. Good prospective tenants get turned off when they see a gang of teenagers sitting on cars, chillin' in the street acting rowdy. It scares good business away. Thats why I hate having to rent apartments during the summer. Very difficult.

Old 01-08-2009, 05:28 AM

Quote:
High school kids hanging out is a big issue to but what I meant was there are way too many kids densely living in the Norwood area that creates "hang out city" during the summer. Good prospective tenants get turned off when they see a gang of teenagers sitting on cars, chillin' in the street acting rowdy. It scares good business away. Thats why I hate having to rent apartments during the summer. Very difficult.
This is very true. The teenagers ruin a good chunk of things, including renting prospects, during the summer. Some of the crimes that occur during this time involve teenagers. This is also very true in nearby areas such as Fordham, University Heights, Morris Heights, and Bedford Park.

Old 01-08-2009, 06:26 AM

Quote:
This is very true. The teenagers ruin a good chunk of things, including renting prospects, during the summer. Some of the crimes that occur during this time involve teenagers. This is also very true in nearby areas such as Fordham, University Heights, Morris Heights, and Bedford Park.
Now, I'm not saying don't rent out apartments to families that have kids BUT a least be slective on the TYPE of parents because the last thing you want is a mom or dad that CAN'T control their kids and allows them to hang out all hours of the night. Usually a VERY LIBERAL parent falls under that category and as a Landlord, you have to be able to recognize those type when you see one.

Old 01-08-2009, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Now, I'm not saying don't rent out apartments to families that have kids BUT a least be slective on the TYPE of parents because the last thing you want is a mom or dad that CAN'T control their kids and allows them to hang out all hours of the night. Usually a VERY LIBERAL parent falls under that category and as a Landlord, you have to be able to recognize those type when you see one.
If I was a landlord, I would do the same type of thing. Check on the type of parents who have these types of children.

Old 01-08-2009, 12:15 PM

Quote:
If I was a landlord, I would do the same type of thing. Check on the type of parents who have these types of children.

You have to..at least thats what I do. I meet every single occupant that will possibly reside in my building to see the type of characters they are. If they thuggish looking and come off as a potential threat to my building or neighborhood...I deny them!

The way I look at it is...If you wanna act like a thugs, move to the projects...you'll fit right in, but not here buddy, not in my back yard you don't. Take that sh*t elsewhere.

Old 01-08-2009, 03:15 PM

9,832 posts, read 21,499,159 times
Quote:

The BX has a serious teen pregnancy problem. It seems to have decreased in the rest of the city but every day I see a lot of young moms on the streets of the Bronx. Its something that needs to get nipped in the butt yesterday if the borough has any plans on improving.

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/...ate_soars.html

Old 01-08-2009, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
The BX has a serious teen pregnancy problem. It seems to have decreased in the rest of the city but every day I see a lot of young moms on the streets of the Bronx. Its something that needs to get nipped in the butt yesterday if the borough has any plans on improving.

Bronx teen pregnancy rate soars
A sad side effect of poverty.

Old 01-08-2009, 03:58 PM

5,503 posts, read 17,199,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post

Bronx teen pregnancy rate soars
I hate when people use the term south Bronx. I dont know what neighborhoods they're talking about.

South Bronx is not a neighborhood!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City