U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2008, 05:52 PM

5 posts, read 35,287 times

Advertisements

Well I did a search and didn't exactly find a question similar to mine so maybe you guys can give some feedback. I currently live in DC and will be moving to NYC in four months. I've sent out a batch of 20 or so resumes (I know that's not a lot) but haven't received feedback, when the same resume here as gotten bites right away. I understand that NY is packed with qualified job seekers in my field (editor/writer), but does my not having a NY/NJ or even CT address on my resume hurt my chances even more before they even read my qualifications?

I'm only a four hour's drive away, there are some people who commute that distance daily. Why do I feel that I might as well live in Alaska? Is it better to get one of those UPS Mailbox addresses just to say that I have a NYC street address? How do I explain that I'm still working in DC? For the transplants who made the move, did you get your callback with an out of area address? Does this work only for those who are in extremely high demand? And are people actually moving to NYC without a job? Four months can pass quickly, and my meager savings will only cover two months rent. I'm worried.

Any tips for yet another person heading to NY? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2008, 06:11 PM

1,915 posts, read 7,130,491 times
That's a really hard field to get into here.. even people who live here are having trouble finding a job. Being out of state makes it even less likely that you'll be accepted.

Old 07-31-2008, 06:28 PM

1,413 posts, read 4,674,469 times
You've answered your own question. Get a NYC address. Good luck!

Old 07-31-2008, 06:38 PM

4 posts, read 16,989 times
Default same problem..

I am having this same issue, I like in Michigan and am trying to get a job in the retail world...which I know there are TONS of openings, I have 10 years in the field, and i'm getting several responses to my resume here, but not in NYC...doesn't it look bad to an employeer if your lying on your resume about where you live?

Old 07-31-2008, 08:14 PM

536 posts, read 2,092,160 times
They probably won't even look at it unless you have a NY, NJ or CT address, sorry to say. The job market is so competitive here they don't have to.

Old 08-01-2008, 06:17 AM

294 posts, read 965,381 times
I know alot of people including my husband, that have gotten Job offers on the East Coast especially New York City, and they live in CA. My husband was offerred a job there when we lived in San Francisco.

Jobs hunting always take time, don't expect to get a reply from every place you write to, you might only get 1 reply for every 10 or so resumes you send.

Good Luck on your search.

Old 08-01-2008, 06:37 AM

5 posts, read 35,287 times
Thanks for your input everyone. This won't be easy, but I'm sure it'll work out. My only question is that if I get a NY area address, but still have "XX-present" for current position, wouldn't that look suspicious and desperate? My fingers are crossed that at least one HR person will realize that DC is relatively close and will at least scan down to see what I can bring.

Old 08-01-2008, 07:35 AM

27 posts, read 105,021 times
Whenever I've had to find a job from far away, I've written in the first paragraph of my cover letter that "I am relocating to XYZ at my own expense."

I have also put it next to my address on my resume a few times.

Good luck!

Old 08-01-2008, 11:08 AM

878 posts, read 2,491,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HazeGray View Post
Whenever I've had to find a job from far away, I've written in the first paragraph of my cover letter that "I am relocating to XYZ at my own expense."

I have also put it next to my address on my resume a few times.

Good luck!
That seems like a good idea. If they know you are paying for your own relocation and are willing to travel to the city for an interview, at your own expense, they may be more willing to review your resume.

Old 08-01-2008, 11:58 AM

459 posts, read 1,260,796 times
This is simply not an issue. I agree with the poster above that suggests that you indicate your relocation plans if you have any. I hire dozens of people every year from other states and foreign countries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City