U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 09:24 AM

169 posts, read 372,617 times

Advertisements

oh but there is. Look at where all the growth has taken place--in the suburbs. Why? Is it because people crave living isolated lifestyles in cheaply constructed cookie cutters? No way. You can thank our government for subsidizing this growth with loan policies during the beggining of the trend, the highways, and the low income housing. You can also thank the NYC union labor influence on elected officials that impose the same policies that apply to the city to the rest of the state, which doesn't work at all as NYC has a way stronger economy. Did you know that in buffalo metro did not add on net increase in private sector jobs between 1990 and 2003 that was not dependant on government money? Pretty awful--the only job growth has been at the expense of taxpayers, which is a big time loosing formula. How to change this? well i guess i would say two answers: change the policies for upstate to make them different from the city, and build transportation infrastructure that will fuel growth in the city. Industry will come back; our weak dollar will allow for more goods to be produced here and exported, and if shipping costs become prohibitively expensive, then that will just mean that even more production takes place here.
But 4life, your statements about downtown buffalo are misleading. You say there are zero units avaliable? No way. Your top prices for rent are equivalent to the lowest in NYC. If the demand was that high, the prices would be way higher than 900 for a one bedroom or 1400 for a three bedroom. Thats what you pay to live in the ghetto in the south bronx. Buffalo hasn't changed--it cant, unless they build infrastructure that will allow for a greater density of population to exist in the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2008, 01:25 PM

468 posts, read 2,085,786 times
I can't help but think that there's some niche industry that Buffalo could tap into involving joint US-Canada international trade or business or something. Or could they even run subsidized express trains from downtown Toronto to downtown Buffalo, so It could leech off their Canadian neighbor's prosperity? Taxes are much lower in the States and I think Canadians do come down to suburban areas near Niagara Falls to do discount shopping. Maybe translating that demand into an urban solution could bring more money into the city of Buffalo?

Old 08-03-2008, 05:31 PM

5 posts, read 9,002 times
A lot of southern Ontario's economy relies on manufacturing jobs that left the neighbouring states (such as Michigan) for a reason. The reasons are as varied as:

The formerly low exchange rate meant that it used to be cheaper to pay Canadian workers over American ones.

Universal healthcare means that General Motors or whoever is not going to have to provide the employees with an insurance plan on their own dime, meaning they only need to cover dental and prescription.

The Canadian government throwing out incentives for business.

Different unions.

A lot of the jobs that left the US rust belt went to either Mexico or southern Ontario, and now the manufacturing sector is leaving the latter and it's causing some headlines. Basically, don't expect Canada to lower any border fences or act any less protectionist anytime soon.

Old 08-03-2008, 05:56 PM

175 posts, read 496,973 times
I don't know all of the reasons for Toronto booming and Buffalo dying. One thing strikes me as very different - immegration. Canada focuses on what it needs or wants - people with capital to invest or needed skills. The US has no immegration policy as far as I can tell. Tax rates may be very different too -- I don't know. Also, the american health care system is killing manufacturing. We need a national health care system that can control costs and eliminate paperwork.

Old 08-03-2008, 10:55 PM

5 posts, read 9,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classicalguy View Post
The US has no immegration policy as far as I can tell.
Whaaaa?

Canada's rapidly running into a problem with unskilled labour. So many of the children are University graduates that even the Colleges (think community college) systems are begging for applicants. Parents insist their children attend and graduate from the highest of high education possible, and recently Colleges Ontario put out a series of viral ads for a medication called "Obay" that claimed to make kids do what their parents wanted them to do. So basically, there's a lot of degrees floating around and a lot of empty jobs on the low-talent end of the pool.

It may soon become easier for an uneducated American to make it into Canada, provided they are willing to live somewhere cold and probably work in Alberta oil sands.

Old 08-03-2008, 11:33 PM

30 posts, read 73,624 times
A good way to determine what's going on with the economy of a city is to check the cost of houses. I just visited realtor.com to check on house prices in Buffalo. My jaw dropped. They are giving away houses in Buffalo. It's hard to spend 40k on a house. There is a looooong list of houses priced below 10k. Um, the person posting all of these beautiful pics of Buffalo must work for the office of tourism or maybe the chamber of commerce. The economy is looking pretty bleak to me. Not to say Buffalo doesn't have things going for it. It is a college town. It is the location of the spectacular Niagara Falls. It does have a wonderful art museum. And, apparently, it is the place to get a great deal on a house. Probably not a bad idea to live there and buy a place if you never plan to sell it.

Old 08-03-2008, 11:35 PM

1,576 posts, read 4,713,101 times
There are thousands of vacant homes in Buffalo that could be fixed up - however, after many loft conversions and condos - many of these units are taken up (I cant even get a downtown loft because they are always full), thus somewhat greater demand : but not price range wise - however rents have gone up because of this.

Old 08-03-2008, 11:46 PM

30 posts, read 73,624 times
What does a decent one bedroom apartment rent for in a nicer residential area within the city - not on the most fashionable and expensive streets but a short walk to those streets? And any clue about the prices for a one bedroom condo similarly situated?

Old 08-04-2008, 06:45 PM

1,576 posts, read 4,713,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by philiptries View Post
What does a decent one bedroom apartment rent for in a nicer residential area within the city - not on the most fashionable and expensive streets but a short walk to those streets? And any clue about the prices for a one bedroom condo similarly situated?
About $450 to $650 a month for a one bedroom apartment around the city. The more fashionable hot spots in Buffalo such as Elmwood, Allen, and Chippewa go around $825 - 1k. Some can be expensive while others in the rest of the city are dirt cheap.

The expensive condo filled high-end Waterfront Village can range from hundreds of thousands of dollars to millions. On the cheap streets - You could find a one bedroom - quite convient and beautiful - condo for less than 85,000.

Old 08-04-2008, 10:16 PM

19 posts, read 41,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by philiptries View Post
A good way to determine what's going on with the economy of a city is to check the cost of houses. I just visited realtor.com to check on house prices in Buffalo. My jaw dropped. They are giving away houses in Buffalo. It's hard to spend 40k on a house. There is a looooong list of houses priced below 10k. Um, the person posting all of these beautiful pics of Buffalo must work for the office of tourism or maybe the chamber of commerce. The economy is looking pretty bleak to me. Not to say Buffalo doesn't have things going for it. It is a college town. It is the location of the spectacular Niagara Falls. It does have a wonderful art museum. And, apparently, it is the place to get a great deal on a house. Probably not a bad idea to live there and buy a place if you never plan to sell it.
That's why I invested there and rent to students.

Part of the issue in Buffalo is the politicians, at least from the late 70's, weren't well educated (i.e. only completed high school) so there was a lot of reliance on the steel industry and not enough foresight switch and model itself like Cleveland. Buffalo has so many pluses, but the politics and prejudice in the city have kept it slow to realize its potential.

I went to Univ. at Buffalo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or