Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 04:30 PM

1,576 posts, read 5,346,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
Yes, they are. Union Station was in a terrible state of neglect, but luckily was restored so that it did not meet the fate of New York's original Pennsylvania Station. And Postal Square is now the home to a post office, a local brewpub and the US Postal Museum.

I think that your posts on Buffalo give some good insightl, since so many unfairly stereotype it without knowing its full place in history. Buffalo is not the North Pole since many places get the lake-effect snows, nor is it a hick town in the shadow of NYC. It's a city in transition, and it's in the interest of all New Yorkers that the city survives and finds itself again, since a revived Buffalo is good for the state's economy, something lost sight of once one is too far south of Albany.

I know three people off the top of my head who were born or who have lived in Buffalo and it's a city they'd go back to in a second, if it were not for their occupations that keep them in other cities.

Maybe to attract those unaccustomed to lake-effect snows, Buffalo should undertake a newly revised city plan that's akin to Montreal's underground city or Minneapolis' sky bridges. I'd not like to see that negatively impact the historic buildings, but in areas of blight where the land is practically cleared, some sort of new colony could be built that could integrate much of the live/work in climate-controlled comfort. Why should Montreal have all the fun with the underground?
But the weather really isn't that bad, it's the sunniest city in the northeast, and has the dryest summers than any other city in the NE, along with warm summers that keep the Great Lakes at comfortable temps of 70's and 80's that provide great beaches. The temperature is perfect in the summer, and the winter is mild, but not freezingly cold that it's too harsh, we get warm ups and thaws.

Just some more insight .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2008, 04:53 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalonian4life View Post
But the weather really isn't that bad, it's the sunniest city in the northeast, and has the dryest summers than any other city in the NE, along with warm summers that keep the Great Lakes at comfortable temps of 70's and 80's that provide great beaches. The temperature is perfect in the summer, and the winter is mild, but not freezingly cold that it's too harsh, we get warm ups and thaws.

Just some more insight .
LOL...true, it's not that bad in terms of weather, but you can sell the southerners on it and bring them to the city if you rival Montreal with the underground.

Old 10-13-2008, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
LOL...true, it's not that bad in terms of weather, but you can sell the southerners on it and bring them to the city if you rival Montreal with the underground.
Right, and there are other factors that contribute to why Buffalo isn't a perfect place to live - like the bad economy, dropping population, and high crime rate along with 20,000 vacant homes. Other than that, it's perfect!

Old 11-14-2008, 10:27 PM

But hey, any of you New Yorker's over there think positively of Buffalo, NY's skyline?

Old 11-15-2008, 05:32 AM

4,437 posts, read 7,670,391 times
What's the median cost of housing in the SUNY Buffalo area?

Old 11-15-2008, 08:34 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,926,305 times
That's a pretty small skyline. I like the red,white, and blue lights on that building.

Old 11-15-2008, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
What's the median cost of housing in the SUNY Buffalo area?

In the SUNY Buffalo aream the median cost of housing is around 75,000.

Old 11-15-2008, 01:43 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,926,305 times
Yikes, that's extremely low. The fixer-uppers on Long Island (where I grew up and looking to buy a house now) are usually around 300,000.

Old 11-15-2008, 01:52 PM

821 posts, read 1,039,043 times
Looks like alot of "smoke and mirrors" to me.
I heard they call it B-lo now?

Old 11-15-2008, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Yikes, that's extremely low. The fixer-uppers on Long Island (where I grew up and looking to buy a house now) are usually around 300,000.
We have the cheapest cost of living in the country in the Buffalo area, which is good for many young people especially those attending area colleges.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City