Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 02:51 PM

181 posts, read 866,662 times

Advertisements

...or find something in a neighboring bourough. My fiancee and I will be moving to NYC in August, and we're debating on whether to give Manhatten a shot. As of now, we see ourselves staying for a few years before transferring down to Texas where we're from. While we realize that living across the Hudson or in a neighboring area (Long Island City, Astoria, Williamsburg, etc.) might save us some money (or get more space for it), there's a part of us that wants to splurge and at least give Manhatten a shot. We'll both be working in the Midtown area, and our combined income will be about $210,000k to start. What do you guys thinK? I've done tons of research and have a good idea of what prices we'll be looking at in all of those places. We'll be bringing a dog (black lab about 65 pounds).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2008, 02:56 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,942,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texags02 View Post
...or find something in a neighboring bourough. My fiancee and I will be moving to NYC in August, and we're debating on whether to give Manhatten a shot. As of now, we see ourselves staying for a few years before transferring down to Texas where we're from. While we realize that living across the Hudson or in a neighboring area (Long Island City, Astoria, Williamsburg, etc.) might save us some money (or get more space for it), there's a part of us that wants to splurge and at least give Manhatten a shot. We'll both be working in the Midtown area, and our combined income will be about $210,000k to start. What do you guys thinK? I've done tons of research and have a good idea of what prices we'll be looking at in all of those places. We'll be bringing a dog (black lab about 65 pounds).
First, let's spell it correctly: ManhattAn. You're going to have to find a rental apartment building (unless you're buying) that'll accept large dogs. That might be a challenge. Buying you're going to still have to find a building that takes dogs and sometimes the management wants to meet the dog. We do in our building.

Old 04-19-2008, 03:19 PM

Quote:
First, let's spell it correctly: ManhattAn
Ok. I know that, just typed it in haste. I'm sorry.

Old 04-19-2008, 03:23 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
If you'd like to give Manhattan a shot and it's only for a couple of years anyway, then I'd say go for it. It sounds like you know what you can afford for rent. Make sure you are factoring in a brokers fee. If you think you wouldn't mind compromising on space, then go for Manhattan. There's something to be said for being in the middle of it all for a little while.

Old 04-19-2008, 03:34 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,671,359 times
You can afford an absolutely beautiful apartment in Manhattan on a salary of $210,000. Honestly, there is no reason to even consider other boroughs with a combined salary of that magnitude. I don't know much about which buildings do or do not accept dogs, but I would go through a broker to make the search easier for you. Typically, the fee a broker charges will be anywhere from 1/2 a month's rent to 15% of the annual rent. Save yourself a lot of time and stress and go through a broker, especially given that you have a large dog.

Old 04-19-2008, 03:35 PM

Well, we're looking for a 1 bedroom, and would like to keep it under $3,000 I think. We have a hefty amount of student loans to pay back, so that factors into the equation.

Old 04-19-2008, 04:00 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,671,359 times
You can get a spacious one bedroom with a good sized livingroom and separate dining nook in a luxury building for under $3000. I would look into the neighborhoods of Gramercy, Murray Hill, Midtown East, and the Upper East Side. The Upper West Side is also very nice but it's not as convenient to get around town via subway from there. Believe it or not, the downtown neighborhoods tend to be more expensive for comparable apartments.

Old 04-19-2008, 04:31 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,369,396 times
meh, you've got lots of money, and no kids. If you want to, you can definitely afford to live in Manhattan.

The dog will be an issue.

Old 04-19-2008, 04:36 PM

How MUCH of an issue? I really don't want to break my neck looking for a place because I have a dog; however I'd prefer to avoid a broker's fee if at all possible. I do have a free place to stay in Manhattan so that I can head up there and spend time looking, but that won't be finished (uncle and aunt building a condo in the Meat Packing area) until June. I won't be moving until August though, so that's probably good enough.

Old 04-19-2008, 04:43 PM

Quote:

meh, you've got lots of money, and no kids
It'd sure feel better if we didn' have student loans payments to make in the neighborhood of (combined) $2,000 per month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City