U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 09:04 PM

15 posts, read 34,631 times

Advertisements

Taxes out the roof?

Some people are clearly clueless. NYC property taxes are lower than almost any decent place in the northeast. Move to Jersey for real shocks! As for the subway, you are exaggerating terribly!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2009, 05:24 AM

7,079 posts, read 33,754,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldtowers View Post
Taxes out the roof?

Some people are clearly clueless. NYC property taxes are lower than almost any decent place in the northeast. Move to Jersey for real shocks! As for the subway, you are exaggerating terribly!
I don't think people were talking about property taxes. And NJ property taxes are on par with Westchester and Long Island property taxes. They were referring to the City income tax. That puts a dent in anyone's budget.

Old 02-17-2010, 12:20 PM

15 posts, read 41,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theanswer View Post
Yes we all know that Italians and Greeks are the supior aryan race that keeps neigborhoods nice. What a bunch of racist rant. Is this what you would call blatant or latant racism
I dont think he was being racist he was simply stating a fact that most Italians and Greeks that have established roots in that community have left due to deteriorating conditions and an influx of less desirable people. Dont jump immediately with the race card thats getting so old and tired.

Old 02-17-2010, 12:58 PM

15 posts, read 41,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by page3000 View Post
NOPE! LOL.

Now, if you are going to make this board into a racial debate I suggest you go elsewhere . If you can't deal with people giving facts on here without making it into something else then you shouldn't be reading others comments.

When people call something Little Italy or Chinatown do you see anyone freaking out? Absolutely not. They call those places that due to the dense populations of those groups. I believe Jackson Heights is nicknamed Little India as well.

Gain some knowledge. KNOWLEDGE IS POWER!

Well said, people need to stop making all this into everyone being a racist, that stuff is so old, get over it. What this lady has said is just stating a fact! Its like saying dont call snow white because you might be a racist or how about we all just cease to use things that are obvious to describe things. UGggH so sick of that crap

Old 03-20-2010, 09:02 PM

2 posts, read 8,466 times
Astoria is less Italian and Greek. That is a fact. But to say they fled is ridiculous. And to say they fled deteriorating conditions is even more ridiculous. It's false and ignorant. The Italian and Greek immigrants that settled there simply moved to "greener pastures" - as is the case in all such neighborhoods. If Italians and Greeks were still immigrating to the U.S. they would replace the earlier ones. But the reality is that the immigrants of today are Hispanic and Asian. Therefore all neighborhoods throughout the city, state, and nation will eventually become more hispanic and asian - and less european. The "good" neighborhoods like Bayside, Fresh Meadows and Douglaston etc. are all less white. Seriously... does any one know a town or city in America that is whiter now than 30 years ago?!

If you are a racist, then this will no doubt bother you. But if you aren't, don't let the racists fool you into believing that less white means more crime. That is a complete lie and is statistically proven to be a lie. New York City is the least white it has ever been. Yet the crime rate is the lowest in almost 50 years. Hispanics and Asians are very good people. They work hard and generally try to be prosperous.

Astoria in particular is a great example. I have lived here my whole life. Astoria during the seventies and eighties was heavily Italian and Greek and crime was way worse than today. Graffiti was everywhere, cars regularly broken into for their radios, tires slashed, drugs in every park after dark, and white punks hanging out and fighting. Today Astoria is so much better. Simply no comparison. I think people for nostalgic reasons remember things rosier than they really were.

Old 03-22-2010, 05:04 PM

2,601 posts, read 7,313,293 times
Astoria has the worst air pollution in NYC- otherwise it would be nice- good location.

Old 03-22-2010, 05:12 PM

1,016 posts, read 1,426,940 times
Sunnyside, Woodside, LIC, Astoria, Jackson Heights, Rego Park, Forrest Hills,

If Astoria has the worst air pollution I am sure it moves it's way all over the city and with its neighbors of LIC and Sunnyside and Elmhurst even more.

Old 03-22-2010, 05:13 PM

1 posts, read 4,232 times
Default move to queens

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenBo View Post
Hi,

A friend of mine is moving to NY and is considering living in Queens because she doesn't want to live in Brooklyn and can't afford Manhattan. I honestly don't know much of Queens so I was wondering if anyone from that area could tell us what the best neighborhoods are.

Thanks!
hi...i have lived in ny all my life raised in brooklyn and adult life in manhatten ...if i wasent paying such a low rent i would move to astoria..its
the best and safest and rents right now are not bad and good trans to manhatten and brooklyn ...check it out....bill

Old 03-23-2010, 07:45 PM

2 posts, read 8,466 times
My pics in order are: 1. Astoria 2. Forest Hills 3. Sunnyside 4. Long Island City 5. Jackson Heights 6. Woodside 7. Rego Park
There are many other nice places to live but these neighborhoods are subway convenient.

Old 03-23-2010, 08:15 PM

2,482 posts, read 1,252,355 times
Ozone Park is nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or