U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 10:45 AM

1 posts, read 4,489 times

Advertisements

Kew Gardens is also one of the most beutiful areas in Queens. Located in central Queens east of Forest Hills Gardens, It seems like an extension of Forest Hills. Apartments are a little pricey but not as high as Forest Hills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2010, 11:07 AM

11 posts, read 14,017 times
Moderator cut: Please send individual brokers via DM, thanks. they can assist in finding the perfect place.

Last edited by bmwguydc; 04-09-2010 at 04:47 PM.. Reason: Please send individual brokers via DM, thanks.

Old 04-10-2010, 08:11 AM

731 posts, read 1,794,754 times
I'm surprised not too many people mentioned Woodside for these guys. It's close to Manhattan, via the (7) and LIRR.

Old 04-10-2010, 08:37 AM

1,810 posts, read 6,221,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cotb16 View Post
I'm surprised not too many people mentioned Woodside for these guys. It's close to Manhattan, via the (7) and LIRR.
Woodside is one those sleepy neighborhoods that doesn't get much attention. Same thing can be said for Sunnyside and to some extent Maspeth.

Old 04-11-2010, 12:22 AM

549 posts, read 1,725,538 times
I grew up in Glendale, Queens. I'm in my early 30s. I still go back there often. A lovely area....very safe with well cared for mostly semi-attached homes with driveways.

East Glendale (realtors call it Upper Glendale) extends from 73rd place east to Union Turnpike. This is where the homes are nicest and there is the most suburban feel.

Glendale (Lower Glendale) is more urban but still very nice. It's more diverse. Closer to lots of great shopping on Myrtle Ave. in adjoing Ridgewood.

Myrtle Ave, runs through all of Glendale and has everything as far as everyday shopping goes. On the extreme north end of Glendale bordering Middle Village the Atlas Terminal Shops have opened: it is struggling though its a mix between outlet mall and semi-upscale strip mall.

PS 113 is one of best elementary schools in the city. Sacred Heart Catholic School serves East Glendale and St. Pancra the rest of Glendale.

Commuting to the city is indeirect but not too difficult. Besides express buses you can take the Q29 bus to Queens center Mall and get on local subway there....

Old 09-02-2010, 03:21 AM

1 posts, read 3,944 times
Check out [url=http://queensweddings.wordpress.com]Getting Married in Queens, NYC[/url] for information about wedding locations in Queens, New York.

Old 09-04-2010, 07:32 AM

1,253 posts, read 1,787,735 times
Thank you for posting that, Morningside_gal in #71.

I was really wondering where people were getting on the train if they were saying the commute to Midtown from Astoria is 10 minutes. I can tell you that from Astoria/Ditmars Blvd to Grand Central is 20-25 minutes during rush hour, even if the 7 is waiting for you at Queensboro P. when you switch and you get on and off the train at the closest car. And then you should add the time of the ongoing stops or walk to your workplace. For me the total commute is 30 minutes, which is reasonable. For others, that might not be reasonable. If commute time is an issue for you, you should make the trip during rush hour before committing to living in any area. (best to do your own due diligence and not take anyone's word for it, including the mta).

That said, I've only lived here for a week. Already I love Astoria like crazy. It makes me happy to buy imported food and veg at 11 pm, and see so many ethnicities, modes of dress, elderly people, families, kids, hipsters, all sharing the same sidewalk in peace and harmony. Great restaurants, bakeries, and bagel shops. Only one complaint: I'm gonna get fat here.

I also looked at apts. in Jackson Hghts. Interesting, vibrant area, but it just seemed more congested in the areas where I saw apts. Astoria just seems more 'wide open' in a way, which to me is a nice change when you leave Manhattan (also great, don't get me wrong) at the end of the day.

Old 01-03-2011, 10:34 PM

6 posts, read 16,104 times
just stay away from whitestone bayside flushing jamaica and far rockaway

Old 01-04-2011, 02:39 AM

31 posts, read 130,977 times
Hello everybody!

I am moving to Astoria this summer. I am in my early 20's. Can anybody tell me which areas in Astoria are full of stores, restaurants, etc?

Old 01-04-2011, 09:05 AM

527 posts, read 868,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCT all day View Post
just stay away from whitestone bayside flushing jamaica and far rockaway

Why is that?????
Whitestone and Bayside are two of the nicest areas in Queens
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or