U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 01:12 PM

1 posts, read 14,392 times

Advertisements

Okay, I have been reading the posts, but I am actually looking for an area in Queens that has parks, places where I can run safely in the evening with my dog, places that are not overcrowded with people demanding the same usage of green space. Any place in Queens that fits that bill and is also near subway/LIRR?

I want a quaint area with a cute downtown - think Irvington, NY, Westfield, NJ, or Frederick MD. After all, I am a young professional and would like a place I can hang on weekends and during happy hours, yet be able to explore the greenery.

Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2011, 09:21 PM

549 posts, read 1,717,032 times
Look no further than Forest Hills. Very safe. Access to subway, LIRR. A couple of small charming parks, and borders two enormous parks on its north (Flushing Meadows, which has a lake) and south (Forest Park, which has a bridal path). Mix of apartments; very pricey English garden exclusivity (Forest Hills Gardens: only residents and their guests can park); old fashioned Midle class Queens authenticity (neighborhood around Metropolitan Ave); and well-kept modern suburban sterility (the single family homes north of Queens Blvd).

Major shopping areas on Austin Street and 71st Avenue ("Contitental Ave. to Queens natives). Metropolitan Ave. has lots of stores, restuarants, and a few antique shops. "Big box stores" at the intersection of Metropolitan Ave. and Woodhaven Blvd.

No neighborhood is perfect, but as far as Forest Hills is concerned, there's nothing else quite like it. Look into it.

The area around Austin/Continental/subway is somehwat congested, but the rest is not. Good Luck.

Last edited by Wes927; 07-24-2011 at 09:23 PM.. Reason: more info

Old 08-18-2011, 08:37 AM

4 posts, read 18,702 times
I am a recent college graduate from Westchester. I will be working in Long Island, but I have a car and I don't want to sit in traffic over the bridges while paying $12 every day. I also do not want to live in Long Island, as I am sick of suburban life. What are some safer areas in queens were driving shouldn't be too big of a problem?

Old 08-18-2011, 08:47 AM

147 posts, read 311,996 times
You want an easy commute to Manhattan? what is your budget?
Astoria is nice, LIC is becoming nice, Forest Hills is nic for a family (not good for a single IMO) but the commute is longer. Sunnyside and Woodside are both decent commutes.

Do you care about schools? What other factors?

Old 09-02-2011, 11:20 AM

40 posts, read 190,431 times
lachicdina, I am in the same situation with you. I am now living in Princeton NJ and just started a job at 5th Avenue. So, commuting takes me nearly 4 hours a day We need to move NY (my husband and my dog) because I am working on PM shift; but I have NO idea about NY. You know, Princeton is a calm, quiet and very safe place. Moving to NY sometimes terrifies me.
We need to be near subway station because my husband is working in Princeton so he is going to use subway+train.
I heard about Queens but I want to be safe while walking my dog, while away from home, etc..
We can pay max, $1800. We are a young couple but we love suburban places, we want to live somewhere SAFE.
Any ideas? Forest Hills? Astoria?
Please help!

Old 09-02-2011, 11:39 AM

22 posts, read 48,911 times
How is the area near St. John's university? I am thinking about attending there next semester.

Old 09-02-2011, 02:40 PM

4,841 posts, read 7,856,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lachicdina View Post
Okay, I have been reading the posts, but I am actually looking for an area in Queens that has parks, places where I can run safely in the evening with my dog, places that are not overcrowded with people demanding the same usage of green space. Any place in Queens that fits that bill and is also near subway/LIRR?

Any suggestions?
Try Glendale, where I live. Forest Park is very close by, and so is the M train in nearby Ridgewood. Middle Village and Forest Hills are also good choices.

Old 09-02-2011, 08:50 PM

393 posts, read 754,310 times
I live in Flushing, it is extremely safe, fairly inexpensive. It is mostly Chinese in my area, thus there are great Chinese restaurants! It is extremely safe and very quiet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenBo View Post
Hi,

A friend of mine is moving to NY and is considering living in Queens because she doesn't want to live in Brooklyn and can't afford Manhattan. I honestly don't know much of Queens so I was wondering if anyone from that area could tell us what the best neighborhoods are.

Thanks!
May I ask why no Brooklyn? I'm a Queens resident but I don't see any reason to like one and not the other. Maybe she has some fear of hipsters but that's no reason to discount the whole borough... only North Williamsburg!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post
Jackson Heights? Don't move there unless you speak Hindi/Urdu.

Astoria isn't as nice as it used to be. All of the Italians, and many of the Greeks have fled.
I'm assuming your underlying assumption is that any neighborhoods that aren't majority white are bad neighborhoods... not true at all. Jackson Heights and Astoria are both good neighborhoods in my opinion.

Old 09-02-2011, 11:13 PM

4,841 posts, read 7,856,745 times
Isn't Astoria still majority white? I know a lot of yuppies have been moving there and there's still plenty of Italians and Greeks there.

Old 09-03-2011, 01:08 AM

393 posts, read 754,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCT all day View Post
just stay away from whitestone bayside flushing jamaica and far rockaway
you kidding? Flushing is the best! I've never seen any crime in my year-plus in this neighborhood. What do you have against Flushing? Sure, it's mostly Chinese families, but they tend to not commit crimes or cause disturbances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or