U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 10:28 AM

9 posts, read 36,436 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am planning to come as a green card winner from Europe to NYC in September.
Would do please tell me something about part of Queens called Glendale?
What's it like for living for one young family with baby? Is it safe? What's like for commuting? Is there children's nursery? Generally what's your opinion about Glendale? Can you count me advantages and disadvantages of this area?

Thanks a lot. :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2008, 03:45 PM

295 posts, read 1,280,462 times
Default queens & glendale

Queens girl here...

An answer to the previous post...Glendale is nice, safe...a decent place to raise a kid.

Generally...Queens is DIVERSE. It has pockets of all type of races living together & the different areas change through time. Astoria in particular oscillates...it even depends on what STREET you are on. I think, in general, the pockets are melting in together a bit more.

The best way to pick a place is to decide what you can afford & go to the neighborhoods that are commutable for you & walk through them...go to the stores, parks, ect. You will find the one you feel fits you. If you want cafes & bars...Astoria has more than, let's say, Glendale.

Old 05-26-2008, 04:11 PM

878 posts, read 2,400,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jDiem View Post
I use to live in the Queensbridge Projects Im not gonna recomend that for obvious reasons, but what about Hollis?
Hollis is a decent area depending on where you end up at in the neighborhood. I think closer to Hillside Avenue is considered better then down toward Hollis or Murdock Ave. At least that was how it was when I was growing up around there.

For anyone thinking about moving to Queens the biggest thing is that Queens is not necessarily a train borough. Astoria, Jackson Heights, Forest Hills, Kew Gardens, Jamaica, LIC, Flushing, Corona are all neighborhoods that can be accessed via the train but alot of other areas are more bus orientated. Rosedale, Laurelton, Cambria Heights, Holliswood, parts of Jamaica Estates, parts of Briarwood, Queens Village, Bayside, Floral Park and various other neighborhoods all require the use of buses unless you are willing to take the LIRR and even with that you may still have to take a bus. In certain parts of Queens it is preferable to have a car so that you are not dependent on the buses. All in all, Queens is a nice borough that has various neighborhoods that are really nice and it is a good place to raise a family.

Old 05-26-2008, 07:29 PM

841 posts, read 3,813,580 times
Queens is the most immigrant oriented borough. If you're looking for a NYC experience (Manhattan version), you should stick to Astoria & Sunnyside. Other than that, there isn't much of a nightlife and the commute is not worth it. Eventually you're gonna regret the move

Old 05-27-2008, 02:37 PM

5 posts, read 35,848 times
Many parts of Queens are very ethnic... meaning they are somewhat like living in another country. I used to live in Flushing which is a very chinese neighborhood but I enjoyed that....

If you are looking for a neighborhood that will feel a little less like NYC and more like an average american town, I suggest Bayside.

If you are looking for a great view and easy commute to Manhattan I suggest Long Island City

Old 05-27-2008, 04:16 PM

8,900 posts, read 11,797,998 times
I live in Astoria right now, and I know all of Queens pretty well. When i'm walking around in Astoria, it sometimes feels like i'm in Manhattan. I used to live in Maspeth, which almost felt like Long Island in some ways. Not as much hustle and bustle, more families in the area.

Old 05-28-2008, 12:40 PM

2 posts, read 30,294 times
Ridgewood Queens: located at the city-line of Brooklyn (Bushwick), which also neighbors Williamsburg, & Bed-Stuy. 20 mins to Manhattan (on a good day), 30-40 on a not so good day (everyone & their mother goes to NYC in the morning : ( Rent is so/so (1k-1300). Lots of railroad apartments, sometimes w/o closets, usually no pets. For the most part the area is stable. However, there are certain streets to stay away from. (i.e. Norman btwn Cypress & Seneca, Palmetto btwn St. Nicholas & Cypress, Himrod btwn Cypress & Seneca, Everything beyond Stanhope and everything after St. Nicholas.

Hope this helped.

Old 06-26-2008, 02:44 PM

7 posts, read 72,432 times
Default Bayside?

Hi, I'm thinking about moving to Bayside. Rent for a 1 Bedroom is more than I expected but the location (Bell Blvd and 36th St) seems perfect. I'm from LI so I don't know much about queens. Does Bayside have a fun nightlife (bars, clubs etc)? If not, which areas of eastern Queens (I work in Garden City) have a better nightlife? Are there a lot of 20 and 30 somethings in bayside? Also, is taking a bus or cab to Flushing- Main street for the 7 train quicker and better than taking the LIRR? Any other thoughts about Bayside for a young peron? Thanks

Old 06-26-2008, 04:40 PM

1,872 posts, read 1,988,178 times
IMO Laurelton, Bay Side (which was named the best place to raise a fam in NYC), Cambria Heights, and Astoria.

Old 06-27-2008, 11:01 PM

838 posts, read 813,038 times
Jackson Heights is freakin' India lol. BUt it's not too bad. Safe for females. Don't live in Corona..I'm staying there now and it's digusting. I lived in Middle Village..which is near Maspeth and that's even better for females..and nice and quiet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City