U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 10:56 PM

536 posts, read 2,091,490 times

Advertisements

74th and Roosevelt has nothing on Hillside Avenue when it comes to visible Indian influence, from Jamaica all the way through Herricks. Probably not as famous only because it's not concentrated. It's like how guidebooks cover "Koreatown" in Manhattan but not Northern Blvd from Flushing through Great Neck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2008, 11:04 PM

3,225 posts, read 7,492,980 times
In response to the OP's question, my vote goes to Forest Hills, Kew Gardens, Rego Park. I choose these for their central Queens location, convenient access to Manhattan and Long Island, stable middle class population, access to urban conveniences like shopping, health care, entertainment, the mixture of urban and suburban, and a largely esthetic appearance of most of the neighborhoods in these three areas.

Old 08-30-2008, 08:18 AM

2,391 posts, read 4,561,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laricak View Post
Hi,

I am planning to come as a green card winner from Europe to NYC in September.
Would do please tell me something about part of Queens called Glendale?
What's it like for living for one young family with baby? Is it safe? What's like for commuting? Is there children's nursery? Generally what's your opinion about Glendale? Can you count me advantages and disadvantages of this area?

Thanks a lot. :-)
I lived in Glendale for 35 years. Great area. Parks, trees, quiet but not near subway. Forest park is large & beautiful. Mostly single & 2 family houses.

Old 11-17-2008, 09:04 AM

1 posts, read 5,612 times
i will be moving to far rockaway soon with my fiance, he is a tru brooklynite, and iam from the untied kingdom but i've lived in new york here and there in different areas but we dont know much about far rockaway or queens for that matter,so if anyone knows any information drop me a line thanks.

Old 11-17-2008, 09:31 AM

8,900 posts, read 12,703,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newto daborough View Post
i will be moving to far rockaway soon with my fiance, he is a tru brooklynite, and iam from the untied kingdom but i've lived in new york here and there in different areas but we dont know much about far rockaway or queens for that matter,so if anyone knows any information drop me a line thanks.

Why would you move to an area you never researched? There are good and bad sections of Far Rockaway.

Old 11-18-2008, 08:22 AM

1,111 posts, read 4,151,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Why would you move to an area you never researched? There are good and bad sections of Far Rockaway.
I agree, any particular reason why your moving to Far Rock? Some parts are nice, but some are questionable too. Depending on your budget and/or needs, there are definitely nicer areas in Queens to move to. Far Rock is a little remote too, I think. I have a friend that used to live out there, and nobody wanted to drive him home because it was so out of the way

Old 11-18-2008, 12:38 PM

Far Rock is so remote the Long Island Railroad leaves city limits for seven stops before returning to make the stop there....

Old 11-19-2008, 05:12 AM

46 posts, read 227,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newto daborough View Post
Most sections of far rockaway are terrible. I'm guessing your boyfriend is a black guy.

Old 11-19-2008, 05:13 AM

46 posts, read 227,868 times
Rego Park and Howard Beach are great. Although you would need to provied more information about yourself for me to determine if you would like it.

Old 11-19-2008, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by italian23 View Post
Most sections of far rockaway are terrible. I'm guessing your boyfriend is a black guy.
::raises eyebrow::
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or