U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 08:45 PM

44 posts, read 229,772 times

Advertisements

We just moved to Astoria from Manhattan. We love it. Lower rent. Nicer place. Good elementary school. Quiet. All the amenties you need within a subway stop or 2 (or right outside your door, depending on where you live). The train ride into the city is NOT 10 minutes, though. From the Ditmars area it's 30 minutes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2008, 08:59 PM

132 posts, read 453,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morningside_gal View Post
We just moved to Astoria from Manhattan. We love it. Lower rent. Nicer place. Good elementary school. Quiet. All the amenties you need within a subway stop or 2 (or right outside your door, depending on where you live). The train ride into the city is NOT 10 minutes, though. From the Ditmars area it's 30 minutes.
Really? The MTA's subway schedule says it's 20 minutes from Ditmars to 57th/7th Ave in Midtown, or about 15 minutes from the Broadway stop in Astoria. If the transit schedules are underreporting travel times by 30%, I need to re-adjust which neighborhood to move to.

Old 11-20-2008, 09:12 PM

8,900 posts, read 11,800,501 times
I like Astoria, where I live. I've lived in Middle village and Maspeth. Although I was just a little kid in Middle Village, I still remember it. Though my views of it are somewhat biased compared to now, since I was a kid then and an adult living in Maspeth and then Astoria. Anyway, the Ditmars blvd area in Astoria (where I live), isn't nearly as crowded and busy as a lot of areas of Queens, which is really nice since it's so close to Manhattan at the same time.

Old 11-20-2008, 09:18 PM

467 posts, read 1,450,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty_Shackleford View Post
Really? The MTA's subway schedule says it's 20 minutes from Ditmars to 57th/7th Ave in Midtown, or about 15 minutes from the Broadway stop in Astoria. If the transit schedules are underreporting travel times by 30%, I need to re-adjust which neighborhood to move to.
I lived in Astoria and it would take 10-15 minutes from the Broadway stop, and I'd say a little longer from Ditmars. I don't know what the person above is talking about! It's a short ride to midtown. If you're going downtown or somewhere else in the city, of course it is longer.

Old 11-21-2008, 09:48 AM

1,915 posts, read 6,875,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty_Shackleford View Post
They're not under-reporting.. you need to take into consideration a lot of factors like how fast people get onto the train, that there's no delays, that there's not another train coming in, etc.

Old 02-10-2009, 06:58 PM

4 posts, read 30,029 times
Don't move to howard beach. It coast a lot of money and the crime there is high. The kids there are nuts.

Old 02-11-2009, 08:05 AM

2,763 posts, read 5,631,803 times
Depends on what they are looking for. Being practical anything close to a subway will get you into the city in a fair amount of time. The better places that are close to the subways are expensive. Not manhattan expensive but still expensive. Astoria/LIC/Forest Hills tend to be very trendy, but are also extremely conjested. Parts of Jackson Heights and Woodside are still nice, but also further away from the train (the nice parts anyway. There are other okay places to live, but again most of the nice parts of those neighborhoods are going to be further from transportation. You have to decide what you are really looking for in an area and then people can equip you with the best information.

Old 02-11-2009, 11:11 AM

2,321 posts, read 4,943,735 times
I would recommend Jackson Heights since its beautiful and very diverse but the majority are definiately South Asian. There's some Hispanics there as well more near Junction BLVD. If you can swing-it Forrest Hills, Van Wyck is also beautiful. Queens in general is just an awesome place to live. So much diversity, and lots of beautiful neighborhoods.

Old 02-11-2009, 11:26 AM

2,321 posts, read 4,943,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by celtic99 View Post
Don't move to howard beach. It coast a lot of money and the crime there is high. The kids there are nuts.

The Rockaways in general have been the roughest parts in Queens as of late. I love visiting the beach there during the summer months but I been hearing of lot of crazy news as of late.

Old 02-12-2009, 03:15 PM

10 posts, read 38,572 times
This question was asked before by someone like you. Here is the answer I gave to that person:

NYC is expensive even for middle-income people. Most likely you will be living in Queens or Brooklyn. Manhattan is full of rich and poor people.

Monthly Bills and Expenses (2008 dollars)

Studio Apartment: $1500.
Utilities (gas and electricity): $150.
Subway/bus fares: $124 ($4/rountrip for 31 days).
Food: $300.
Life Insurance: $50.
Clothes: $60.
Miscellaneous: $200.
Total: $2384

That means you must make about $2384 per month after taxes. Or you must make about $28608 per year after taxes.

A lot of people do not make that much money when they are starting out in their careers. That is why a lot of young people are staying with their parents or sharing an apartment with a roommate. New York is not cheap but this is approximately what you would need, as a minimum, to live comfortably. Just as comparison, it would cost approximately $350,000 (before taxes) for a married couple with one child to live comfortably in a two bedroom apartment (Queens or Brooklyn). $350,000 is not a lot of money in New York City.

Sure there are other places that you can live cheaper but there is a huge trade-off and it is usually not in a better neighborhood. Crime is still a problem in poor and lower middle-income neighborhoods. I donít think you want to live in a housing project or a subsidized home.

New York City is approximately 440 square miles (land and water) and is broken into five boroughs Ė Manhattan, Brooklyn, Bronx, Staten Island, and Queens. New York City is not just Manhattan, it is all five boroughs! It is an insult to New York City residents when people say the real city is in Manhattan. Again, the real city is all five boroughs.

New York City has real people who are from all over. This means they are no nonsense people. Most of them are not mean spirited or evil but they have to go to work or school and do not have the time to play mind games with people.

With the exceptions of some police movies and TV shows, there is no TV show or movie that accurately portrays NYC life. They are just for fantasy and entertainment.

Donít expect a lot of things to happen to you for the better. New York City is that way; it forces everyone to be direct and upfront with important things. Go to school with the intention of learning and trying to do the best academically. You are not going to school to socialize, find a boyfriend or girlfriend, looking cool in attitude or fashion, or even just partying. You are going to school simply to learn. You will find out that most of the students are transient people to you and could care less if you are popular or not.

If you have that mind set and donít expect a lot social gratification then you will do fine in the City. If you end up with one or two friends then you are doing okay.

But New York can be intimidating so donít get upset or depressed. People at first seem cold and uninviting. But after awhile you will see decent people who are just trying to make a living. If you ever move to Manhattan then try exploring the other four boroughs Ė where the real New York City residents live. That alone will surpass any night life Manhattan has to offer.

Places to live in Queens are Forest Hills, Bayside, Glen Oaks, Douglaston, Little Neck, Fresh Meadows, parts of Flushing, parts of Elmhurst, and Rego Park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City