U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 01:05 PM

2,296 posts, read 4,513,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Herman View Post
You have to be kidding me, do you think the Chinese, Arabs, and Mexicans for example are coming here for our gay pride parades, vaunted health care system, terrible public education system, and large swaths of ghettoes? Nope, they are coming here to make money and send it back home, they don't consider themselves Americans. The parts of Queens I was in are Astoria, Sunnyside, Woodside, and Glendale. I spent last time in Brooklyn, where I was in Flatbush, DUMBO, and another spot I can remember.
No, and I never said that was why they are coming. How did you read that into my feedback? I believe that there are two sets (if not more) of people migrating to NYC today. Those who need to make money to send home and those who hope to live a chic and trendy life. to escape the doldrums. Everyone wants to make money but some would be content to have enough to just live nicely. Do you agree?

And, in case you didn't read my second post, I agree with some of your comments that even in diverse neighborhoods that people don't readily crossover. I don't have much in common with stroller mommies or with the dudes hanging on the corner even if we are of the same race, ethnicity or cultural upbringing.

OK, you hit some of the ethnic enclaves. I find it hard to believe that most of the people you saw in Sunnyside, Woodside, Glendale and Flatbush were hipsters. In Astoria and DUMBO, maybe but not the rest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2010, 07:55 PM

615 posts, read 420,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queensgrl View Post
No, and I never said that was why they are coming. How did you read that into my feedback? I believe that there are two sets (if not more) of people migrating to NYC today. Those who need to make money to send home and those who hope to live a chic and trendy life. to escape the doldrums. Everyone wants to make money but some would be content to have enough to just live nicely. Do you agree?

And, in case you didn't read my second post, I agree with some of your comments that even in diverse neighborhoods that people don't readily crossover. I don't have much in common with stroller mommies or with the dudes hanging on the corner even if we are of the same race, ethnicity or cultural upbringing.

OK, you hit some of the ethnic enclaves. I find it hard to believe that most of the people you saw in Sunnyside, Woodside, Glendale and Flatbush were hipsters. In Astoria and DUMBO, maybe but not the rest.
I didn't just see white yuppie/hipster types, I saw what I call "newer" immigrants too. For example there was one neighborhood in Queens I was in that had a lot of Pakistanis amongst other ethnic groups. I didn't see the Pakistanis with those other ethnic groups though, they were with Pakistanis. So there you have a neighborhood in a neighborhood, not a utopic diverse neighborhood with each group hanging out with the other. On paper the neighborhood will look diverse, but in reality it is fractured on ethnic / religious lines, and it makes the greater hood weak. You're not going to get that community, trust, and brotherhood in a neighborhood with groups as diverse as Irish and Pakistanis. They are just too different, the cultures are a world apart. I think diversity in neighborhoods is a sham, it divides and makes us weaker overall.

Old 05-21-2010, 02:54 AM

2,240 posts, read 2,667,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolguyfromQueens View Post
Im a black man living in whitestone Queens and wondering why there isnt so many black folks in this area i like it here alot its just like any hood in queens
You can ask the same of Harlem...how come so many black folks? It where white middle class folks settled. Many own homes. Renters come and go, but home owners stick around longer. And you need a car. Most black folks living in Queens take public transit. And Whitestone is so "far".

Old 05-21-2010, 02:55 AM

Quote:
I didn't just see white yuppie/hipster types, I saw what I call "newer" immigrants too. For example there was one neighborhood in Queens I was in that had a lot of Pakistanis amongst other ethnic groups. I didn't see the Pakistanis with those other ethnic groups though, they were with Pakistanis. So there you have a neighborhood in a neighborhood, not a utopic diverse neighborhood with each group hanging out with the other. On paper the neighborhood will look diverse, but in reality it is fractured on ethnic / religious lines, and it makes the greater hood weak. You're not going to get that community, trust, and brotherhood in a neighborhood with groups as diverse as Irish and Pakistanis. They are just too different, the cultures are a world apart. I think diversity in neighborhoods is a sham, it divides and makes us weaker overall.
Diversity divides us? Wow...that makes sense. Diversity a sham? Hmmm. You live where? Diversity doesn't mean you need to go grab yourself an Indian friend and go eat at his favorite Indian restaurant. It doesn't mean you should learn Korean, and hang out at the local Korean bar and talk about Samsung, and North Korea. It means, you can live in a neighborhood where your neighbors are different, and you are ok with that. That you are open to meeting people of different cultures and respecting them for who they are. That you can ride the train together, and not feel uncomfortable by being surrounded by folks different from you. That you don't have a heart attack, because a Kenyan family moved down the block.

And Queens county is the most diverse county in the country...and it's a great place for it.

Old 05-21-2010, 03:03 AM

Quote:
I'm from Philadelphia, so I have an outsiders view of NYC. I was in NYC in April for a weekend visiting a friend, I was shocked how few neighborhoods seem to be left in NYC ( I spent my time in Queens and Brooklyn). The city seemed to be chock full of white yuppie/hipster types and newer immigrants, I didn't notice any old ethnic neighborhoods that gave NYC its personality in the past. A lot of the apologist will claim it is just one group replacing another, which is true, but the newer immigrants are just in NYC to make money. They aren't going to put down roots there for decades like the Italians and Irish did in the past, once the newer immigrants make some money they move off to another place. The apologist will say ethnic neighborhoods were always like that, but it is not one bit true. The immigration of today is nothing like the immigration of 50+ years ago. Back then an immigrant couldn't keep close tabs on the old country because technology didn't allow them to, and they couldn't jump on a plane and go back whenever they wanted then. The immigrants of today are just here for the money, they don't put down roots or leave their cultural foot print on the city. It seems to me the NYC of today is not much different then suburbia in a soical sense, it's just a bunch of working and making money. They spend little if any time building communities or foring ties with their neighbors, hell most of them probably don't even know their neighbors name.....
It's called evolution. And today's immigrants aren't the first to send money back to their native lands. Also, you think most immigrants pack up and leave? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. You are very ignorant on the subject, which is apparent. I have YET to meet one "new" immigrant who has left and returned home! You think it's easy to make a new life here? I am sure you don't have what it takes to leave your native country, to a foreign land, find work, and make a better life for yourself. But, here you are ranting on this forum and putting down immigrants based on your stereotypes. Immigrants don't put down roots?? You haven't been to Jackson Heights, have you. You have been to Flushing, Queens. Just because they aren't the type of immigrants you would like to see, doesn't make than less that the Italians and Irish of the last century. It's so easy to read between your lines. Views like yours is what poisons this great nation. And if you want hoods where everyone has been there for generations, go to Nebraska or North Dakota, I'm sure they have plenty of hoods there that meet that criteria.

Last edited by NYer75; 05-21-2010 at 03:13 AM..

Old 05-21-2010, 06:22 AM

38 posts, read 90,564 times
Thanks NYer75, I could not have said it better!

Old 05-21-2010, 06:39 AM

8,389 posts, read 19,628,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer75 View Post
It's called evolution. And today's immigrants aren't the first to send money back to their native lands. Also, you think most immigrants pack up and leave? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. You are very ignorant on the subject, which is apparent. I have YET to meet one "new" immigrant who has left and returned home! You think it's easy to make a new life here? I am sure you don't have what it takes to leave your native country, to a foreign land, find work, and make a better life for yourself. But, here you are ranting on this forum and putting down immigrants based on your stereotypes. Immigrants don't put down roots?? You haven't been to Jackson Heights, have you. You have been to Flushing, Queens. Just because they aren't the type of immigrants you would like to see, doesn't make than less that the Italians and Irish of the last century. It's so easy to read between your lines. Views like yours is what poisons this great nation. And if you want hoods where everyone has been there for generations, go to Nebraska or North Dakota, I'm sure they have plenty of hoods there that meet that criteria.
Or he could just stay in Philadelphia,a city that has been sliding down the economic tube for the last couple of decades because of it's culture of insularity, while more dynamic cities like NY and Boston have been booming.

Old 05-21-2010, 08:47 AM

2,296 posts, read 4,513,138 times
To the OP. I'm curious ... how did you come to the decision to move to Whitestone? It's a nice area but as I said earlier, not high on the list of where a black person would go -- even those who can afford it.

Old 05-21-2010, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer75 View Post
New immigration is nothing like old immigration, one of the reasons is technology alone. When you immigrated to the US 70 years ago you were completely cutoff from the old country, now you're not. People who immigrate to the US today are here for money, most they send back home. An Arab or Chinese person isn't immigrating to NYC to hangout in bars or go to "gay pride" parades. The new immigrants in Jackson Heights and Flushing won't be there in 10 years, let alone 80 years. This nation ain't so great, atleast not since it decided to pimp itself out. You can't build a real community when people are so different, they can't even share a meal without watering down their cuisine so they don't offend others.

Old 05-21-2010, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Or he could just stay in Philadelphia,a city that has been sliding down the economic tube for the last couple of decades because of it's culture of insularity, while more dynamic cities like NY and Boston have been booming.
I didn't find nothing dynamic about NYC, the parts of Queens I was in reminded me of a more densely populated version of suburbia. It was totally soulless, you can tell people didn't even know their neighbors for the most part, it was different ethnic groups with their own kind when I saw any real interaction. People only move to NYC to make money, it is a Mecca for materialist, once they get enough money they move to another place. Even the blacks who've been in NYC for centuries are leaving the place in droves, and they are being replaced by white yuppie/hypsters and money obsessed immigrants. If that is dynamic, you can keep it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City