U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 09:52 PM

838 posts, read 904,024 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkFan View Post
I agree - I think New Yorkers are great. That's why I want to be one of them.
You'll never really be one of them. What's up with the groupie status for real?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2008, 05:45 AM

19,228 posts, read 32,742,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by page3000 View Post
You'll never really be one of them. What's up with the groupie status for real?
geez talk about being a cynic

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 08-23-2008, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
geez talk about being a cynic
Quit picking on me today. I haven't even had my coffee yet.

But really...this leads to another conversation. What really makes you a NewYorker?
Although I like NYC for different reasons...I know I am a Californian by default. That's all.

Old 08-23-2008, 10:36 AM

1,121 posts, read 5,922,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by page3000 View Post
What really makes you a NewYorker?
If you're a native? No way around that one.

Old 08-23-2008, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 009 View Post
If you're a native? No way around that one.
That was EXACTLY my thought. I didn't know if I was being cynical for agreeing with that though.

Last edited by page3000; 08-23-2008 at 11:07 AM..

Old 08-23-2008, 09:22 PM

31 posts, read 149,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texags02 View Post
I was there this past week getting situated and locking down my apartment. So many times New Yorkers would come right up to us, without us asking, if we looked confused on the Subway or on the Street. Seriously, the hospitality was very sincere (in my opinion) and was very much appreciated. People went out of there way for me a few times, and no, I'm not talking about those in the service industry working for tips (waiters, etc.). It made me all the much more comfortable in my new City. This Texan loves you guys.
That is so sweet, I appreciate your kindness to create this thread.

I hardly feel New Yorkers a cold, calculative bunch. Yes, we're hardcore and straight forward mostly but that's just us being no-nonsense and efficient. But in general people are glad to lend a helping hand, and in most neighborhoods there's still a sense of community existing in NY.

Last edited by CarlaB; 08-23-2008 at 09:44 PM..

Old 08-23-2008, 09:37 PM

31 posts, read 149,914 times
Personally I don't think you have to be a native New Yorker, born and raised, to be considered a "New Yorker". Whoever that embraces what makes it so great a city: the energy, the respect for privacy and individualism, the eagerness to self-improve, the no-nonsense, the go-with-the-flow attitude when off and the "can do" mentality when on, is open-minded and always welcomes the new change and new inspiration. Whoever that fits in with the city's rhythm and tempo, whoever survives the city's bluntness and brutality when it applies, whoever that has enough sense of humor to not take himself too seriously when living in a city that cynicism is a norm and perfectionism is what keeps you happy and anxious at the same time.

In a way, if you get the "spirit" of New York, then you're a New Yorker.

(NewYorkFan: you can be one of the New Yorkers even when living in another city, it's the matter of attitude & sassiness, it doesn't really matter if you're not physically living here.)

Old 08-25-2008, 10:40 AM

41 posts, read 109,480 times
I agree wholeheartedly texags02. I liked the guy that said this: (we looked lost)

"Where you goin?"

"Coney Island"

"1 train to 59th street. D train to Coney Island. Have fun." (He's already moving away)

No fanfare, no fluff but very nice.

And I've had good experiences for a few years now. On a previous trip one guy helped us as we got on the train, then he actually walked up 2 cars to be sure we got off at the right place.

Reputations are easy to loose but tough to gain. It must be that the rude reputation is from years ago or something. Anyway - lots of positive interactions during the week and few negative ones.

Last edited by Viralmd; 08-25-2008 at 11:06 AM.. Reason: language

Old 08-25-2008, 11:27 AM

9,917 posts, read 12,988,856 times
New Yorkers are short because they are usually living pressure filled lives. Also, when they are friendly, it is usually genuine, where as in some other places, watch your back as that Southern smile turns to scowl when you leave the room.

Old 08-25-2008, 11:52 AM

10,236 posts, read 13,532,157 times
I've experienced the same helpful friendliness in San Francisco many times, which is another city not "known" for it. And most New Yorkers I've met in Calif and Oregon are very likable.

As for what constitutes being a native. . . . Well, if NYC is anything like here in the Portlandia area, most of its people are from somewhere else. And I use another New York forum where it didn't take me long to realize that a lot of the members are not natives. I can't imagine anyone living there and not know the city a little better than some of them do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or