Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 05:29 PM

181 posts, read 866,662 times

Advertisements

I was there this past week getting situated and locking down my apartment. So many times New Yorkers would come right up to us, without us asking, if we looked confused on the Subway or on the Street. Seriously, the hospitality was very sincere (in my opinion) and was very much appreciated. People went out of there way for me a few times, and no, I'm not talking about those in the service industry working for tips (waiters, etc.). It made me all the much more comfortable in my new City. This Texan loves you guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2008, 07:39 PM

10 posts, read 20,395 times
Haha your title made it seem like you were going to say New Yorkers are aholes since you said "freindliness in your title and not rudeness". Nice to see a happy person though. I can't wait to move to NY myself

Old 08-01-2008, 07:45 PM

21,274 posts, read 6,348,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texags02 View Post
I was there this past week getting situated and locking down my apartment. So many times New Yorkers would come right up to us, without us asking, if we looked confused on the Subway or on the Street. Seriously, the hospitality was very sincere (in my opinion) and was very much appreciated. People went out of there way for me a few times, and no, I'm not talking about those in the service industry working for tips (waiters, etc.). It made me all the much more comfortable in my new City. This Texan loves you guys.
I've always found native New Yorkers to be very friendly and helpful. I've learned the subway system by asking questions and was ALWAYS treated politely!!!! Are they busy and in a rush to get everything done? YES, but they always have time for the inexperienced. The more I receive the more I pass it on.

Old 08-01-2008, 08:23 PM

536 posts, read 2,348,912 times
People just assume we're rude because we have a low tolerance for bull.

Old 08-01-2008, 08:47 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
Maybe it's half friendliness and half nosiness and wanting to be in the middle of everything. Tourist needs directions? Oh ME ME ME! (jumping up and down, waving hand) I know the answer!

Just kidding - glad you are having a good experience. Don't forget to take the trains occasionally further into Queens to see what's there (don't be Manhattan-centric).

Old 08-01-2008, 08:52 PM

21,274 posts, read 6,348,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Maybe it's half friendliness and half nosiness and wanting to be in the middle of everything. Tourist needs directions? Oh ME ME ME! (jumping up and down, waving hand) I know the answer!

Just kidding - glad you are having a good experience. Don't forget to take the trains occasionally further into Queens to see what's there (don't be Manhattan-centric).
My son lives in Mt. Vernon but comes across, at first meeting, as a laid back, non-agressive person. He fits right in with any native born Manhattanite. It's a good attitude that I wouldn't give up. Neither would my son.

Old 08-01-2008, 09:33 PM

72 posts, read 262,660 times
These observations have been semi-scientifically proven

New York (!) named politest city - Life - MSNBC.com

Old 08-01-2008, 10:12 PM

149 posts, read 201,028 times
When I first came to New York I felt the same way.

People were so quick to hit me with the "You look lost! Do you need directions?" It happened more than a few times.

New Yorkers are nice people, especially when you consider that New York is the most visited city in the country and is packed with throngs of tourists who block and clog up the streets.

Old 08-01-2008, 10:18 PM

283 posts, read 1,072,375 times
People in most American cities just don't have to interact with strangers in the same ways that New Yorkers do every day. For that reason, there is a very real cultural divide between New York and visitors from other places even within this country. I think most of the "rude" reputation comes when people who visit quite frankly don't try to respect the customs of the city. If you're standing in front of a turnstile digging for your Metrocard in your purse, or dragging a suitcase up the stairs while a hundred people who are late for work can't get past, or meandering with your family five-wide blocking a sidewalk.. yeah, people are going to shove past you and glare, but visitors need to understand that the rudeness, however unintentionally, starts with them. New York is a city held together by a bunch of little informal rules, and when people break them it gums up the whole thing for everyone.

If you're being respectful and have a legitimate question, though, I haven't been anywhere where people are more willing to help. In the summer, between riding the subway and working a couple of blocks from Ground Zero, I give people directions a few times a week... I'd rather they ask then stand in the middle of the sidewalk unfolding a map of the whole island!

Old 08-01-2008, 11:44 PM

46 posts, read 175,222 times
I agree - I think New Yorkers are great. That's why I want to be one of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City