Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2008, 09:26 AM

38 posts, read 193,584 times

Advertisements

We are originally from Queens and considering moving back to NYC after 6 years in Florida. We want to live in the city this time, but I am unsure of what to do about schooling for my 1st grader and childcare for my 8 month old.

Question #1: I have been all over insideschools.org and at this time it is too late for my 1st grader to take any of the tests to get into the best programs in the NYC PS. So, she would have to go to her zoned school. We have not picked a neighborhood to live in yet and would like to know which are the best neighborhoods to live in to be able to get into an outstanding public school. I am looking for a school that is culturally diverse and a good mixture of families with various economic means. **Please let me know what the names/ numbers of schools are too so I can look them up.

I would do private as I never did public school in NY when I was growing up, but #1 it is extremely expen$ive in Manhattan and #2 I hear that the public school system is better now than what it used to be when I was growing up.

Also, she is in competitive dance and wants to continue, so we are looking into great dance schools, as well. I have looked into Alvin Ailey and Broadway Dance Center. Any others I should look into?

Question #2: I have been looking into childcare for my 8 month old and really need some referrals. It seems to me as though that will be a challenge and very expensive. I have contacted Little Dreamers. How are they? Anything you can help us with would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City