Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 02:54 AM

296 posts, read 734,468 times

Advertisements

Does anybody know about park place & Washington ave in prospect heights Brooklyn,NY???...Im still brainstorming about living in The Bronx or Brooklyn...Its a pretty hard decision IMO...besides prospect heights i was also looking at sunset park...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2008, 05:46 AM

34,080 posts, read 47,278,015 times
well that intersection is ok....i think there's some kind of police precinct or something police-related over there, cause i always see the cars parked, somebody correct me if i'm wrong. but its an ok area now. used to be bad years ago. right near the brooklyn museum and and franklin avenue train station. there's still a little gang problem in the area though....i wouldnt say on washington avenue, but more on the side blocks, like lincoln place and st. johns. the next streets over, classon ave and grand ave, they're not really the best blocks to walk on at night but if u have experience being in the hood its not that serious. but washington ave has been on the upswing. new cafes and stuff. u can obviously see the signs of gentrification. there's a really good liquor store on washington and is it lincoln or st johns? somebody correct me. but it has really good deals lol.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 07-16-2008, 06:34 AM

877 posts, read 2,768,159 times
Park Place and Washington is okay especially for someone young coming into the city. Their is a precint over there but I can't confirm that it is on that corner since I don't pay too much attention to what block I am actually on, just where I'm going. As Seventh said there is also a liquor store there, actually there are 2 decent ones on Washington in that area, and one of them is one of the few liquor stores that sell Barcelo in the area (I always have a hard time finding that unless you are in a Dominican area). It is basically the center of Prospect Heights nightlife as the restaurants and bars are basically at the edge of Crown Heights on Franklin Ave and then in Prospect Heights on Washington Ave, Underhill, Vanderbilit and of course Flatbush. Great places to hang out without an overwhelming amount of places that make the area congested. Not a very large neighborhood by Brooklyn standards but one of my favorites. There is crime there but not an overwhelming amount and nothing to be concerned about. A lot of new Brooklynites move into that area due to it's proximity to the Brooklyn Museum, Botanical Garden, Brooklyn Library, Prospect Park and the easy access to the surrounding areas (Park Slope, Clinton Hill, Fort Greene). From where you mentioned, transportation is fairly easy as you can catch the 2,3,4,5 on Franklin Avenue or the Q at Seventh Avenue and if you are a walker, the Atlantic Avenue Station is not too far away or you can catch the bus that will take you there in about 5-10 minutes (depending on traffic). Also, the area appears to be diversifying at a brisk pace.

I can't tell you too much about Sunset Park but from the times I have been there, the apartments appear to be a nice size and there appears to be a lot of things to do depending on where you are located. I is a heavily hispanic area so you would have to appreciate that to get the full flavor of the neighborhood. Also Brooklyn's Chinatown is located in Sunset Park so you have that plus.

In summary, both neighborhoods are pretty good to live in but they have 2 different flavors so pick your flavor and enjoy.

Old 07-16-2008, 11:07 AM

What kind of liquor is "barcelo"? Im excited to go check the area out thank both of you for all the info.

Here are some pictures i found:

Washington Avenue, Prospect Heights - Brooklyn, NY : citynoise.org

I also see an ethnic barbershop there which is a plus for me!!!

Old 07-16-2008, 12:50 PM

1,121 posts, read 6,553,243 times
Rum

Old 07-16-2008, 05:16 PM

423 posts, read 1,280,885 times
I live in Sunset Park and its often overlooked by yuppies or hipsters despite the fact it's right next to Park Slope (although I have noticed more recently). It's a safe neighborhood and you got the R or the D running through it.

Plus, the hispanic mamis are bangin!

Old 07-16-2008, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andez View Post
I live in Sunset Park and its often overlooked by yuppies or hipsters despite the fact it's right next to Park Slope (although I have noticed more recently). It's a safe neighborhood and you got the R or the D running through it.

Plus, the hispanic mamis are bangin!

Im glad its overlooked by yuppies and hipsters thats even better!!!!!!!!!!!!and the hispanic mamis are bangin thats whats good i love me some latin woman hahaha where does the R and the D trains go???How far is sunset park away from midtown???

Old 07-16-2008, 06:03 PM

If i do decide to move to Sunset park i dont want to live in chinatown!....how is 5th ave in Sunset andez??I want to know this cause' i want to be in a place with good subway transportation

Old 07-16-2008, 06:12 PM

1,915 posts, read 7,984,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90'sHip_Hop_Head View Post
Im glad its overlooked by yuppies and hipsters thats even better!!!!!!!!!!!!and the hispanic mamis are bangin thats whats good i love me some latin woman hahaha where does the R and the D trains go???How far is sunset park away from midtown???
R/D can take you straight to midtown. I'd say about 30 minutes.

Old 07-16-2008, 06:18 PM

Thats what im talking about!!!...so if i wanted to go to queens or the bronx i would just have to transfer from the R and D trains???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City