U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 05:16 PM

3,353 posts, read 3,854,483 times

Advertisements

Hi guys,

Thinking of heading back to NYC if I get this new job (job is full time telecommute), but this time Brooklyn.

I don't need to be in the most exciting area, am not a hipster, but like some grit and want out of North Carolina.

I don't want to move to Bensonhurst, I had enough of that growing up in northern NJ. Much more likely to be into Bed Stuy.

I'm 40 so no hipster, though I don't mind living among the hipsters...I guess...though Williamsburg probably isn't for me either...

I heard Midwood is boring (except for DiFara's) but I don't think I mind boring, because it'll still be more interesting than where I am.

Would like to keep rent at under $1200 per month if I sell my car....under $1000 if I keep it.

Is this possible?

I admit if I were made of money I'd choose DUMBO...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2008, 06:18 PM

215 posts, read 698,190 times
You might be into Bed Stuy??? Do you hate yourself?

Look into Bay Ridge in Brooklyn. I've said it before and I'll say it again... If I moved back to NYC I would move right back to Bay Ridge.

Bay Ridge - Google Search

Old 08-02-2008, 06:35 PM

10,622 posts, read 20,755,039 times
to the OP - when were you last in Bed-stuy and why do you say you might be into it? It's not the place I would choose if that were my budget. I would choose Bay Ridge or possibly Ditmas Park.

Old 08-02-2008, 08:36 PM

3,353 posts, read 3,854,483 times
Yup that's why I posted...I haven't been there in a very long time, heh

I'll check into Bay Ridge.

I like the architecture in Bed Stuy...and the prices...but want safety as well!

Old 08-02-2008, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorp200 View Post
Yup that's why I posted...I haven't been there in a very long time, heh

I'll check into Bay Ridge.

I like the architecture in Bed Stuy...and the prices...but want safety as well!
Then you don't want Bed Stuy,

Old 08-03-2008, 08:23 AM

19,175 posts, read 32,719,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANAPA View Post
Then you don't want Bed Stuy,
not every part of bed-stuy is bad....i take you've been around the entire neighborhood to make a comment like that...as a matter of fact, every neighborhood in nyc has a good part and a bad part. i've never been in a neighborhood where it was completely 100% bad. i can show you the good part of brownsville. bet you didnt even know brownsville had a good part.

to the OP: having a car in brooklyn is going to be a pain in the neck, with alternate side of the street parking, you might as well get rid of it, and then your options increase because then you'll be able to afford more rent.

some places i'd advise you to look in brooklyn are:
foster avenue (from east 16th street to coney island avenue)
cortelyou road (from east 16th street to coney island avenue)
newkirk avenue (from east 16th street to coney island avenue)
kensington section of brooklyn
flatbush avenue from avenue L to avenue U
kings highway around the Q train station
sheepshead bay

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 08-03-2008, 11:00 PM

Stay out of bed sty. You shouldn't have to look for the few blocks where you'll be safe.

All neighborhoods do not have bad areas in them. Bay Ridge, Dyker Heights, and Morris Park do not have bad areas. The upper West and the Upper East side do not have bad areaa. The West village does not have a bad area.

Old 08-03-2008, 11:42 PM

30 posts, read 73,645 times
Bed sty is becoming hip. It's the next gentrification target. Might not be a bad idea to get in early. Look to where the artists are moving. The money men always follow.

Greenpoint is a nice place...if you can manage to not think about the ginormous oil spill. It is also being hipsterified like Williamsburg but not quite to the same degree yet and still has a bit of grit and prices a bit lower than Williamsburg. Convenient to Manhattan, too.

You might also want to look into Long Island City, Queens - right on the East River immediately north of Brooklyn.

Old 08-15-2008, 02:19 PM

197 posts, read 785,242 times
Bay Ridge is not as close to the city as other Brooklyn areas the R train is quite slow

Old 08-15-2008, 02:25 PM

19,175 posts, read 32,719,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANAPA View Post
Stay out of bed sty. You shouldn't have to look for the few blocks where you'll be safe.

All neighborhoods do not have bad areas in them. Bay Ridge, Dyker Heights, and Morris Park do not have bad areas. The upper West and the Upper East side do not have bad areaa. The West village does not have a bad area.
every neighborhood has a part that less desirable. i understand your bias because you lived in bay ridge and you have your loyalty, but lets just face facts.

and this guy wants to pay 1000-1200 a month in rent, so keep the west village, upper west side, and upper east side out of it.
also he wants brooklyn, so omit morris park.
feel free to advise him on dyker heights and bay ridge, pros and cons.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City