U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 06:56 AM

1,867 posts, read 3,599,299 times

Advertisements

That is nice of you to post the info 7thfloor .

Back in 1992 I got a rent stabilized apartment for $428 per month on E 14th St and Avenue A. I paid the "broker" (who was really the building owner) a $1,000 fee. Best money I ever spent. I lived there for 10 years, and when I left about 10 years ago the rent was only $520. Sometimes it still works out in your favor, over the long term, to pay a broker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2010, 12:39 PM

5 posts, read 12,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
thats the kind of attitude that will have people like you paying "market rate"....gotta have some persistence, since they're not easy to come by!
You're both right. But sometimes even persistence won't allow you to find something successfully within the amount of time you have.

Old 01-28-2010, 01:07 PM

4,502 posts, read 11,662,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
thats the kind of attitude that will have people like you paying "market rate"....gotta have some persistence, since they're not easy to come by!

You're 100% right... you have to do the footwork to get what you want.

The only other thing I wonder about is, I used to hear about the unwritten rule of the "super fee". It's supposed to be if the super gets you into a rent stabilized/controlled place, it could be a 5K under the table "tip". Not sure if this holds true anymore.

Old 01-28-2010, 05:55 PM

217 posts, read 572,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
You're 100% right... you have to do the footwork to get what you want.

The only other thing I wonder about is, I used to hear about the unwritten rule of the "super fee". It's supposed to be if the super gets you into a rent stabilized/controlled place, it could be a 5K under the table "tip". Not sure if this holds true anymore.

And a yet another argument in favor of abolishing NYC rent stabilization in particular and all rent control laws in general. Black market, corruption and racketeering are the minor consequences of the laws that are passed by politicians who flunked out of their Econ 101 class. The major consequence was turning most of NYC into a cockroach infested rathole abandoned by the middle class.

Old 01-29-2010, 01:51 AM

64,675 posts, read 66,158,228 times
the truth is the magic of lower rents with a rent stabilized apartment no longer exists for most apartments for new tenants. by now the rents for new tenants are close to real world after the apartments changed hands a few times .

not only that but while rents on non stabilized apartments are holding steady or decreasing the rents on stabilized apartments are still increasing.

even in this crappy economic times we just got an increase...

anyone thinking that finding a stabilized apartment means lower rent for themselves going forward missed the boat long ago when the rent increases were puny and not real world. they were political ploys to win votes and those puny increases are what set landlords behind the eight ball. those days are gone.

the typical 3% increases you get now is the same as the average non stabilized and most decent apartments are now at market rate when you move in.

Last edited by mathjak107; 01-29-2010 at 02:49 AM..

Old 01-29-2010, 11:50 AM

214 posts, read 528,993 times
Exately mathjak107. The rent on my rent stablized apartment has been increasing every year and is now at (and maybe slightly above) market rate for my area of Bushwick.

But that's still a great method to help people who have time to do the footwork to find the gem. Thanks for the posting Seventh!

Old 01-29-2010, 01:23 PM

64,675 posts, read 66,158,228 times
There are really no gems left.. anyone moving in today will be pretty much at todays rate with normal real world increases...

for paying below market rate that ship sailed years ago for any new tenants

Old 01-29-2010, 02:24 PM

8,219 posts, read 8,504,500 times
Wow, I never new that existed.

Old 01-29-2010, 05:36 PM

19,161 posts, read 32,695,448 times
more gems:

New York State Division of Housing and Community Renewal - DHCR

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City