U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-04-2008, 01:26 PM
 
33 posts, read 26,108 times
Reputation: 19

Advertisements

Lol..you wish you were a gay men that moved to Harlem 20 years..I get what you mean but it sounds strange. The openly discriminatory police was finally changed (they were sued) in 1979...which is really not that long ago at all..quite sad.

As a longtime resident I am equally surprised at the number of whites that are moving to the area, and up to Concourse and Melrose, as growing up I literally never had any exposure to whites...as in zero. I find it strange to see them around, but when I bring it up to the old timers who have been here since the 50's, they tell me how when they came here it was 100% white, predominantly Jewish, and they were the first people of color on the block..and the turmoil they went through as a result of it. The old timers are not finding it odd that whites are coming back....they are more of the mindset of "what took them so long" or "they should not have left in the first place" while the youth, who have led very isolated lives in these areas, are the ones with a more narrow viewpoint, and really are confused as to "why they are here" and "what is going on."

The whole dynamic of what is going on is really fascinating to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-04-2008, 05:11 PM
 
348 posts, read 1,109,823 times
Reputation: 94
It is only a matter of time, in my opinion.

Ok and just to clarify my comment in case others are like "what is she talking about" - back in the 80's and 90's (when I first arrived in NYC), the only whites that seemed to be moving up to Harlem were gay men. Women (either on their own or even as part of a couple) were too scared sh*tless to do it. So it was a few gay couples (I knew several) who went up, bought old brownstones (some with breathtaking architectural detail) for next to nothing, spent years renovating, and ended up with fabulous homes worth well over a million bucks. It pays to be a pioneer!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2008, 05:33 PM
 
33 posts, read 26,108 times
Reputation: 19
Yeah I get what you mean..it just sounds funny. But yes..it is only a matter of time..and short time to be exact..as the number of different people showing up in the area is increasing...every day there are literally new faces....very interesting stuff happening here...despite all the hype about the lull in RE....around the South Bronx...it is business as usual and the demand for rentals and sales continues....development is going at breackneck speed actually....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2008, 06:23 PM
 
169 posts, read 372,722 times
Reputation: 66
um.... I don't know about mott haven too much but i live on 167 off concourse, am there frequently, and can tell you that there are zero whites that live on my block. May u guys are getting confused with the yankees fans lol? Maybe the change is happening in some parts but aside from some street improvements, you guys really are hypnotized if u think the blankito is movin to concourse. Perhaps a few have moved in but look at the census n it shows the opposite is true for up to 2007, and if you actually walk on the street you'll find no change in the demographic.

Last edited by jackson92186; 08-04-2008 at 06:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2008, 06:40 PM
 
Location: Bay Ridge, NY
1,915 posts, read 7,130,491 times
Reputation: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackson92186 View Post
um.... I don't know about mott haven too much but i live on 167 off concourse, am there frequently, and can tell you that there are zero whites that live on my block. May u guys are getting confused with the yankees fans lol? Maybe the change is happening in some parts but aside from some street improvements, you guys really are hypnotized if u think the blankito is movin to concourse. Perhaps a few have moved in but look at the census n it shows the opposite is true for up to 2007, and if you actually walk on the street you'll find no change in the demographic.
lol.. I have to admit, I've been on 167th and Walton, because a friend lives there, and in that whole area between the 4 and the D, I've been the only white person!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2008, 06:44 PM
 
Location: Bedford Park, Bronx
318 posts, read 976,929 times
Reputation: 63
I like the Port Morris area, but will also check out the Longwood section. Last time I went to the S. BX, we had a car (don't anymore). Hypnotizedd, what subway goes close to there, and what are the boundaries? Is it a pretty quick walk from stores at Port Morris?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2008, 07:06 PM
 
348 posts, read 1,109,823 times
Reputation: 94
Jackson: The blankito"? Is that another term for what Scatman calls "whitey"? Terms of endearment, I know.

What Hypnotizedd and I were referring to actually was Mott Haven, specifically. Quite a few actually. And yes, probably the caucasian population on the days we were in the Yankee Stadium area (and the day before when I was there on my own) was obviously due to the games. However, when I was there on my own, there were a few here and there the more you went below 167th . On Saturday, I walked from Fordham and the Grand Concourse to 149th and, yeah, I...uhh...stood out. Big time. With regard to Melrose and Longwood, I also didn't see as many "gringos" (that's the term I am familiar with ) as there were in Mott Haven or Parkchester.

Being a local, what are your thoughts and opinions about what is going on (or not) in the South Bronx?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2008, 08:21 PM
 
Location: No Sleep Til Brooklyn
1,413 posts, read 4,674,469 times
Reputation: 591
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCwoman View Post
It is only a matter of time, in my opinion.

Ok and just to clarify my comment in case others are like "what is she talking about" - back in the 80's and 90's (when I first arrived in NYC), the only whites that seemed to be moving up to Harlem were gay men. Women (either on their own or even as part of a couple) were too scared sh*tless to do it. So it was a few gay couples (I knew several) who went up, bought old brownstones (some with breathtaking architectural detail) for next to nothing, spent years renovating, and ended up with fabulous homes worth well over a million bucks. It pays to be a pioneer!!
It's conventional wisdom that gay men are often among the first gentrifiers in a neighborhood because schools aren't as much of a concern. I expect that this will change as we as a society accept broader definitions of family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2008, 08:23 PM
 
Location: Bay Ridge, NY
1,915 posts, read 7,130,491 times
Reputation: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpsonDowns View Post
It's conventional wisdom that gay men are often among the first gentrifiers in a neighborhood because schools aren't as much of a concern. I expect that this will change as we as a society accept broader definitions of family.
Wait.. why wouldn't gay men be concerned about schools?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2008, 08:32 PM
 
Location: NYC
278 posts, read 1,087,042 times
Reputation: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by analyticalkeys View Post
Wait.. why wouldn't gay men be concerned about schools?
I'm gay and let me tell you, I don't find it a huge issue. Yes, I'd love to have a family but not in todays society. Maybe when we see big changes but not right now. Lets face it, the majority of gay men aren't thinking of having a family right now so they can afford to go to an area with horrible schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top