U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 07:06 PM

348 posts, read 1,109,521 times

Advertisements

Oh, come on... I admit I am new here and have just been reading all the old threads and maybe got Hustla mixed up with others like him AND I was quickly responding to a question by a commenter. Give me a break here?!?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2008, 07:54 PM

19,098 posts, read 32,666,756 times
not trying to be hard on you at all, just didn't know if you were aware!

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 08-08-2008, 10:40 PM

I am now, thanks SeventhFloor.

Old 08-09-2008, 05:27 PM

bxt - I answered your question as best I could on the Parkchester thread. Feel free to pm me if you would like more info...

Old 08-10-2008, 12:02 PM

169 posts, read 372,617 times
Quote:
I agree that as of right now the Bronx's desirability is below Manhattan and Brooklyn, however it is that current lowered status of desirability that is affording MAJOR opportunities for people to buy BEFORE all of the huge developments including retail, housing, and infrastructure are complete around 2010, and the area is thenfar more desirable and , subsequently, expensive! Affordability right now is the driving force in the Bronx, however in a short couple of years, it will be the proximity/easy commute to Manhattan, the brand new retail/housing options, AND the affordability (as compared to Manhattan) that will drive the desirability of the South Bronx, in particular, substantially higher and attractive to a whole host of people. You are beginning to see the change now even before the developments have come online. Although I agree that the last stadium did little for the immediate area, what you fail to realize is that the new stadium is only one part of the total redevelopment of the area, which includes 1 millions sf of retail at the Gateway Center (Target, Marshalls, Bed Bath & Beyond, Toys R Us, Home Depot, Applebees, etc), a new waterfont park/esplanade along the Harlem River, new infrastructure throughout the area such as lighting, sidewalks, plazas, landscaping, tree plantings, streets etc, a new Metro-North station, as well as rehabbed housing/new housing coming online. So yes a single stadium had little effect, but this is not just a stadium..it is an entire redevelopment of a huge swath of the community.
I am not failing to realize this. OK so we have a mall. Some more service jobs, great. I hope this doesn't take away customers from local businesses. I don't see why you're so excited about all the stores you mentioned, as they are really nothing special at all; just the same crap you can find in any suburb. And they do already have those stores in other areas (kingsbridge, pelham bay) and those neighborhoods have no less poverty then they did before they were built. As far as the metro north, there are metro norths in many of the bx's worst neighborhoods, so i can't expect that to have any difference. I do think the bronx is improving, but for none of the reasons you have mentioned other than housing. You want to talk some change? how about getting rid of the cross bronx expressway and reroute all those drivers from ct to jersey around the city over the tapenzee. Free up all that land for development and build some badly needed schools while helping out drivers into manhattan that really need the GWB for commuting.

Yesterday i took a long ass walk all through the bx (going to cratona to the GHI classic, my metro was out) and I saw absolutely no difference from the same walk ten years ago, other than a new wendy's on thrid ave next to the cross bronx. Its still mad ghetto. The changes you speak of haven't taken place anywhere i've seen, granted I haven't been in mott haven since last summer. I am curious why you sound so excited that the bronx will become expensive. I don't understand why you think this is going to happen first of all, and why you would want to happen, because if it does, this will no longer be a city immigrants can afford to come to, which is an important source of our workforce for our entire national economy. And your last statement was completely false. The development taking place in my neighborhood (which is not like mott haven, which is succumbing to natrual market forces) is on the other side of a long ass walk over the major deegan. 27 acres of park were removed from a centrally located place right in the middle of the neighborhood. Let me ask you, would you rather live across the st from a stadium or a park? That will go a long way to keep property values low. It is not redevelopment of a large swath of the community by any means. The street improvements are nice but are superficial; I don't see why this money was not invested into the schools.

Last edited by jackson92186; 08-10-2008 at 12:46 PM..

Old 08-20-2008, 07:22 PM

127 posts, read 494,775 times
There is demand for all those retail stores in the South Bronx and Harlem. My family and I travel to Paramus, NJ because its easier than shopping in Manhattan. I can't wait to have all those stores just a few blocks away. These stores will also be a source of new jobs for the community.

I doubt that small stores will be affected in the area. All we have are bodegas, supermarkets, dry cleaners, barber shops, and beauty salons. There are very few hardware stores and clothing stores. Restaurants should not be affected by national restaurant chains, since we've always had the option of going to an Applebees over the local diner/restaurant. The same can be said of clothing stores.

I can't wait to take a stroll on the promenade. Maybe I'll fall in love. Hahaha! After this mega redevelopment project the City is setting sites on the other side of the 149th St., on the Grand Concourse area between 138th st & 149th st. There is plan to rezone the area into a mixed residential/commercial/industrial area with a park including an extension of the future esplanade/waterfront park currently in the works at Gateway Mall vicinity.

Old 08-21-2008, 08:22 AM

173 posts, read 144,497 times
Jackson..I think you misunderstanding everything I say. Do I believe the Bronx is gonna turn into the Upper East Side? Nope...and nobody with a 1/10 of a brain believes that. Do I believe any of these developments, intiiatives, investments, greening, etc will free the Bronx of poverty and turn it into an oasis. Nope....and nobody asserts that is the purpose of these developments. What I am saying is that these are all steps to make the Bronx better and to bring in/sustain a new working/middle class population, which is what WILL help the borough. Adding big box retailers is no bid deal to you, or a huge new supermarket, but what you are forgetting is that these areas have lacked many basic amenities for 30+ years...so although its no big deal for you, or is commonplace in the suburbs, it is a big deal for those who live there, and those who will live there. Does it cure poverty? Nope.....but it is a step in the right direction. And I do not doubt that you walk down the same streets and see "it is still mad ghetto." But you have to also change your perception to see what else is happening..it's easy to see the abandoned car on the street but not the 8 new 3 family homes behind it. It is easy to see the graffitti on buildings but not the row of new trees on the block. It is easy to see the ghetto kids hanging out in front of the bodega, but not the new middle class families going to work from their new condo 1 block down. There are no easy answers here, and much has stayed the same, but the changes are happening and making a difference. You can choose to believe everything that happens is pointless, or you can help be a part of the change and help the borough move forward.

Old 08-21-2008, 09:22 AM

169 posts, read 372,617 times
first off, which amenities do we lack for 30+ years? secondly, you're saying i should change my perception so I imagine 8 new 3 family houses and new trees? Cuz those were not on any of the blocks i was on. I know there's new development (in other neighborhoods, like maybe yours, but on the route to cratona, which is what i was talking about). Although I did see some of the rust and falling bricks from some of these "working-class" three family's that were constructed a mere ten years ago. And there's no new condo one block down from where i was, so how could i notice the working family that lives in them?
So if my choice is to go with the status quo and champion new developments like yankee stadium and countless streetscape improvements, or be objectional, and say no, we should use that money for our overcrowded schools, to bring the second ave subway up third ave to encourage a huge swath of new development along an underdeveloped corridor and bring tens of thousands of new units onto the market, I am going to stick with the latter. I live across the street from mullaly park. Its extremely crowded at all times; during the weekends you'd think its practically a fire hazard given how many people cram into that park. This was not the case two years ago, when the park was twice as large. We've got some new parks, now a mile away from its current location, not located around any neighborhood but across the major deeg. I'm sorry, but nothing is going to convince me this was a wise development. It might be a facelift, but facelifts don't address the ills that lie within.

Old 08-21-2008, 10:01 AM

173 posts, read 144,497 times
Well let me address some of your statements here. You do not believe the entire redevelopment of the Yankee Stadium zone, including the new stadium, new Gateway Center mall, new waterfront park, new lighting, streets, plazas, greening, Metro_north station were a wise investment. What was the alternative by the way? It was doing nothing at all..which means the area would continue to decay. How is that beneficial to anyone besides the pimps, drug dealers, and criminals? You claim dumping more money into the black hole that is our school system is the solution? The schools already have the most money per student than anywhere else in the country...money is not the problem here. Restructuring the school system, getting rid of the waste and beauracracy, and changing the role it plays as just passing kids through to get them out, are what needs to change..none of which costs a dime. I am all for the second avenue subway line, metro-north stations etc...that we agree on. And I do not doubt that the specific blocks you walked on looked bad, or did not have the changes that I am referring to....but you are missing the point. The changes are happening, and the problems will not disappear over night..but they will get better thanks to the investment in the community. Regarding your issue with the parks....lets get real here. The Bronx has the most parkland of any borough....25% of the Bronx's landmass is dedicated to parks to be exact....so there is plenty around. Yes you lost SOME parkland, but you are also GAINING ALOT MORE, and you still can access via public transportation all the great parks of the borough AND the city. I don't feel bad that you have to take a train to go to a large park....so what! Most people do in this city! You think most of Manhattan lives within a 10 block radius of Central park? Nope..they gotta take a train too..and don't complain about it. The lack of parkland in the area is a joke...you do have parkland and you are getting a brand new waterfront that was not accessible before! What ailes the community was not lack of parkland...the entire redevelopment of the area will help alot more than just doing nothing and dumping more wasted money into a broken school system.

Old 08-21-2008, 03:10 PM

731 posts, read 1,789,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MottHavenDude View Post
Jackson..I think you misunderstanding everything I say. Do I believe the Bronx is gonna turn into the Upper East Side? Nope...and nobody with a 1/10 of a brain believes that. Do I believe any of these developments, intiiatives, investments, greening, etc will free the Bronx of poverty and turn it into an oasis. Nope....and nobody asserts that is the purpose of these developments. What I am saying is that these are all steps to make the Bronx better and to bring in/sustain a new working/middle class population, which is what WILL help the borough. Adding big box retailers is no bid deal to you, or a huge new supermarket, but what you are forgetting is that these areas have lacked many basic amenities for 30+ years...so although its no big deal for you, or is commonplace in the suburbs, it is a big deal for those who live there, and those who will live there. Does it cure poverty? Nope.....but it is a step in the right direction. And I do not doubt that you walk down the same streets and see "it is still mad ghetto." But you have to also change your perception to see what else is happening..it's easy to see the abandoned car on the street but not the 8 new 3 family homes behind it. It is easy to see the graffitti on buildings but not the row of new trees on the block. It is easy to see the ghetto kids hanging out in front of the bodega, but not the new middle class families going to work from their new condo 1 block down. There are no easy answers here, and much has stayed the same, but the changes are happening and making a difference. You can choose to believe everything that happens is pointless, or you can help be a part of the change and help the borough move forward.
I have to agree with you strongly. The new development will not pull the Bronx out of poverty, but it would give its residents an increased sense of optimism. This can result in more families staying in the borough for the love of it, not because of money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or