U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 02:23 PM

348 posts, read 1,110,026 times

Advertisements

Whatever you want to call the area, there is just so much happening that, frankly I am stunned.

A HUGE thank you to Mott Haven Guy for meeting me earlier today and showing me around. Two things I am struck by: a) how much of the old stock of buildings (of all different types of architecture - much of it gorgeous) is still left and b) how much development is going on!

Whatever we are calling our Mott Haven Guy these days, one thing is for sure - the stuff he's been saying about the area is not only right on, but from my perspective - almost conservative!! Is there a lot of work still to be done? Absolutely, but again - I am flabbergasted by what I witnessed in the last couple of hours. First of all, because of the huge disconnect between the rep of the Bronx and the reality of it - I was nervous about getting off the subway in Mott Haven (and I live in the Bronx!). Not one place felt sketchy to me - at all. (I did have that feeling yesterday walking down the Grand Concourse in the 170's and 180's but not here.)

A few observations:

1) Mott Haven - reminds me of what Williamsburg used to look like in the mid 90's (I lived there for a while during that time). I prefer more traditional pre-war buildings to live in, so warehouse living is not for me, but I can totally see why the artists are flocking there. Walked around a bit, had a drink at the famous Bruckner Bar & Grill (2 drinks for nine bucks - I can't remember the last time I had a $4.50 drink). Really great vibe! Saw the hip-looking sushi bar and a really cool little cafe (again, exactly like the hip cafes that are ubiquitous now in Williamsburg). The Antique District was there and I can't wait to go back when they are open. Such a cool, hip place waiting to be "discovered".

2) Melrose - reminds me completely of the Lower East Side with it's mixture of old, urban and gritty tenement style housing mixed with brand spanking new developement going on ALL OVER THE PLACE. Now I knew about the Orion and the Aurora, but the whole place has been developing for the last 15 years according to Guy. He explained that this is being done by the City and not developers, so it is not a speculative, risky boom that is going on - this is a total and complete investment in the area and a rebuilding of the community. It is truly unbelievable.

3) Longwood - the historic section of Hunts Point - What I wouldn't give to be able to afford purchasing and rehabbing one of these gorgeous brownstones (which you have to see to believe how unique and gorgeous they are - and in the South Bronx?!?! Shut up!!)

4) My favorite area so far (for my own personal investing purposes) - Concourse (Yankee Stadium area). You don't have to be visionary or a pioneer here. This is an absolute no-brainer that this is going to be the place to be! So much going on plus an infrastructure already in place because of, well...Yankee Stadium and all the tourists coming in. Gateway Plaza (?) is almost complete, as is the Riverfront promenade area (which, unfortunately, is blocked off so we couldn't see it), new sidewalks and lighting and landscaping....

Guy, if I have forgotten anything or misrepresented everything (it was a lot of stuff to absorb in only a few hours), please feel free to chime in.

People really need to wake up and realize that this isn't the same South Bronx as it has been in our collective minds for 3 decades. This is someplace so opposite from what was in my imagination that I am still, again - simply stunned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2008, 04:16 PM

3,012 posts, read 5,173,877 times
I want the hub to thrive more and really transform into a "downtown" for the bronx. Those neighborhoods u mentioned are really getting the gears moving for change in the bronx

Old 08-03-2008, 04:40 PM

278 posts, read 1,087,217 times
Where is that Mott Haven Guy? I haven't seen him posting in a while.

Old 08-03-2008, 08:11 PM

33 posts, read 26,126 times
I am here! Thanks for the kind words NYCwoman...we had a great time and it was a pleasure showing you around my 'hood.

If anyone else would like to venture to the area of Mott Haven, Port Morris, Concourse, Longwood to see the massive changes occuring in the South Bronx...just msg me..I would be happy to show you around...but you may have to buy me a beer!

Regarding the Hub, I agree that it really needs to transform into a better destination...as it stands right now it is dreary, the shopping is primarily targeted to the poor. However, they have been changing the Hub's image as of late..as there is now a new 9 West, Forman Mills, Staples, Rite Aid, Sleepy's and GNC in the northern Tip of the Hub. The entire place though needs a massive makeover..I suspect after all the new developments are complete and online in 2010, look for a makeover of the Hub...just a hunch.

Old 08-03-2008, 09:16 PM

10,622 posts, read 20,755,039 times
Sounds like a fun tour.

When I was looking at coops in late 2005 I went to a bldg on Walton Ave near Grand Concourse (near Yankee Stadium and next to a small park from what I remember). I did think it seemed like a good area to buy in, though I ended up in Queens instead.

Old 08-03-2008, 10:19 PM

644 posts, read 1,729,919 times
I walked by Kilmer Park today after the Yankee Game. I was hungry and didn't want to wait until I got home so I ate in the area and checked out the park, it was brimming with families from the neighborhood and it looked very nice. I also noticed that there weren't that many if any pigeons. (maybe it was just that time).

Old 08-04-2008, 07:33 AM

Yeah when we were walking around Yankee stadium yesterday there was a game going on and there were throngs of people from literally all over the world...a variety of accents/languages...really cool.

They have already completed alot of the landscaping, new lighting, sidewalks, and plazas around the Grand Concourse by Yankee Stadium and it all looks very fresh, clean, and inviting..with some cool skateboarders showing their skills and throngs of people (including us) admiring the changes.

Old 08-04-2008, 08:23 AM

644 posts, read 1,729,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypnotizedd View Post
Yeah when we were walking around Yankee stadium yesterday there was a game going on and there were throngs of people from literally all over the world...a variety of accents/languages...really cool.

They have already completed alot of the landscaping, new lighting, sidewalks, and plazas around the Grand Concourse by Yankee Stadium and it all looks very fresh, clean, and inviting..with some cool skateboarders showing their skills and throngs of people (including us) admiring the changes.

They did a nice job on the plaza. It's also bustling with skateboarders now.

Old 08-04-2008, 11:52 AM

Yeah I agree...there is such a different vibe there now..the whole area feels really alive and almost organic and vibrant the way things are changing..and most of the new development is not even online yet!

I found it particularly funny that NYCwoman, who lives in Parkchester, had to come to the South Bronx to see white people...how things have changed!

Old 08-04-2008, 01:17 PM

348 posts, read 1,110,026 times
Yes, it is terribly ironic, isn’t it. Although there are more and more whites moving every month into Parkchester – this has only been happening lately. For those who are not aware of the history, this complex used to have a discriminatory “whites only” policy for much of its early life. They were of course sued and that ended and it became a truly integrated community. However, the complex went into a severe decline (in lock step with the rest of the Bronx) and a good majority of white residents left.

It is probably not PC to say this, but I was very surprised to see so many whites in Mott Haven -only because I had a such an incorrect image of the area in my head. After walking around the area and seeing what it had to offer, I thought: of course the artists and others attracted to this type of artist enclave would end up here. If I were younger, hipper and edgier – I would LOVE to be in at the beginning in a place like this. Just like I wish I was one of the pioneering gay men who bravely ventured into Harlem 20 years ago and started renovating! Some of those guys are not only have bragging rights that they had the necessary vision and courage, but many are sitting on small fortunes today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or