U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2011, 05:02 PM

3 posts, read 4,649 times

Advertisements

yes should go on FLB 76 SUCKS!
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2011, 07:20 PM

32,044 posts, read 32,802,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhf1979 View Post
I'd love to have a Subway extensions on all four major east-west streets in Queens. The Seven train on Northern Blvd, The R on Union Turnpike, The F on Hillside, The E or J on Jamaica Avenue.
The R used to go all the way to Union Turnpike.

Old 11-20-2011, 05:38 AM

91 posts, read 180,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Many cities and regions went with light rail only because they never had subways in the first place. Light rail isn't necessarily the way to go, although it is less expensive to construct than a subway (or "heavy rail").

Of the current proposals for light rail lines within New York City, the one I'd like to see most is a line using the old freight cut that slices across Brooklyn. There would be quite a few connections to existing subway lines. Also the proposed light rail line to replace the Gowanus Expressway.

Regarding the old freight cut that slices across Brooklyn, is it the one that runs from Fresh Pond Yard to the Sea Beach line at New Utrecht Ave via Broadway Junction / LIRR East NY? If so, couldn't light rail run along that line up to Jackson Heights- Roosevelt to provide another north-south connection between Brooklyn and Queens. Somewhere along the way freight traffic has to pick up enough traffic to preclude using the line for transit. Otherwise, it could run all the way to Harlem and the Bronx.

Old 11-20-2011, 12:32 PM

12,381 posts, read 23,300,131 times
I like this plan....

Expanding Transit Access to Southeast Queens The Transport Politic

Old 11-20-2011, 06:50 PM

3,853 posts, read 7,599,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolguyfromQueens View Post
There should be a subway train running through Frances lewis boulevard it would make traveling easy for us that dont have a car in northern eastern part of queens

lots of my neighbors around here dont have a car and tired of 35 minute trip to flushing iv been living her for about 2 years and like this area alot and dont want to move out
The Q76 doesn't have high enough ridership to justify a subway line running along Francis Lewis Blvd. Admittedly, if the areas in that corridor were in other cities, they might have subway service because those cities are more spread out, so the Francis Lewis Blvd corridor would seem relatively dense, but being in NYC, that's not likely to happen.

They should try and find ways to speed up the Q76 (and Q77) instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolguyfromQueens View Post
well the street is noisy enough and a big street that is so they wouldnt have trouble putting it under ground so not to much to worry about NIMBYism [ also instead of wasting money on the T train for no reason when you have 3 to 4 different lines going across Manhattan when they can use that money for the outer boroughs especially northern eastern part of QUEENS! thats all i got to say the city is getting ****ed up especially on the taxes whats happening to this city man . "hope for the better"
The T isn't a waste. The Lexington Avenue Line is the most overcrowded line in the country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Did I forget the other subway proposal involving Queens? The J line was supposed to be extended past Jamaica, picking up the old Long Island Railroad tracks to Rosedale. (That's why the new Archer Avenue subway was built, in the first place!) I believe this proposal is still floating around someplace, but at present there's no way to know if it will ever actually be built.
I've heard of that proposal. In that case, why does the (J) go on the lower level of Jamaica Center? It would make it harder to bring it back up to the level of the LIRR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
The R used to go all the way to Union Turnpike.
He means the line would go along Union Turnpike.

And the (R) used to travel to 179th Street during rush hours, and the (F) was express between Forest Hills and 179th Street. Either because people at the local stops complained or because of budget issues, the (F) was made local and the (R) was cut back to Forest Hills.

Old 11-20-2011, 10:36 PM

4,841 posts, read 8,193,084 times
Hell no, if that happens, Bayside and Whitestone will turn into dumps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysocks View Post
By the way the 76 does suck.
I wish it still ran on Saturdays. I use to take to to hang out with friends alll the time.

Old 11-21-2011, 03:39 PM

3 posts, read 4,649 times
More 76 Work and Service needed, bus is ***** crowded after school, and theyre so old they break down all the time and we get stuck in the road. SUBWAY PLEASE or GIVE US MORE BUSSSES!

Old 12-20-2014, 05:56 PM

1 posts, read 1,042 times
The montauk branch should be turned into a subway all the way to southeast queens.. The rockaway branch from rego park to aqueduct should be activated and reconnected to the A train ..the 7 train extended to bayside... A subway under the LIE all the way to the Nassau border was proposed and never built...the F train should have been extended to the border..our stupid country gives away billions to foreign countries when we should be using the money for building subways here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City