U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2008, 11:17 AM

2 posts, read 11,161 times

Advertisements

Hi i live in Omaha Nebraska and want to live in one of the 3 big cities but dont know which one? Anyway i am a colleage student grad and is looking for a permanent job and life in these cities. My master is City planner/Urban developer.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2008, 11:59 AM

1,990 posts, read 6,555,895 times
okay..... thats it? this seems more like a statement than a question.

Old 08-04-2008, 12:20 PM

10,564 posts, read 23,733,838 times
Coming from Omaha, your least culture shock city will likely be Chicago. New York is a great, vibrant city, but it has a high cost of living and can be daunting if you are not at home with crowds, etc. Los Angeles is the most suburban of the cities, but it is sprawl central, and the traffic is no joke, not just a stereotype. Then again, if you're up for an adventure, and are realistic about the city, New York is fantastic.

Old 08-04-2008, 12:27 PM

1,362 posts, read 3,937,097 times
I'm from Omaha and my time in NYC has never been a major culture shock.

I would never live in LA again.

NYC is great but a lot of it is hype. It's horribly expensive just to live there but if you can swing it it might be worth it. I find a lot of people that move there do so just to say they live there. They never really seem to have specific reasons but more like it's the in thing to do.

I've been to Chicago the most out of those three and out of the 3 big ones I'd pick Chicago. The transit is good and it's not nearly as pricey. I find Chicago to be more what NYC was like 20-30 years ago when it lived up to the hype.

Old 08-04-2008, 12:29 PM

3,012 posts, read 4,851,424 times
im curious, what exactly is this "hype?" u talk of

Old 08-04-2008, 12:37 PM

18 posts, read 75,773 times
chicago-most down to earth
l.a.-glitzy
nyc-most exciting

Old 08-04-2008, 12:51 PM

1,362 posts, read 3,937,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
im curious, what exactly is this "hype?" u talk of
For me it's more from an artistic/individuality point of view. NYC was a symbol of personal freedom and expression where you could be what you couldn't be anywhere else. Now those same people that made the city desirable can't afford to live there. To me it's losts some of it's originallity from everyone moving there to be a part of a scene.

It's easy to be a street performer or walk around the City in drag because there are so many other people doing the same thing. You're not really making as big a statement in NYC because everything is so accepted. There's no edge and no one to kick back against you. Great art and great people that have made a difference usually did so in the face of opposition. You're not going to get a lot of resistance or make as big a splash there IMO.

I can relate to what the original poster probably feels. We live in a uncool, unpopular metro that doesn't have the level of prestige as some other cities. A lot of local youth feel the need to escape. For a long time I did to so I went out to see what else was out there. I've found that other places didn't have the strangle hold on "cool" as it would seem. I'm content here now but I do like to get out and experience other places too.

Old 08-04-2008, 01:33 PM

40 posts, read 161,290 times
NYC = actual city
LA = giant suburb
Chicago = tiny city

Old 08-04-2008, 03:09 PM

98 posts, read 75,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridestick66 View Post
chicago-most down to earth
l.a.-glitzy
nyc-most exciting

Los Angeles is FAR from glitzy. Ew.

Chicago is boring.

Old 08-04-2008, 03:14 PM

1,915 posts, read 6,815,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTO Luv View Post
I'm from Omaha and my time in NYC has never been a major culture shock.

I would never live in LA again.

NYC is great but a lot of it is hype. It's horribly expensive just to live there but if you can swing it it might be worth it. I find a lot of people that move there do so just to say they live there. They never really seem to have specific reasons but more like it's the in thing to do.

I've been to Chicago the most out of those three and out of the 3 big ones I'd pick Chicago. The transit is good and it's not nearly as pricey. I find Chicago to be more what NYC was like 20-30 years ago when it lived up to the hype.
The transit is 25 cents cheaper, and doesn't cover as many areas as NYC, so it's not like there aren't two sides to this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City