U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2008, 12:31 PM

5,988 posts, read 14,910,835 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We (family of 4, kids 12 and 15) will be visiting NYC from Austin arriving Aug 13th leaving 21st. We'd like to have a mix of tourist and non-tourist experiences while there. We have a list of "tourist" things we think we'd like to do. We don't know what sort of non-tourist activities or things we might enjoy (just to hang out and have "down time"). Would appreciate any knowledge/advice from others.

We know we want to:
Visit Statue of Liberty
Visit Central Park
Visit the Dakota
Walk across the Brooklyn bridge
See a play (Lion King)
Visit the Metropolitan Museum and others
See Time Square
Visit Greenwich Village
See the Empire State Building
Visit Ground Zero
See a Yankees game

Is this list possible in 7 days? What would you ad or remove or change?

Where would you recommend staying that is modestly priced?

Thanks for any help or info.

Steve
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2008, 12:38 PM

12,120 posts, read 27,537,106 times
you've got 11 things you wanted to cover in 7 days so you'd have to hit between one and two per day to cover all of them

The Yankees game and the play are time-fixed, assuming you'd stay for their duration, so you may want to get those done early or first so you cen be more leisurely about the others

My brother stayed at the renovated Belvedere Hotel on 319 W 48th street in the theater area and was very pleased. I think they had a special rate for only $99 per night. I was at the hotel and was very impressed and frankly surprised as that was a lousy area at one time (but not any more)

Old 08-04-2008, 12:46 PM

459 posts, read 1,260,489 times
Can't hlep you with where to stay, as I have never been in a hotel here.

I thik you could easily accomplish these, particularly since many of them are not going to take much of a day. Other things you might consider

Ride on the SI ferry
Ellis Island (especially if you have recent immigrant roots)
Among museums, the kids will like the Museum of Natural History best (and so might you)
Movies at Bryant Park (8/18 only)
Sounds touristy, but on a nice day or night a ride on one of the boats that circle Manhattan is lovely

Old 08-04-2008, 12:54 PM

10,750 posts, read 25,531,740 times
Modestly priced for New York. Well, there are a few places, and you would want it to be family friendly, and I am assuming in the city. What would be the rate you're looking for per night? That can help to narrow the choices.

Old 08-04-2008, 01:10 PM

5,988 posts, read 14,910,835 times
Quote:
What would be the rate you're looking for per night?
Below $300 if possible. I'd rather pay around $200/night.
I've just been doing some searches and see that prices drop considerably if we stay off Manhattan. My first thought is "Newark? - Yuck", but is transportation such that a NYC vacation doesn't necessarily require staying in the heart of Manhattan but instead, one can head out in the morning, do everything, and return at night to sleep? We typically don't hang out in our room much when on vacations.

Old 08-04-2008, 01:35 PM

40 posts, read 168,466 times
Stay in Manhattan, do yourself a favor.

For god's sake, do not stay in Newark.

Old 08-04-2008, 02:30 PM

7,079 posts, read 33,733,092 times
DO NOT stay in Newark!

Old 08-04-2008, 02:53 PM

10,750 posts, read 25,531,740 times
No to Newark as well! It's just not safe. There are some hotels in Jersey City, like the Doubletree that are convenient to Manhattan. I am just concerned with some of the hotels in the under $300/night range in the city that they would be sold out, such as the New Yorker by Madison Square Garden and the Best Western President in the theatre district. Check in Lower Manhattan at the Exchange Hotel or The Best Western Seaport Inn at the South Street Seaport. The Millenium Hilton in Lower Manhattan, adjacent to the WTC site, also might be worth a shot, since they have had decent rates lately.

Old 08-04-2008, 04:38 PM

8,900 posts, read 12,706,739 times
I've heard some tourists say they like to rent bikes and bike ride throughout Central park for an afternoon. That would take up a few hours. Also isn't all that touristy.

Old 08-04-2008, 05:12 PM

40,057 posts, read 29,718,655 times
Definitely see Coney Island--there won't be too many chances after this year, when developers are going to get their hands on it. And I personally wouldn't recommend Ground Zero; there's really not much to see, and it's practically become a tourist trap. Also, as long as you're on that ferry to the Statue of Liberty, you should stop at the Immigration Museum on Ellis Island. Absolutely fascinating!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City