U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 12:09 PM

125 posts, read 98,935 times

Advertisements

Hey Swizzel I heard about the Shelter coming to the are from BronxPride...according to him the city is going full steam ahead with the shelter. It will definitely not be a good addition to the area...next time please provide me more notice for such a meeting as I definitely want to be there. I think in a 3 block radius around me there are about 6 shelters/adult facilities....absolutely riduculous. In the future please provide these meetings on the board with at least 1 day notice if you can....together we can make a difference. NomadStephanie...the Bronx is making a valiant attempt to bring in middle class people while simultaneously keeping the lower income locals...whereas the rest of the city prides itself on exclusion unfortunately.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2008, 03:12 PM

731 posts, read 1,788,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypnotizzed View Post
Hey Swizzel I heard about the Shelter coming to the are from BronxPride...according to him the city is going full steam ahead with the shelter. It will definitely not be a good addition to the area...next time please provide me more notice for such a meeting as I definitely want to be there. I think in a 3 block radius around me there are about 6 shelters/adult facilities....absolutely riduculous. In the future please provide these meetings on the board with at least 1 day notice if you can....together we can make a difference. NomadStephanie...the Bronx is making a valiant attempt to bring in middle class people while simultaneously keeping the lower income locals...whereas the rest of the city prides itself on exclusion unfortunately.
This is going to be a smack in the face to an area that has fought so hard to erase its perception of high crime and urban decay. All the shelter's going to do is pull back an upcoming area.

Old 08-05-2008, 03:22 PM

I am not sure exactly what to say about this situation, as I only learned about it recently. However, what I can say is despite this shelter being here, the massive amount of investment/retail etc that is flooding into the area will play a much larger role in the future of the area than this shelter.

Old 08-05-2008, 03:27 PM

731 posts, read 1,788,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypnotizzed View Post
I am not sure exactly what to say about this situation, as I only learned about it recently. However, what I can say is despite this shelter being here, the massive amount of investment/retail etc that is flooding into the area will play a much larger role in the future of the area than this shelter.
I wouldn't count on that. You do not want to see homeless people in the vicinity of the mall or the stadium. Speaking of which, there has been an issue on homeless people taking up space in nearby Joyce Kilmer Park (especially on 161st St and Walton Avenue).

Old 08-05-2008, 03:32 PM

I agree however, with the amount of investment/money involved, I am confident that the powers that be will do a great job of keeping them out and allowing people to enjoy the new amenities.

Old 08-05-2008, 03:52 PM

10,750 posts, read 25,521,951 times
That's a tall order, especially long-term, since new mayoral administrations have new priorities, and budget cuts that hit shelters or the police and such might make it difficult to patrol the areas. It's not a good sign that the city is choosing to place a potential problem in an area that has had more than its share.

Much of the investment is done with tax abatement, and public funds, limiting the risk of private development interests, yet maximizing potential profits if all goes well; however, if the situation swings in the opposite direction, the sustained losses are not as significant as one would have with private development on privately-owned land. This can cause a change in focus of a project to take effect, where something that was to be tailored to the middle class is now changed to that of a subsidized housing development. Other areas have had this happen through the years, a prime example being Tracey Towers, where a development is conceived with the greatest of intentions and it cannot be sustained.

With the projects, the shelters, the generally poor health conditions (asthma being rampant), and other municipal functions such as trash facilities, this can be a tipping point that might not bring the entire project's scope and best intentions to fruition. An important factor that can help to change this, however, is neighborhood involvement and commitment to creating the safe streets that are required to upgrade the residential housing stock in a neighborhood. Active neighborhood watch committees, working with the police to patrol the areas, reporting crimes, and generally taking pride in the area are requisite for this to change. Without that, one can end up with a great new space that deteriorates into the neighborhood around it, as opposed to elevating the existing to the new standard.

Old 08-06-2008, 07:26 AM

So I was walking home from the train yesterday and when I reached my block around 6:30 I saw 2 hipsters riding skateboard on the sidewalk...we kinda looked at eachother and then we continued on our way....20 minutes later an older hipster was scouting the neighborhood on Bike. This is significant to me because I live in North Mott Haven, and this the first time I have seen them on my block, and in broad daylight no less. Dunno if they were on a reconnaisance mission, or just hanging out/seeing friends...nonetheless...it was a day to remember for me. I am sure most people cannot understand why this would be something noteworthy, but if you knew the South Bronx, you would know why it is a dramatic turn of events and indicative of major changes that are reshaping the area very quickly. BMW: I have to respectfully disagree with you, as the full projects scope is already confirmed. The new Yankee stadium IS being built, the new infrastructure is almost complete (new plazas, streets, sidewalks, landscaping, greening, lights, etc), the Gateway Center will be completed next year and they have captive tenants such as Target, Bed Bath & Beyond, Toys R Us, Marshalls, Home Depot, AppleBees, etc, and the progress on the waterfront park along the Harlem River is under construction (in fact the city/Bloomberg 1 month ago confirmed an additional 300 million, with more to come, for further beautification on the lower concourse, Melrose, Bronx Civic Center and expansion of the waterfront esplanade.) I agree that there is a history of such good intentions gone bad, just look at the housing projects. It was not a bad thing, it was the administration/management that ruined it..when they changed it from a source of working/middle class housing to a dumping ground for the city's problems...well...you know the rest of the story. As I stated in another thread, your thoughts and concerns are valid..nonetheless, you seem to be focusing on what COULD happen as opposed to what IS happening. Yes it is possible a whole host of things can happen..but the city AND the community are working hard to make sure that doesn't happen....and thusfar..that is good enough for me, as the changes are nothing short than stunning.

Last edited by hypnotizzed; 08-06-2008 at 07:38 AM..

Old 09-03-2008, 08:52 AM

444 posts, read 922,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadStephanie View Post
This is very interesting to me.

but I'm wary of the almost inevitable result of bringing wealthier people into an area, which is that people of lesser means get run out of the area.
I feel the same way. I all of the rich people or upper class people start moving in then waht will happen to the people who have less money. Housing costs will keep rising and everyone else will be pushed out or working two or three jobs just to survive.

Old 09-03-2008, 03:17 PM

40,057 posts, read 29,709,520 times
The thing is, everyone acts as though this is something new and awful. But it's been going on in this town from the day it was founded. Even if rich people (or even, God forbid, white people) start moving in, it won't be the end of the world for Mott Haven, which was founded at the beginning of the 19th century and will probably continue to survive, if not actually thrive.

Old 09-04-2008, 11:29 AM

348 posts, read 1,109,406 times
Default Mott Haven Photos

After spending a good 5 hours walking around Mott Haven last weekend, I have to say the area seems like such a great opportunity. As I've said before, it feels exactly the same to me as what Williamsburg felt like when I lived there in the nineties!

I found so much there that I devoted three entire photo-posts to MH -

Last edited by Viralmd; 09-04-2008 at 11:32 AM.. Reason: No competing sites, per TOS
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or