U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 02:21 PM

15 posts, read 11,256 times

Advertisements

I understand your point...and there are two sides to that story. I think we all know what it feels like when people march into a store and shop in the neighborhood as if they own the place-loudly and disrespectfully....it has been going on for about 30 years actually...ever since the ghetto subculture took root. It is quite common to see the ghetto folk marching around everywhere, trains, buses, restaurants, stores, etc acting like they own the place, with foul mouths to their kids/friends/anyone within eye shot, being very loud and disrespectful every chance they get...b/c that is the only way they know how to function. As for your comment about feeling like an outsider in "your" building, or that somehow the newcomers seem inexplicably afraid/disdainful, or look at you as if you don't belong there or planning to mug them is typically your perception and not reality. Although I do not doubt there are people like this, why does this bother you so much? I personally enjoy not talking to anyone in my building, as they are not my friends or family, they are people that live in my building and I have very little interest in befriending them, getting involved with their problems/drama/nonsense. If you are seeking a neighborly environment, that's great..not everyone wants it. Say hello, good morning, good evening, and 99% of the time they will say the same and life goes on. If they don't...don't take it personal and move on with your life..there are no doubt many other people you can befriend in the building. Based on your "I want to tell them about my degrees and how good of a person I am" tirade, I suspect the problem is your insecurity and not the "newcomers" you feel are anti-people of color. Eventually they will warm up...it's not on your time..it will be on their time and when they are ready...why force it or get annoyed or somehow believe it is because they despise you or people of color? This seems like a BIG stretch just because you are not getting a good morning hug every day in the lobby.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2008, 02:33 PM

456 posts, read 1,218,771 times
Hey bx718, thanks. I know what you mean by the whole benefit of the doubt thing. I wish this were the case, but nonetheless I made a promise to myself when I first moved to NYC that I wouldn't let other people's issues change me. I am naturally friendly, even though I know how to take care of myself in the big city, and when to keep my distance.

About the gallery? Hmmm... I said "African-American," even though I don't like labels, because the owners/curators have created a gallery/shop that is specifically and solely for the work of African-American artists. All the images are of African-Americans, possibly African and Afro-Caribbean people. Back in the day, we would have said Afrocentric, but I don't hear many people using that term anymore, for better or worse.

Old 09-05-2008, 02:36 PM

SouthBronxGuy, you most certainly have the right to your own perspective, but you couldn't be more off target. What you have misinterpreted as my insecurity is more along the lines of my continued dismay re the various forms of rudeness, coldness, prejudice, etc. some here seem to believe is normal. This may be your idea of normal, but it is not mine. Which explains why I am on my way back to the midwest, where friendliness is considered to be normal. Go figure... I won't take the time to argue with you. I stand by my original statements, and I am not alone in this. Peace to you.

Last edited by Indi9; 09-05-2008 at 02:51 PM..

Old 09-05-2008, 02:57 PM

348 posts, read 1,109,659 times
I am running out the door. But I just had to say - Indi9, I totally hear what you are saying as I have been witness to exactly what you are describing (not only in racially "gentrifying" areas but in many small towns in the South and even, as I said before, in a wealthy town in California, where even wealthier people move in and are the type that want to take over - to hell with every one else). (And unfortunately, it's always the loud, squeaky wheel that gets all the attention - and causes all the discomfort). And people may find this an uncomfortable topic to bring up....but I also know that there are certain types of white people who are not comfortable (unbelieveable in this day and age!) with living equally and peacefully among other races and nationalities or with those in a different economic class. I know white women who will still cross the street when they see more than one or two black men in a group ahead of them - and there are more than a few of these "types" who I know have already or are moving into Harlem! This to me is insane and a recipe for disaster. So whether it be fear, insensitivity, arrogance or just plain ignorance - they are really ill equipped to move into a historically poor and ethnic neighborhood. Others here may disagree with my assessment, but I truly feel that this is ONE of the reasons Harlem is experiencing tension right now. I think that (generally) the type of white person you see moving into the Bronx (because it is still such a "frontier") is much less uptight in this area, much more willing to want to live peacefully amongst their neighbors (of all colors and background) and become active in making their communities a better place. Anyone else have a take on this?

Just my two cents - gotta run!

Last edited by NYCwoman; 09-05-2008 at 04:29 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 09-05-2008, 02:58 PM

15 posts, read 11,256 times
There is no doubt that if you are seeking the version of friendliness in the midwest...you should not come to NYC expecting it...why would you? When you live in a city of 8 million, with 40 million tourists a year, and eveything that comes with that, it is infinitely impossible to expect the small town "friendliness" of the midwest onto this large, world class city. We have in fact some of the friendliest people in the country..and I find the friendliness in NYC to be far more genuine and satisfying than anything served up in middle America, where much of the "friendliness" is purely fodder for gossip, mainly out of sheer boredom, and saved for those who "belong." If you are in fact heading back to the midwest, it sounds like you were the "newcomer" that was making the area so "unfriendly" in fact. But that's just my perspective. Peace to you too!

Old 09-05-2008, 03:03 PM

Hey NYCWoman, thank you for your honesty and your insights. Yeah, Harlem is pretty tense right now. Maybe this will change in time, but in the meantime let's put it all out there into the light so we can be a part of the solution.

Enjoy your evening!

Old 09-05-2008, 03:08 PM

Dear SouthBronxGuy, if you only knew... Madison, Wisconsin is not a little small town in the midwest. The stereotype is unfounded, as is your assessment of me, someone you haven't even met. I have lived all over the States and traveled abroad and in the Caribbean. Not all New Yorkers are rude and angry, just as not all midwesterners are small-minded, cliquish, and gossipy. I've been reading your posts for a little while now. Sounds like you have a lot of anger about a lot of things. I won't add to your list of things to be angry about any more this evening. I really do wish you peace. Enough said.

Old 09-05-2008, 05:01 PM

I agree with your sentiments - Indi9. We are about to elect a black President of the United States (fingers crossed!!!) and yet we still have so much racial baggage buried deep down in all of our collective psyches. We DO need to have these types of healthy discussions, I agree!

Old 09-06-2008, 09:53 AM

Default SouthBronxGuy's Longwood Brownstone Photos

SouthBronxGuy, I can't remember where I posted the other MH photos on your behalf, but this is as good of a thread as any. Here are the Longwood photos you shot:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or