U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 02:32 PM

33 posts, read 26,145 times

Advertisements

This is an interesting article about happenings in and around Mott Haven and the Bronx in general. Some points of interest:

"Chains like Starbucks and the New York Sports Club are setting up shop in the borough, and underused industrial buildings are being redeveloped as shopping malls."

"Then there's the fortress-like American Bank Note Building in the Hunts Point section, a landmark 1909 brick structure where bank notes were printed.
Developers bought it for $32 million and plan to renovate it into offices for arts organizations, design firms and nonprofit groups, along with a retail food market."

"Eight years after Cunningham and her partners bought their 5 story building in Mott Haven, the condo conversion is finished and all but one of the 13 units sold. Prices range from $395,000 to $795,000."

Artists spur gentrification of once-blighted Bronx: Associated Press Business News - MSN Money (http://news.moneycentral.msn.com/provider/providerarticle.aspx?feed=AP&date=20080606&id=8742 417 - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2008, 05:18 PM

40,057 posts, read 29,734,107 times
That's fascinating--it's been going on for more than a decade, but the AP Business News discovered it as of this past June 8. You can see they're right on top of all the latest developments.

Next, they'll discover that there have been changes in Williamsburg, too!

Old 08-04-2008, 05:19 PM

1,915 posts, read 7,132,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
That's fascinating--it's been going on for more than a decade, but the AP Business News discovered it as of this past June 8. You can see they're right on top of all the latest developments.

Next, they'll discover that there have been changes in Williamsburg, too!
...there's been changes in Williamsburg?!! :runs to the press room:

Old 08-04-2008, 05:20 PM

348 posts, read 1,110,130 times
Hypnotizedd - have you ever thought of starting a website dedicated solely to the Bronx and having it be a repository for info about all the great stuff that is going on? I know of a few out there, but I haven't seen one that is a good mix of up-to-date information on all the new development, good photos, a blog or forum, etc. I know you are probably way too busy, but just an idea. Or are there any out there that maybe I haven't come across?

Old 08-04-2008, 05:29 PM

33 posts, read 26,145 times
I have thought about it and with the amount of information I am constantly posting about the Bronx it would probably be very helpful. I am not averse to it...I may some assistance though with creating the website...but sure..why not.

Old 08-04-2008, 05:40 PM

If I were a techie, I'd offer to help set it up. Count me in for any other help needed (creative, content, maintenance, etc.) I really think it's a perfect time - it's all about synergy!!

Old 08-05-2008, 08:54 AM

125 posts, read 99,083 times
I was on the 6 train about 1am last night and this time I only saw 2 Hipsters...nonetheless..that is 3 out of the 3 times I rode the train late at night over the past 2 weeks or so where the Hipsters were noticeable. In addition, the 6 train at 125st is definitely showing an increase in the number of whites overall going up the Bronx/Parkchester as of late. Maybe I am just more sensitive to it now...but I am definitely noting an uptick lately. Anyone else noticing this?

Old 08-05-2008, 09:07 AM

1 posts, read 2,891 times
Hard to think positive about all this "development" going on in the neighborhood when the city is resurrecting the EAU on my street corner (151st and Walton). If anything is going to kill progress on the block, it's the mother of all homeless shelters.

Come to the Pregones theater at 6pm tonight for a Stop the Shelter community meeting if you're interested.

Old 08-05-2008, 09:55 AM

Hypnotizzed - definitely. Every month there are more and more whites moving into Parkchester, so you will see more and more on the 6. Maybe not hipsters but lots of new young people (and one guy the other day walking down the street with his laundry bag that made my jaw drop. He could have been a male model or tv star Yes, things are looking up in Parkchester. Now if only I were 15 years younger. LOL)

Also, more Asian, Indian, Bangladeshi and Africans in their traditional clothing. (I love it!) Everyone doing their "middle-class" thing mixing harmoniously with the black and hispanic long time residents...It's very interesting (heartening, actually) just sitting in the Oval and watching all this going on.

Old 08-05-2008, 10:56 AM

141 posts, read 328,946 times
This is very interesting to me.

I love New York precisely because so many people from all walks of life mingle together, and it saddens me to see rising rent prices cutting back on class diversity. I would love to see what one of the people interviewed in the article would like to see, "a future where upper-middle-class, lower-middle-class and poor people live side by side," but I'm wary of the almost inevitable result of bringing wealthier people into an area, which is that people of lesser means get run out of the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or