U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 01:13 PM

456 posts, read 1,493,469 times

Advertisements

SF has no true subway system. In NY, you walk anywhere two seconds and there is either a cab, subway, or bus. In SF, besides downtown, you have to walk like 20 mins to find those fun disney looking trolleys, or walk even further to find a BART station. they're right, SF is WAY, WAY more walkable then NY!

Actually, I would put Los Angeles at the top of the list. In LA, you would have to walk about 3 hours to get to the next rail. =)

Last edited by SuperKirby; 01-20-2009 at 01:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2009, 07:58 AM

133 posts, read 415,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKirby View Post
SF has no true subway system. In NY, you walk anywhere two seconds and there is either a cab, subway, or bus. In SF, besides downtown, you have to walk like 20 mins to find those fun disney looking trolleys, or walk even further to find a BART station. they're right, SF is WAY, WAY more walkable then NY!

Actually, I would put Los Angeles at the top of the list. In LA, you would have to walk about 3 hours to get to the next rail. =)
Excellent point! What good is walking if there aren't trains to walk to.

Old 01-21-2009, 10:08 AM

40,057 posts, read 29,723,218 times
There was a thread in the General U.S. forum a while back about that "walkerscore" business. It's almost impossible to tell how they came up with their formula to determine what makes a city walkable...but whatever they did, they got it wrong. New York not a more walkable city than any other? Absolutely ridiculous! Nonsensical! Outrageous!

Old 01-21-2009, 05:30 PM

10,236 posts, read 13,526,200 times
San Francisco is a mixed bag for walking, as far as I'm concerned. For much of it one has to be healthy to take on all those hills. I have health limits and have to be really careful to not exert myself when I'm out walking the city, so I utilize the bus and other transit to my advantage whenever I'm there.

I spent 10 days in NY a few months ago and seldom had trouble walking. Parts of the Upper-Eastside have some incline, even reminded me a little of SF. But other than that it is nice and level. The only obstacle to easy walking could be all the pedestrians in that crowded city; however, New Yorkers move FAST. I was amazed at how quickly I was walking with the 5:00 "rush hour foot traffic".

Nah, it's New York over San Francisco.

Old 02-28-2010, 05:48 PM

15,671 posts, read 18,223,008 times
New York.

Heck, I don't even know how San Francisco is more walkable than Washington, D.C.

Old 03-01-2010, 05:59 AM

324 posts, read 569,454 times
I believe these statistics are flawed.

San Francisco is approximately 232 sq miles, while NYC is 469 sq miles.

Old 04-07-2010, 03:55 AM

456 posts, read 1,493,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCity View Post
I believe these statistics are flawed.

San Francisco is approximately 232 sq miles, while NYC is 469 sq miles.

SF is only 46.7 sq miles (the rest is water) NYC is only 305 sq miles (the rest is water)
cant walk on water folks! at least most of us can't.

Old 04-07-2010, 08:46 AM

27,613 posts, read 24,808,715 times
What makes a neighborhood walkable?
  • A center: Walkable neighborhoods have a center, whether it's a main street or a public space.
  • People: Enough people for businesses to flourish and for public transit to run frequently.
  • Mixed income, mixed use: Affordable housing located near businesses.
  • Parks and public space: Plenty of public places to gather and play.
  • Pedestrian design: Buildings are close to the street, parking lots are relegated to the back.
  • Schools and workplaces: Close enough that most residents can walk from their homes.
  • Complete streets: Streets designed for bicyclists, pedestrians, and transit.
By their standards, San Francisco should not be on the list at all because it certainly lacks affordable housing.

Old 04-07-2010, 10:00 AM

20,134 posts, read 21,745,742 times
The methodology is on the site itself. It's easy to see why NYC ranks lower given the methodology since this is all about the percentage of walkable neighborhoods within the city rather than total area of contiguous or overall walkable areas. Certainly Manhattan is far more walkable than SF as is much of the rest of the city. If you look at their graphical overlay for walkable neighborhoods, it's obvious that Staten Island and certain in-city amenities such as the two airports, Pelham Bay Park, and islands such as Governor's will bring the overall percentage down.

It's kind of refreshing to see another area screwed by statistics isn't it? SF, Boston, and DC get it all the time for having such tiny physical boundaries despite being at the heart of some of the largest and most powerful metros in the US.

Old 04-07-2010, 02:40 PM

11,294 posts, read 16,401,159 times
Lol I just walked over a mile in the 90+ degree heat which normally doesn't bother me but I'm not acclimated to Summer yet. If I want to walk to a store I always have to walk a mile.

I think the city's not very walkable areas brought it's score down, plus NYC is very huge geographically.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or