U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 08-05-2008, 09:48 AM
 
Location: Eastchester, Bronx, NY
1,085 posts, read 1,902,362 times
Reputation: 504

Advertisements

I was reading some stuff on the history of Grand Concourse a little while ago and one section saying it was the longest street in the Bronx - which I believe is not true.

So, I wanted to do a quick sanity check to see what are the longest streets in the 5 boroughs since I think I know them all.

Manhattan:
Broadway is #1 by far, I think 2nd Avenue is #2 (Houston to 125th)

The Bronx:
I believe Tremont Avenue is #1, I'm guessing White Plains Road is 2nd. But if you want to count starting points outside the borough, then Broadway is #1 and 3rd Avenue is #2.

Brooklyn:
Bedford Avenue, by far. I think Atlantic Avenue is #2.

Queens:
Northern Boulevard, I think. Or Francis Lewis Boulevard? This one I'm stumped.

Staten Island:
I believe Hylan Boulevard is #1, and I think Victory Boulevard #2.


Just thought I'd throw this out there.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-05-2008, 10:15 AM
 
Location: Queens
536 posts, read 2,091,211 times
Reputation: 166
Hm... Northern Boulevard seems longer, but it might just have more lights... Franny Lou is kinda disjointed after it hits that cemetery, I mean they kind of just named random gridded streets Francis Lewis after that.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2008, 10:25 AM
 
7,079 posts, read 33,722,918 times
Reputation: 4005
Broadway, in one form or another, USED to run all the way up to Albany.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2008, 11:29 AM
 
Location: Confines of the 101 Precinct
19,073 posts, read 32,655,211 times
Reputation: 7563
Manhattan
Broadway, no question

Brooklyn
Bedford Avenue from Manhattan Avenue to Emmons Avenue is 17.9 miles, Atlantic Avenue from Columbia Street to Eldert Lane is 7.3 miles, Flatbush Avenue from Nevins Street to Marine Parkway Bridge is 9.3 miles, Bedford Avenue wins

Bronx
Grand Concourse from E 138 to Mosholu Pkwy is 6.7 miles, East Tremont Avenue from Jerome Avenue to Schurz Avenue is 6.5 miles, Grand Concourse wins

Queens
Northern Boulevard from Queens Boulevard to 254th Street is 13.8 miles, Francis Lewis Boulevard from Cross Island Parkway to Hook Creek Boulevard is 14.9 miles, Jamaica Avenue from Eldert Lane to 250th Street, 8.6 miles, Francis Lewis Boulevard wins

Staten Island
Richmond Terrace from Bay Street to Western Avenue is 6.3 miles, Richmond Avenue from Hyland Boulevard to Forest Avenue is 6.3 miles, Victory Boulevard from Bay Street to Wild Avenue is 7.1 miles, Hylan Boulevard from Bay Street to Craig Avenue is 13.1 miles, Hylan Boulevard wins
__________________
"The man who sleeps on the floor, can never fall out of bed." -Martin Lawrence

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2008, 12:15 PM
 
Location: Queens, N.Y.
661 posts, read 1,000,252 times
Reputation: 766
What about streets that extend into other boroughs? Atlantic Ave continues out of Brooklyn into Queens all the way up to the Van Wyck. Springfield Blvd is also pretty long, probably longer than Woodhaven Blvd, Queens Blvd or Jamaica Ave maybe. Flatbush Ave in Brooklyn as well
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2008, 12:21 PM
 
643 posts, read 1,728,492 times
Reputation: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by K 22 View Post
I was reading some stuff on the history of Grand Concourse a little while ago and one section saying it was the longest street in the Bronx - which I believe is not true.

So, I wanted to do a quick sanity check to see what are the longest streets in the 5 boroughs since I think I know them all.

Manhattan:
Broadway is #1 by far, I think 2nd Avenue is #2 (Houston to 125th)

The Bronx:
I believe Tremont Avenue is #1, I'm guessing White Plains Road is 2nd. But if you want to count starting points outside the borough, then Broadway is #1 and 3rd Avenue is #2.

Brooklyn:
Bedford Avenue, by far. I think Atlantic Avenue is #2.

Queens:
Northern Boulevard, I think. Or Francis Lewis Boulevard? This one I'm stumped.

Staten Island:
I believe Hylan Boulevard is #1, and I think Victory Boulevard #2.


Just thought I'd throw this out there.
Northern Blvd goes from Queens Plaza to the City line and continues into Nassau and Suffolk.

Jamaica Avenue starts in Brooklyn and becomes Jericho Turnpike in Nassau and continues into Suffolk.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2008, 12:37 PM
 
Location: Confines of the 101 Precinct
19,073 posts, read 32,655,211 times
Reputation: 7563
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhf1979 View Post
Northern Blvd goes from Queens Plaza to the City line and continues into Nassau and Suffolk.

Jamaica Avenue starts in Brooklyn and becomes Jericho Turnpike in Nassau and continues into Suffolk.
Sunrise Highway starts in Montauk, turns into North and South Conduit Avenues in Queens, which then turns into Linden Boulevard in Brooklyn, which then turns into Caton Avenue, also in Brooklyn. But its all Route 27.
__________________
"The man who sleeps on the floor, can never fall out of bed." -Martin Lawrence

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2008, 12:43 PM
 
Location: Washington, DC & New York
10,750 posts, read 25,521,951 times
Reputation: 6676
I always thought the Grand Concourse was on the order of 5 miles, even with the epansion below 161st after the original design, hence the narrower roadway as it proceeds to the south. So, I checked on Google Maps, and I see the 6.7 mile trip that is quoted, but that route goes up the Deegan and back to Mosholu & Grand Concourse, dragging the route to the Concourse puts it at a little over 5 miles. Perhaps what the OP's source intended to say is that it is the largest boulevard in the borough, on the order of 180 feet wide in places, originally having been modeled on the Champs-Elysees; and while it is not the the longest, it is one of the largest in road area with the three roadways and medians.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2008, 01:24 PM
 
Location: Confines of the 101 Precinct
19,073 posts, read 32,655,211 times
Reputation: 7563
nahh i think the OP meant length, because between grand concourse and east tremont ave, he was unsure which was longer between the two. and east tremont is nowhere as wide as the concourse.
__________________
"The man who sleeps on the floor, can never fall out of bed." -Martin Lawrence

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2008, 03:16 PM
 
643 posts, read 1,728,492 times
Reputation: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Sunrise Highway starts in Montauk, turns into North and South Conduit Avenues in Queens, which then turns into Linden Boulevard in Brooklyn, which then turns into Caton Avenue, also in Brooklyn. But its all Route 27.

Good call, I forgot about that one.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top