Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2007, 02:15 PM

4 posts, read 19,517 times

Advertisements

Hi all, just wanna ask a few questions about apts and their neighbourhoods. I'm concentrating my apt searching on these areas: Astoria, LIC, Brooklyn Heights, Williamsburg. Basically anywhere that's right next to Manhattan. So here are my questions:

Is craigslist the best place to look for apts?

I've been living in big cities most of my life (born and raised in HK, and I visit NYC pretty often), so noise is not a factor, I just want to be able to walk outside and have access to everything I need (subway, food, grocery, laundry, bars), so which area I mentioned above suits me best?

Are the areas I mentioned above generally safe? I know 'safe' is very relative, but are there any streets/blocks/areas that I definitely need to stay away from?

A little bit about myself: I'm 29 male, chinese, single, very active, loves trying out new things, esp with restaurants and bars.

Thanks in advance for answering any of my questions, and if you know someone who's renting a 1bdr or studio, feel free to pm me. Cheers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2007, 02:54 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,112,167 times
I think your list is good for convenience to services and subway. If you select Williamsburg, you might want to stay on the "L" line which runs more regularly than South Williamsburg service stations.

craigslist is a good choice for listings. You might also pick up the Village Voice and/or the New York Times--both of which traditionally have major rental listings. The Voice is free!

And as far as safety is concerned I think all these neighbourhoods are reasonably safe: of the neighbourhoods you've named Brooklyn Heights might be the most expensive--it has traditionally been a residential neighbourhood while over the years LIC, and Astoria have shifted somewhat between commercial and residential. Williamsburg is a mixed commerical and residential area, too--with many folks living in former semi-commercial properties.

Good luck in your search!

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtonyc View Post
Hi all, just wanna ask a few questions about apts and their neighbourhoods. I'm concentrating my apt searching on these areas: Astoria, LIC, Brooklyn Heights, Williamsburg. Basically anywhere that's right next to Manhattan. So here are my questions:

Is craigslist the best place to look for apts?

I've been living in big cities most of my life (born and raised in HK, and I visit NYC pretty often), so noise is not a factor, I just want to be able to walk outside and have access to everything I need (subway, food, grocery, laundry, bars), so which area I mentioned above suits me best?

Are the areas I mentioned above generally safe? I know 'safe' is very relative, but are there any streets/blocks/areas that I definitely need to stay away from?

A little bit about myself: I'm 29 male, chinese, single, very active, loves trying out new things, esp with restaurants and bars.

Thanks in advance for answering any of my questions, and if you know someone who's renting a 1bdr or studio, feel free to pm me. Cheers.

Old 01-24-2007, 03:57 PM

517 posts, read 2,484,516 times
I've tried to find apts on craigslist, and some friends have been successful there, but for me I've always wound up going through a realtor. It seems like a lot of buildings work through real estate agencies exclusively. It can be hard to find a good real estate rental person to work with, and of course there is a fee, so I can understand wanting to cut out the middle man. Good luck! Hope you find a great place.

Old 01-25-2007, 07:52 AM

4 posts, read 19,517 times
I've noticed on craigslist alot of them, esp the nicer apts, are listed via realtors. of course the ideal plan for me is not to go thru someone, especially if i have to pay 1st+last month and deposit on top of the broker's fee. However, if anyone knows a good realtor, I'll be gladly to take the names and numbers. Cheers.

Old 01-28-2007, 11:06 PM

500 posts, read 2,859,221 times
Ellen, I don't think your criteria of "transportation and small stores= safety" is correct. There are one too many neighborhoods in New York City where a subway stop and a corner shop mean absolutely nothing in terms of staying alive.

That said, yes, New York is a big safe city.

Now, stop advertising your website. It's against the rules.

Cheers-

Old 01-29-2007, 01:16 PM

284 posts, read 1,656,926 times
You may have good luck contacting the apartment buildings directly. This list on the Columbia website is helpful. Most are for Manhattan, but there are some Queens and Brooklyn listings.

http://www.columbia.edu/cu/ire/ocha/links.html#lmc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: