U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 08:08 PM

3,861 posts, read 10,093,757 times

Advertisements

A question for any old-time New Yorkers here.

Gentrification seems to be steadily moving up the island. In 1960 where would you say the nice areas stopped on the UES and UWS. Then in 1970 where was that invisible line? 1980? 1990? 2000? Today? Just curious.

And do you see a point where it just physically, demographically, architecturally, or infrastructurally can't progress any further north?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2007, 01:15 AM

2,806 posts, read 14,971,091 times
I was reading about this in the NY Times archives. I think it was in the 1980s that the Upper East Side extended only to the mid-80s or so. Now of course it is at 96th st.

It is hard for it to get up past 96th street. There are a couple of reasons for this. The first is that the Metro North trains pop out of the Park Ave tunnel at 97th street which makes a lot of noise and rumbling in the neighborhood. Another thing is the hill around 96th street which physically divides the area.

The most important thing in my mind though are the housing projects of East Harlem. I believe East Harlem has the largest concentration of housing projects of any neighborhood in the city. Developers can't buy up housing projects, which as a result makes it difficult to change the area into a more upscale location.

Old 04-19-2007, 04:40 AM

7,079 posts, read 33,733,092 times
I was brought up on the UES - and went to school there. It IS boring, compared to the UWS. It used to be more expensive than the UWS, but now is less costly with respect to housing. Much of my family still lives there, because it's convenient for work, my nephew/niece's schools and Central Park. It's an area of families AND singles, though some places, like the upper 90s, seem to have more singles.

It's quiet, has its own version of Zabar's (Eli's on Third Ave and 80th St) but no Fairway and no Whole Foods, sadly.

To get to Penn Station, I'd recommend the West Side - not that it's AWFUL from the East Side: you'd have to take the train to 42nd, then the shuttle, then another train to Penn Station. From the West Side it'd be one train if you take the Broadway IRT. BUT you REALLY want to live in NY and work in Morristown? I did a reverse commute for years from the West Side to Nutley, NJ (much closer, and shorter, than your commute) and I thought it was NUTS.

Old 04-19-2007, 02:55 PM

359 posts, read 2,395,858 times
Not as many movie stars tend to live there, but in my experiences people are a hell of alot more stuck up there. Not sure why. Ive seen alot of families in this area probably because there is less to do and not as much nightlife.

Old 04-20-2007, 08:34 AM

9,832 posts, read 21,499,159 times
The UES is boring and overrated. Its cachet is being near central park and the fancy address. It is a pretty stale neighborhood, the UWS is a more rounded neighborhood with more character.

Old 04-23-2007, 09:51 PM

242 posts, read 917,056 times
As was said, the UES is stale and generic. Normandy Court and the apt buildings near there do give the just out of college crowd decently priced living, albeit many convert 1 bedrooms to 2 bedrooms with temp walls and the like. The affordable living for that younger crowd does generate some nightlife, although it is also boring and stale. Frat Parties moved to characterless bars dominate. Doesn't ever seem like a true Manhattan experience being there...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or