U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 07:44 PM

9,400 posts, read 16,013,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by that_girl_melissa View Post
Thank you so much for your help (everyone)
I have a lot of researching to do. Thats great that google maps marks the subway stations. I love this city-data forum, it's such a good resource to check out the opinions of locals, which is SO important and a lot better than trying to find new yorkers on chat :P

THANKS AGAIN

You're very welcome. This forum is a great resource for those relocating, and I am sure that you will get many opinions from New Yorkers on all your questions. There are some great areas in all boroughs, and I am sure you will be very happy once settled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2008, 01:58 PM

8 posts, read 23,882 times
I think so too Now it's just a matter of getting there. (NCLEX exam for nurses, licence in new york state to be a nurse, TN visa... then decide if I want to relocate as a travel nurse and possibly get thrown into a bad hospital situation (too many patients per nurse) but NOT have to pay rent, or trying to find a permanent job otherwise and having to pay to fly myself there and back for interviews. Right now I'm looking into a couple of travel nursing companies that can get me down to new york... then I'll have time to look at houses in person

Old 08-15-2008, 02:42 PM

10,364 posts, read 18,828,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by that_girl_melissa View Post
What is Mariners Harbor like? Do the homes there not have basements because they are too close to sea level? Is the area close enough to the ferry to walk? Is it close to the train? I wonder why homes are so cheap there...
Mariner's Harbor is not one of the best areas of staten island, its an above-average crime area, and pretty far from the SI Ferry. Also has public housing (Mariner's Harbor Houses) and a Mitchell-Lama development (Arlington Terrace) that adds crime to the area. The quickest way to Manhattan is an express bus that stops at South Avenue and Richmond Terrace which is $5 one-way.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 08-15-2008, 07:12 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,038,323 times
Default That Girl Melissa

The Concord area has a big city project near Targee that I would not recommend to you living near it, if you are a woman living by yourself. Mariner's Harbor area is a ghetto area, plain and simple. Staten Island has many, many areas much better than those two. Good-luck!

Old 08-16-2008, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUBIES77 View Post
The Concord area has a big city project near Targee that I would not recommend to you living near it, if you are a woman living by yourself. Mariner's Harbor area is a ghetto area, plain and simple. Staten Island has many, many areas much better than those two. Good-luck!
Park Hill is not owned by the city. It is owned by Fox Hills Mgmt.

Old 08-17-2008, 07:21 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,038,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Park Hill is not owned by the city. It is owned by Fox Hills Mgmt.
It may not be owned by the City, but nonetheless, is full of crime.

Old 08-18-2008, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUBIES77 View Post
It may not be owned by the City, but nonetheless, is full of crime.
well that's true, its not the best of areas. i didnt even know staten island had bad areas until i went out there.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City