U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 05:45 PM

2,954 posts, read 7,426,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesbabe View Post
Something else, too, though, is that tipping is not a common practice in some foreign countries. I believe it isn't done in France. (Is there someone who can confirm this?)
Service is included in the prices in most western European countries and waiters are paid a straight salary (not $2/hour on the assumption they'll live off tips). In France it's still customary to leave a token something on top of the bill, but this can be quite small. In Germany people tend to leave a bit more than in France but way less than 15% or 20%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2008, 06:17 PM

8,904 posts, read 5,879,819 times
I take the M60 to and from work everyday. It goes to/from Laguardia in case you don't know. I can always tell who's a tourist and who's a local. You can tell by the way they park themselves and their suitcase and how careless/careful they are with it when they walk down the aisle. It's a real pain when the tourists don't notice the others around them and hit their suitcases into your leg and don't apologize. They also stand in the middle of the aisle and don't move back when others are getting onto the bus.

Old 11-19-2008, 01:02 AM

7,551 posts, read 7,105,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by holden125 View Post
Service is included in the prices in most western European countries and waiters are paid a straight salary (not $2/hour on the assumption they'll live off tips). In France it's still customary to leave a token something on top of the bill, but this can be quite small. In Germany people tend to leave a bit more than in France but way less than 15% or 20%.
Thank you. I hate it when I catch myself "saying" something when I'm not absolutely certain of what's popped out.

Old 01-06-2009, 05:16 AM

34 posts, read 110,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
A few things that are dead giveaways,

-They look very lost
-They are on those goofy double decker buses
-They stop and look up at the buildings while walking
-Taking pictures on the Subway
-They stare at you or a native New Yorker in general like they have never seen someone like you ever
-They are amazed by the times square area
-They are happier than most New Yorkers
-Walking around with a map
-Have a huge backpack strapped to their back
-If they do any of the above, and happen to be a couple or a group and they talk in a foreign language
Uh-oh, I'm in for the overkill I guess, lol. I'm doing one of those double decker tour bus rides....just to take in as much of the city as I can for the day I'm going to be there. These are some good things to observe. I was told not to look up a lot in awe or stare. I think it's going to be hard to keep a sense of what not to do to be so obvious among all the excitement of seeing NYC for the first time. Unless at Disney, trekking wilderness or the beach, backpacks/fanny packs and sun visors have never been a traveling necessity..ew!

Old 01-06-2009, 05:34 AM

11,013 posts, read 14,041,995 times
Default They are the ones

who stay at the Hilton Gardens Hotel on 8th Ave and 48th street, and just after leaving the hotel they stop to gaze into Engine Company 54 across the street, home of many of the firefighters who lost their lives on 9/11. Then they continue on to Broadway to Virgin Megastore or Toys R us, etc

Old 01-06-2009, 07:13 AM

6,972 posts, read 11,724,228 times
Quote:
Taking pictures on the Subway
lol

Old 01-06-2009, 09:18 AM

716 posts, read 1,387,150 times
A bit more obscure:

1. Carrying more than one Century 21 bag
2. Unusual backpack or sneaker brands
3. Often wear dark clothing, puffy jackets and skin tight jeans
4. Congregate in circles in the middle of the sidewalk
5. Lean on the entire pole inside the train
6. Walk around eating a giant pretzel
7. Walk slowly or stop in the middle of the sidewalk
8. Have to look at subway signs in the station to determine path
9. Carrying bags from the MnMs or NBC store, i suppose this is a bit obvious
10. Wearing Mickey Mouse t-shirt or State Champion Cheerleading/Baseball/Field Hockey sweatshirt

Old 01-06-2009, 12:54 PM

24 posts, read 60,393 times
I used to work on 5th Ave b/t 57th & 58th, prime tourist central, with the Plaza, big Apple Store, Central Park, Grand Army Plaza, Bergdorf, FAO Schwartz, Trump Tower, Tiffany, etc. all within a 1 block radius. The tourists that stuck out the most to me were the wealthy Europeans/Asians/South Americans, who were clearly NOT in a recession, impeccably dressed with designer handbags and huge shopping bags from Chanel, Louis Vuitton, Gucci, Bergdorf, Bendel's, etc.

I live downtown and can usually spot tourists by a lot of the ways many people have already said, walking in huge groups blocking the sidewalk, staring at a map and street sign and back to the map again, backpacks, cameras, etc. Also taking pictures of random things.

I walked by a couple in SoHo who took a picture in front of an empty storefront. I mean, really? Or the ones who take photos of fire trucks, police cars, ambulances or subways as they pull into the station are often tourists.

Something that PISSES ME OFF that I have seen tourists do, down at Ground Zero, is when they pose for photos with smiles on their faces. Like its the Empire State Building or something! That always really offends me. Nearly 3,000 people died there, show some respect! When I went to Auschwitz in high school, I didn't strike a pose in front of the gas chambers!

Old 01-06-2009, 03:42 PM

682 posts, read 653,899 times
Default They walk really, really SLOWLY

NYC used to be a fast paced town. It is now filled with "meanderthals" - idiots who don't know how to WALK. They waddle, cluelessly, in the middle of the sidewalk.

"Excuse me" is wasted on them. "Yo - STUPID!!! Welcome to the big city, learn to MOVE!!!!" accompanied by a medium hard shove, works well.

Old 01-06-2009, 04:10 PM

4,828 posts, read 3,902,872 times
I felt bad for a family the other morning on my way to work! They decided to stop and look at their map! This was down on the corner of Church and Ann st.! This was during rush hour the poor family couldn't figure out how to merge back into the flow! They tried a couple of times but they were just to timid! I wanted to help them but I didn't have time! I wonder how long it took them to get out of there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City