U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 10:46 AM

838 posts, read 260,635 times

Advertisements

Good Morning NYers!
I would really like to go to Central Park today, but I have a question. What can you buy/rent there, other than the obvious? I know that there are ice cream stands and art stands. But I am curious to know if I would be able to rent a bike or something like that? And for how much?
I realized the other weekend, when coming back from Central Park with my parents, that you are not allowed to bring bikes on the train or in the subway....so I wonder how I would ever be able to buy a bike and ride it at Central Park...? Anyhow...can anyone tell me what fun stuff there is to do there? I just want to get out of the house and sniff some fresh greenery. I hate being cooped up. Thanks for all of your suggestions in advance! If you know prices please include them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2008, 10:50 AM

90 posts, read 295,634 times
Hi page3000,

I believe that you are allowed to bring bikes on the subway. One of the most recent subway advertising campaigns from the MTA is actually about askign bike riders to let others off before bringing their bikes on board.

I've seen bikes being rented near the Columbus Circle entrance to the park, but don't know much about prices.

Hope that helps in case you do have your own bike.

Old 08-15-2008, 12:07 PM

3,225 posts, read 5,381,605 times
many years ago I rented a row boat in Central Park on the EastSide. I believe it's called the Boathouse or something. Was fun except I almost hit another boater in the head by accident with my oars. Partially his fault, though, as he was reading a book while his two little daughters were rowing.

better luck for you and enjoy the day there!

Old 08-15-2008, 02:36 PM

335 posts, read 861,422 times
You can rent bikes at several locations in the park.

You can rent a row boat, where else but at the boathouse.

You can rent little radio controlled sail boats that are sort of fund to sail around Conservatory water

You can get a bamboo fishing pole for free at Harlem Meer

What else are you looking for?

Old 08-15-2008, 02:38 PM

10,302 posts, read 18,593,986 times
the boathouse is cool! i think its $20 for an hour, last time i went.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 08-15-2008, 04:06 PM

Oh the bamboo fishing pole...that sounds cool. What's up with this boathouse stuff? I've seen that little lake where they have the remote controlled boats..what about the rest. I think I am going to try to look this up even more. A boat that I can ride in sounds even MORE fun...$20 an hour isn't too bad either.

Old 08-15-2008, 04:08 PM

Central Park Boathouse* ::Welcome to Central Park's hidden secret::

Found what I needed!
$10 an hour..NOT BAD!!! I am dragging my bf's ***** down there now!
I'm tired of not getting out ! LOL. Thanks for your help everyone

Old 06-02-2010, 10:15 PM

1 posts, read 1,523 times
Try Bike Rental Central Park, they are located at 348 W 57 ST just off 9th AVE. Their phone number is 212-664-9600 and their website is Central Park Bike Rental & Bike Tours | BikeRentalCentralPark.com and if you reserve online you can get as much as 50% discount. This is the best bike rental selection in the city.

Old 01-12-2011, 06:05 PM

1 posts, read 1,305 times
You should definitely rent a bike in Central Park or take a bicycle tour. It's probably the most relaxing and enjoyable way to see Central Park. Be sure to visit the North end of Central Park. You will be amazed, how different it is. I'm sure that even some of the New Yorkers haven't been to the Ravine (def. visit that place).
I can recommend using [url="http://www.centralparktours.net"]Central Park Tours & Bike Rentals :: Ranked #1 New York Tour Company[/url]

They are ranked really well in TripAdvisor and as far as I know the owners do the tours themselves.

Good Luck and Njoy the Big Apple

Last edited by mrxx; 01-12-2011 at 06:14 PM.. Reason: mistake

Old 04-20-2011, 12:38 AM

1 posts, read 1,139 times
Try this link

http://www.classifiedads.com/bicycles-ad4319861.htm (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City