Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 07:34 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,835,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jax78 View Post
Not to hijack the thread, but how do you make 58,000 if it's your second year? I'm a third year NYC teacher with my M.S. and I will be making less than that (I think $54,000- I have to check the steps). Do you have your M.S. +30 or something?
I'm on the Masters step, plus the 3400 extra I get for working in Title 1 school. Then I work part-time over the summer.

Sorry mods for being off-topic, please resume the topic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2008, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles View Post
You have a good head on your shoulders, Rachel.

Thanks. I wish more people were a lot less materialistic. I'd rather be able to afford a house than buying things just to keep up with the Jonses going broke lol

Old 08-15-2008, 07:42 PM

112 posts, read 324,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Thanks. I wish more people were a lot less materialistic. I'd rather be able to afford a house than buying things just to keep up with the Jonses going broke lol
Gosh, I know!

Old 08-15-2008, 07:46 PM

76 posts, read 404,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzymentality View Post
I've always been interested in living in NYC. Yet comments such as, "Oh, you don't want to live in NYC, it's just for the rich now and it's not as good as it used to be.." made me wonder if the "playground for the rich" was only located in Manhattan. Where would all the "average or below-average" classed people go??
KOA Campgrounds

Old 08-15-2008, 07:46 PM

283 posts, read 1,069,737 times
Manhattan is expensive if you want to sign a new lease on an apartment. Middle-class people who have rent-stabilized or rent-controlled apartments and have been there for a long time, it's probably still relatively affordable. Don't forget, rents are higher but it's one of the only places in the country where a family can get easily away with not having two (or more) cars, and that's a huge expense.

That said, at the rate things are going, it's hard to imagine how there will be ANY middle class residents left in Manhattan in another few decades.

Old 08-15-2008, 08:53 PM

203 posts, read 509,580 times
Ok. So is it ONLY Manhattan who's population of middle class people declining? Or is it other boroughs too, such as Queens and the Bronx?

Old 08-15-2008, 09:20 PM

2,541 posts, read 11,304,701 times
Well the middle class left for the burbs a long long time ago

It is actually the poor immigrants who are being forced out of Manhattan

The villages, chelsea, hell's kitchen, LES lost their middle class before I was born

They all moved to the burbs to raise families

Heck even Jimmy Coonan leader of the westies moved to Jerz

All the poor that used to be in the LES, hell's kitchen, chelsea, the villages that were pushed out

Now it is happening to the hispanics, and blacks uptown

Old 08-15-2008, 10:24 PM

Most people I know on Long island chose to live there, even if they could afford the city. Most just want the open space to raise kids. My parents were the same way. We could have stayed in Queens or bought my grandma's apartment in Manhattan (Chelsea) when she passed, but we didn't. This was when prices in Manhattan were down, like in the early 90s. My fiance and I are at that stage right now. We could live in the city, but would rather raise kids on Long Island.

Old 08-15-2008, 10:56 PM

838 posts, read 1,202,394 times
I'm from California and NYC wasn't a shock in price @ all to me. Of course if you want to live in the Upper East Side in Manhattan...well you're in for a pleasant awakening. But like EVERY city...the inner city and downtown are usually more expensive.

Old 08-15-2008, 11:55 PM

629 posts, read 896,541 times
Why are you guys singing a different tune now? I aint trying to get cute with anyone either. Middle class being pushed out, just poor immigrants left, no middle class in decades to come. This is what I was trying to get across to all u guys when u were bum rapping other cities. People here, talking about making 60 grand, and being real careful, watching every dime. That's what I've been saying. An outsider moving here, who wasnt born here, who doesnt have a big fancy job, will probably find this place OVERRATED! I was just trying to point out, that there are some other great cities out there, and they are alot easier on the working class. If u love this place ,great. If not, have your fun here, then move on. What was so different about what I was saying?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City